Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 01:12 PM

882 posts, read 335,648 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the reasoning. It doesn't prohibit oxygen intake. It's been shown time and time again that if two people that are standing close to each other are both wearing masks, that the probability of COVID infection from a syptomatic or asyptomatic carrier are reduced.

It's just not that big of a deal and I'm struggling to understand what valid reasons some people would have to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 01:35 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
I don't understand the reasoning. It doesn't prohibit oxygen intake. It's been shown time and time again that if two people that are standing close to each other are both wearing masks, that the probability of COVID infection from a syptomatic or asyptomatic carrier are reduced.

It's just not that big of a deal and I'm struggling to understand what valid reasons some people would have to it.

it is very uncomfortable for some people.

I ignore the politics of it, because there are plenty of people of all demographics without a mask. In the East End especially, so make a conclusion from that.

It is a minor inconvenience that is a gesture of cooperation, and regard for other people's safety. Since idiots on the roads and their driving habits has always been a peeve of mine, i'll say this is similar to tailgating (driving too closely, as if it will get someone to go faster for your benefit). Many times, its rude but nothing happens - no wreck, no bodily damage. Yet, NO ONE WANTS TO BE PUT INTO RISK BY THE ACTIONS OF ANOTHER, right?

Just wear a mask already. sheesh.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:52 PM

882 posts, read 335,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
it is very uncomfortable for some people.

I ignore the politics of it, because there are plenty of people of all demographics without a mask. In the East End especially, so make a conclusion from that.

It is a minor inconvenience that is a gesture of cooperation, and regard for other people's safety. Since idiots on the roads and their driving habits has always been a peeve of mine, i'll say this is similar to tailgating (driving too closely, as if it will get someone to go faster for your benefit). Many times, its rude but nothing happens - no wreck, no bodily damage. Yet, NO ONE WANTS TO BE PUT INTO RISK BY THE ACTIONS OF ANOTHER, right?

Just wear a mask already. sheesh.

Yeah, I'm not talking about politics at all. I've witnessed plenty of idiots on all sides of the political spectrum.

I just find it kind of crazy that this is the hill that some people are (literally and figuratively) willing to die on. I'm curious what justification they make with themselves to behave in such a way.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:09 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
It reduces oxygen intake by at least 20%, it doesn't stop a virus much at all, and its another surface for germs, bacteria and viruses to collect right next to you nose and mouth. CDC study based on flu virus says it does not prevent it at all.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:10 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
Their daddy figure in the White House and his surrogates have signaled to them that masks are for liberals. That's all there is to it.

In 2020, playing at being Typhoid Mary is now a political issue.
Are you saying only Republicans don’t wear masks?

If the borders stay closed after this is over there should be no worries about more pandemic concerns, especially from China who is becoming quite famous for major health concerns, here.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:12 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
It reduces oxygen intake by at least 20%, it doesn't stop a virus much at all, and its another surface for germs, bacteria and viruses to collect right next to you nose and mouth. CDC study based on flu virus says it does not prevent it at all.
Bingo

Old 07-19-2020, 02:18 PM

806 posts, read 260,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post

Absolutely none of this is true.

"It's somehow restrictive enough to reduce oxygen intake but not good enough to stop a virus" is a good bit of cognitive dissonance, though.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:18 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,708,723 times
Politics and poor communication from our leaders. Period.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:19 PM

806 posts, read 260,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Are you saying only Republicans don’t wear masks?

If the borders stay closed after this is over there should be no worries about more pandemic concerns, especially from China who is becoming quite famous for major health concerns, here.

Yep. In my experience mask wearing breaks down almost entirely on political affiliation.

A lot of Republicans also wear masks, but people that don't in my experience are exclusively republican or libertarian.

You don't have to worry about the borders staying closed, no other country is going to want dirty, disease-spreading Americans to visit after this.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:21 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
Yep. In my experience mask wearing breaks down almost entirely on political affiliation.

A lot of Republicans also wear masks, but people that don't in my experience are exclusively republican or libertarian.

You don't have to worry about the borders staying closed, no other country is going to want dirty, disease-spreading Americans to visit after this.

Which means its completely political. thanks for admitting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh