Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2020, 11:40 AM

882 posts, read 335,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
As mentioned before, not everyone is scared of a virus with a 98%+ survival rate, and 99.8 has even been touted, combined with the fact that there’s scientific stats lacking in regards to mask usage.

Just heard Bob Walk on the Fan saying he had the virus, he and his wife rarely ever left the house and never without a mask, only got curbside takeout, delivery, etc..., and still ended up with it.

I'm not sure why wearing masks has to be framed as being "scared".

Do you personally wear a mask when you go to a retail store (assuming the store gives you the choice)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 11:40 AM

806 posts, read 260,513 times
Quote:
As mentioned before, not everyone is scared of a virus with a 98%+ survival rate, and 99.8 has even been touted, combined with the fact that there’s scientific stats lacking in regards to mask usage.

Just heard Bob Walk on the Fan saying he had the virus, he and his wife rarely ever left the house and never without a mask, only got curbside takeout, delivery, etc..., and still ended up with it.
Once again, a 98%+ survival rate still means millions of dead people over the course of this pandemic.

Wearing masks is a cheap, easy way to keep the number of dead people down.

It isn't a matter of "being scared," it's a matter of not wanting preventable deaths piling up.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:10 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
Their daddy figure in the White House and his surrogates have signaled to them that masks are for liberals. That's all there is to it ..... .
That explains all of the photos and videos of people in NYC, Central park and Chicago not wearing masks.

Who knew they became Trump Country.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:16 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times
We`ve become the Covid 19 sanctuary country. How embarrassing is that?

Old 07-21-2020, 12:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Once again, a 98%+ survival rate still means millions of dead people over the course of this pandemic.

Wearing masks is a cheap, easy way to keep the number of dead people down.

It isn't a matter of "being scared," it's a matter of not wanting preventable deaths piling up.
Once again, “proposed” doesn’t mean actual.

Do you say anything or offer a mask to those that you see not wearing one?

Old 07-21-2020, 12:21 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
We`ve become the Covid 19 sanctuary country. How embarrassing is that?
i dont know. The US is just unique, when you consider its huge economy, the number of people, and its geographic breadth.

You can have rampant covid in a few states and that will equate a thousands of people, but its still not a majority of the country.

i wouldnt say its embarrassing - i just think the media, as it has for 30+ years, paints the US as backwards, classless, and clueless. there are millions of people here doing the proper thing - the idiots you see in viral videos raising hell at a store are a handful out of hundreds of millions.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Once again, “proposed” doesn’t mean actual.

Do you say anything or offer a mask to those that you see not wearing one?
I've asked people to wear masks in the past in public, but a lot of the people deliberately not doing it are looking for a fight and I'd rather not get shot by someone with a chip on his shoulder. So I practice avoidance.

A lot of the businesses I've been frequenting have boxes of disposable masks at the doors or the counter, which is a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i dont know. The US is just unique, when you consider its huge economy, the number of people, and its geographic breadth.

You can have rampant covid in a few states and that will equate a thousands of people, but its still not a majority of the country.

i wouldnt say its embarrassing - i just think the media, as it has for 30+ years, paints the US as backwards, classless, and clueless. there are millions of people here doing the proper thing - the idiots you see in viral videos raising hell at a store are a handful out of hundreds of millions.
I don't disagree with this, approval of mask use in the US is around 70% but the media gives lopsided coverage to the screaming people who think wearing them is an affront to their liberty.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:41 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
I've asked people to wear masks in the past in public, but a lot of the people deliberately not doing it are looking for a fight and I'd rather not get shot by someone with a chip on his shoulder. So I practice avoidance.

A lot of the businesses I've been frequenting have boxes of disposable masks at the doors or the counter, which is a good start.

I don't disagree with this, approval of mask use in the US is around 70% but the media gives lopsided coverage to the screaming people who think wearing them is an affront to their liberty.
Being scared to try to educate people isn’t going to help your cause. Do you think posting about it here rather than to those you see not wearing one is going to get people to change?

Old 07-21-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Being scared to try to educate people isn’t going to help your cause. Do you think preaching about it here is going to get people to change?
It's the opposite of being scared, it's making an informed decision.

A 99% survivable pandemic doesn't mean everyone should stop caring about disease control measures, because a 99% survival rate still means millions of dead people and millions more with other forms of long term or permanent damage to their health that we can't even predict yet.

We've already seen significant coagulopathy, and neurological and nephrotic side effects from this virus. We will almost certainly find more issues.

Masks are a simple, cheap, effective measure to prevent millions of deaths and permanent injuries.

Reframing educated decisions aimed at reducing death and injury rates down to "being scared" is bonkers stuff.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:43 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Quote:

i wont argue with this. but thats not about masks per se - its what ive said for years: people just want to be angry about SOMETHING, to demean others, to blame others, to pretend they're being pushed around (never mind that they are creating a firestorm from their own behaviour).

its a power game. if its not masks, its something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh