Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 07:37 AM

14,357 posts, read 17,138,715 times

Advertisements

After a long period of nearly no major development news, a new apartment building has been proposed in Oakland.

The new Hudson Companies building - called "The Parker" would be located directly next to their building "The Julian" currently under construction. The new building would have a slightly higher unit count (166, versus 148) but be otherwise nearly identical from the street level.

It will be interesting to see if this building can get past the ZBA on June 20th. The Julian met major opposition from local NIMBYs, particularly those worried about traffic congestion on Gold Way, and this project will essentially double the potential alley traffic. That said, the first building also provided clear precedent for a building of this height and massing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2024, 06:52 AM

32,632 posts, read 77,866,496 times
I'm so sick of NIMBY's impeding this city's realization of its fullest redevelopment and density restoration potential. If East Enders are so up in arms all the time about new developments because of "traffic" or "parking" or "views" or "density" or "too many apartments" then I wish developers would come to Marshall-Shadeland or Perry South where we aren't getting ANY development.

Old 05-21-2024, 07:25 AM

3,112 posts, read 2,934,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm so sick of NIMBY's impeding this city's realization of its fullest redevelopment and density restoration potential. If East Enders are so up in arms all the time about new developments because of "traffic" or "parking" or "views" or "density" or "too many apartments" then I wish developers would come to Marshall-Shadeland or Perry South where we aren't getting ANY development.
Right? They could build that big ole apt building along any of our oversized Northside roads without a hint of adding to congestion. Perhaps replace the massive parking lots for the Sherwin Williams on Western or perhaps the USPS vehicle maintenance shop right next door. Development seems hesitant to jump over the highways that divide the Northside though.

Old 05-23-2024, 10:56 AM

32,632 posts, read 77,866,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Right? They could build that big ole apt building along any of our oversized Northside roads without a hint of adding to congestion. Perhaps replace the massive parking lots for the Sherwin Williams on Western or perhaps the USPS vehicle maintenance shop right next door. Development seems hesitant to jump over the highways that divide the Northside though.
Yes indeed. At least you are getting that new GetGo in Manchester!

I'm just worried about the old PPS Horace Mann School by me. It's a beautiful old brick building from the 1880's or 1890's, and the current developer has just been sitting on it for years letting it rot. There are large holes in the roof. My fear is that this developer will soon try to say "too far gone to save" and then tear it down and put up something underwhelming to replace it, as we just saw with the Troiani family parcels at 1st & Market being torn down for bocce courts. If you want to talk NIMBYism I will be railing against any proposal to replace the old PPS Horace Mann School that isn't a net positive for the neighborhood over the repurposement/refurbishment of the existing edifice into a mixed-use/mixed-income project.

Old 05-24-2024, 06:28 AM

14,357 posts, read 17,138,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I always felt like the area around the intersection of Allegheny Ave and Ridge Ave would be a great location for an apartment building, by virtue of the 5-10 minute walk to Allegheny Station. Plenty of underutilized blocks in that zone as well.

Old 05-24-2024, 11:34 AM

3,112 posts, read 2,934,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I always felt like the area around the intersection of Allegheny Ave and Ridge Ave would be a great location for an apartment building, by virtue of the 5-10 minute walk to Allegheny Station. Plenty of underutilized blocks in that zone as well.
It def is, as well as the lots with all of the fast food joints. To me it is an ideal location....you are far enough away from the stadiums to avoid the hassle of living on the North Shore, but great public transportation connections, the Western Avenue business district, access to the river trail system, close to Allegheny Commons and still easy to get to the North Shore attractions...

Old Today, 07:43 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,991,647 times
The Northshore apartments turned out slightly better than expected. The building definitely fills a void and add to the newly formed street wall along North Shore Drive. A few more apartment blocks will solidify the neighborhood. Hopefully the lot north of PNC Park will house an apartment complete. That location will have a tremendous impact on the entire North Shore neighborhood.

North Shore by William Pipkins, on Flickr[/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh