Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2023, 03:27 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,054,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I usually try to avoid eating at gas stations. But I was in Altoona, so I thought I'd eat the local specialty.
Isn't that the weird pizza with yellow cheese slices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 03:30 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,605,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Isn't that the weird pizza with yellow cheese slices?

I would not eat that. I tried a breakfast sandwich.

Old 02-01-2023, 04:53 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
it went downhill IMO about 10 years ago. I find Getgo to have much better quality as far as gas station food goes.
I agree regarding the food quality. I do eat the Get Go build your own salads.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:49 PM

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...watch-in-2023/

All of the projects are well underway. Most of the major projects flow from greater downtown to Point Breeze. It’s exciting to watch.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:39 PM

70 posts, read 27,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...watch-in-2023/

All of the projects are well underway. Most of the major projects flow from greater downtown to Point Breeze. It’s exciting to watch.
You find the destruction of established neighborhoods that displace hundreds of people from their homes and neighborhoods exciting to watch?

Old 02-02-2023, 07:24 AM

1,170 posts, read 537,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 412Burgh View Post
You find the destruction of established neighborhoods that displace hundreds of people from their homes and neighborhoods exciting to watch?
what?

Old 02-02-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
it went downhill IMO about 10 years ago. I find Getgo to have much better quality as far as gas station food goes.
Quote:
Name one established neighborhood destroyed by construction. Hundreds of people where? Or do you hate Wholefoods? I think you’re trying to paint an inaccurate picture.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:55 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times
Quote:
Huh? Did you even read this article? Only a few people along Halket Street in Oakland will be displaced for all of these projects. All of these projects combined will have MANY more new affordable housing units than the total number of units being lost in Oakland.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:37 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Huh? Did you even read this article? Only a few people along Halket Street in Oakland will be displaced for all of these projects. All of these projects combined will have MANY more new affordable housing units than the total number of units being lost in Oakland.
Walnut Capital has apparently put the Halket project on hold due to financing issues. We will see what happens.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:54 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Walnut Capital has apparently put the Halket project on hold due to financing issues. We will see what happens.
Thanks.

I'm a very "Yes In My BackYard" (YIMBY) person in general because I feel like the best way to increase affordability in a city with a stagnant population is to greatly increase the supply of available housing.

There is currently a new market-rate townhouse development being proposed on Termon Avenue between Millerton & Wealth in Brighton Heights. There are a lot of NIMBY's opposed to this project because they don't want the increased density of a few dozen new townhomes. This will be on the site of the former Three Rivers Youth Home. I'm supportive of this project.

There were plans to redevelop the former PPS Horace Mann School in Marshall-Shadeland into apartments and then build townhomes behind it on Horace Mann Field, but I have no idea what the status is of that project. I know the developer has been cited for the deterioration of the building's roof and has a court appearance in March over it. I am hopeful this might be the year the developer gets its act together and makes that project happen and brings more housing units to our neighborhood, too. If that building has to be razed and is replaced by new construction I am going to be SUPER NIMBY about it unless it is something super dense like the Parklane in Highland Park that would justify the demolition of that beautiful old brick 1800's school building.

Overall I am unimpressed by the amount of NIMBY's in this city. Even in Shadyside I just read a recent "NEXTPIttsburgh" article in which a resident of Shadyside was opposed to the redevelopment of the Shady Hill Shopping Center at Penn & Shady because it would "affect views". She just moved to Shadyside from Zelienople a few years ago. Additionally there is a woman named Virginia Flaherty who lives in Shadyside and who owns rental properties in Shadyside who organizes staunch opposition to ANY new development in Shadyside because the neighborhood "doesn't need more apartments" (i.e. "if they build more new units I'll have to spend money to upgrade my own units to remain competitive"). If Shadyside didn't need more apartments then why are apartments so expensive there? That sort of implies a shortage of supply, correct? If not, then that implies landlords are just greedy, correct?

I am unimpressed that Mayor Gainey hasn't taken a harder stance against NIMBYism. He was very receptive in getting Walnut Capital to scale BACK their project in Oakland (the state's third-largest CBD) due to it being "too dense", and he stayed silent while Virginia Flaherty's NIMBY mob scuttled Mozart's plans for its new mid-rise on South Aiken Avenue. To be fair, though, Peduto BUNGLED the Penn Plaza project. Instead of encouraging the developer to build even DENSER to house MORE affordably-priced rentals that could, in turn, eventually rehouse those displaced on the site he listened to the stupid NIMBY's. Now those NIMBY's are why gentrification is going to be even worse in the East End as workers at the new TECH OFFICE on the Penn Plaza site (no apartments) will also want to LIVE nearby, exacerbating the rental shortage there and pricing out MORE people in surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh