Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2020, 08:36 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
You're working from the Dinesh D'Souza playbook. Ask people to present evidence and then ignore it. If that Lancet study isn't good enough for you to understand that face coverings are efficacious in preventing the spread of disease, nothing is.

Make no mistake, "masks don't prevent the spread of respiratory diseases" is a loony conspiracy theory. It speaks volumes that you think that taking protective measures against the spread of disease is "being duped." It costs you absolutely nothing to wear a mask.

I have a friend who has been living in the UK for the past five years. He's on vacation now, on the beach in Greece. He can do that because they took measures to prevent the spread of disease and got mostly back to normal.

We're still closed down here with escalating cases and the worst is yet to come because a few obstinate people choose to believe conspiracy theories over scientific established fact and don't think they need to help prevent the spread of this disease. We're a deeply dysfunctional society.
What percentage of people aren’t wearing masks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 08:42 AM

882 posts, read 335,648 times
Quote:
You're working from the Dinesh D'Souza playbook. Ask people to present evidence and then ignore it. If that Lancet study isn't good enough for you to understand that face coverings are efficacious in preventing the spread of disease, nothing is.

Make no mistake, "masks don't prevent the spread of respiratory diseases" is a loony conspiracy theory. It speaks volumes that you think that taking protective measures against the spread of disease is "being duped." It costs you absolutely nothing to wear a mask.

I have a friend who has been living in the UK for the past five years. He's on vacation now, on the beach in Greece. He can do that because they took measures to prevent the spread of disease and got mostly back to normal.

We're still closed down here with escalating cases and the worst is yet to come because a few obstinate people choose to believe conspiracy theories over scientific established fact and don't think they need to help prevent the spread of this disease. We're a deeply dysfunctional society.

It's impossible to have a serious discussion with someone that doesn't argue in good faith. I think you just have to resign yourself to the fact that some people are intransigent regardless of facts, and will continually deflect. Their aim is not to engage in meaningful debate, but to bob, weave and obfuscate to the point where it becomes not worth the time and effort, so you disengage. That person then declares victory and becomes even more set in their ways.

It's really no different at all than the flat earthers. It takes an extraordinary event to break through the concrete barrier they've built around their brains, or it takes them dying while crashing their homemade rocket to disprove the curvature of the earth (or like the case of Chuck Wollery, it takes his son contracting COVID to admit that it's not a hoax). Some people rationalize their belief system—even if reality counters it—simply because it’s difficult to be in the wrong.

It's not worth your time to argue with someone incapable, and therefore unwilling to debate in good faith.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:43 AM

806 posts, read 260,447 times
Enough for the EU to ban us because we're filthy disease vectors.

My friend hasn't been back to the US since last year and doesn't plan on coming back any time soon.

Greece certainly does look nice this time of year, though.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
It's impossible to have a serious discussion with someone that doesn't argue in good faith. I think you just have to resign yourself to the fact that some people are intransigent regardless of facts, and will continually deflect. Their aim is not to engage in meaningful debate, but to bob, weave and obfuscate to the point where it becomes not worth the time and effort, so you disengage. That person then declares victory and becomes even more set in their ways.

It's really no different at all than the flat earthers. It takes an extraordinary event to break through the concrete barrier they've built around their brains, or it takes them dying while crashing their homemade rocket to disprove the curvature of the earth (or like the case of Chuck Wollery, it takes his son contracting COVID to admit that it's not a hoax).

It's not worth your time to argue with someone incapable, and therefore unwilling to debate in good faith.
Maybe not, but for every true believer contrarian there are any number of people reading who will take something away from it, ie debunking the "hospitals get more money for covid-19 patients" conspiracy theory.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:57 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times
Quote:

You are subscribing to conspiracy theories about masks and their efficacy. No different than the guy earlier who insisted without evidence that hospitals are lying about covid-19 deaths to get more money.
The WHO ranked the US 72nd healthiest country for years. No wonder. While other countries are back to business the US is for some reason (lol) still steeped in doo-doo. Hmmm, why? The US healthcare system is a sham based on needless, yet profitable, drugs, surgeries, vaccines, procedures, etc., etc. They're killing my parents who are on 567 prescriptions. Why trust them now? I don't and many agree. The motive is profit, despite "non-profit" status. Ask Jeff Romoff. Ask my parents, and many other seniors, who are on endless prescription drugs for life. It's an embarassment.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
The WHO ranked the US 72nd healthiest country for years. No wonder. While other countries are back to business the US is for some reason (lol) still steeped in doo-doo. Hmmm, why? The US healthcare system is a sham based on needless, yet profitable, drugs, surgeries, vaccines, procedures, etc., etc. They're killing my parents who are on 567 prescriptions. Why trust them now? I don't and many agree. The motive is profit, despite "non-profit" status. Ask Jeff Romoff. Ask my parents, and many other seniors, who are on endless prescription drugs for life. It's an embarassment.
The US is a culture steeped in excess for the sake of excess. That plus a lack of access to healthcare are to a large degree the problem.

A few years back NPR ran a story on people looking for testosterone replacement therapy. One of the guys in question said that he went to multiple doctors but none of them would "help him" until he found one of these shady hormone replacement clinics that would write him a script for testosterone therapy.

He let slip in the story that he was morbidly obese, to the point that it was interfering with his secondary sexual characteristics and disrupting his testosterone production. The doctors who "weren't helping" were telling him that he needed to lose weight if he wanted to get back to normal instead of just giving him a miracle pill.

We're addicted to excess and when the bill comes due for that excess we choose quick fixes over hard work.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post

It's really no different at all than the flat earthers. It takes an extraordinary event to break through the concrete barrier they've built around their brains, or it takes them dying while crashing their homemade rocket to disprove the curvature of the earth (or like the case of Chuck Wollery, it takes his son contracting COVID to admit that it's not a hoax). Some people rationalize their belief system—even if reality counters it—simply because it’s difficult to be in the wrong.

When I see scientific stats that show particles comparisons with different types of masks, I’ll be quite happy. The posts presented are right up there with thinking only Republicans don’t wear masks.

Don’t recall anyone here saying it’s a hoax.

What percentage of people aren’t wearing masks?

Old 07-20-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Enough for the EU to ban us because we're filthy disease vectors.

My friend hasn't been back to the US since last year and doesn't plan on coming back any time soon.

Greece certainly does look nice this time of year, though.
Hopefully there’s many that follow his thoughts.

Sounds like a great place for you to take up residence, especially since when this is done and gone, history shows that another major health issue will make its way into the US.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Hopefully there’s many that follow his thoughts.

Sounds like a great place for you to take up residence, especially since when this is done and gone, history shows that another major health issue will make its way into the US.
Nah. America's future belongs to the young and liberal. This current moment in politics is just the dying spasms of an obsolete movement.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
When I see scientific stats that show particles comparisons with different types of masks, I’ll be quite happy.
You're asking for something that's completely irrelevant to how respiratory viruses spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh