Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2021, 06:02 AM

748 posts, read 339,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
That is pretty light on details. It looks like it’s run by part time paid folks an volunteers wearing more than one hat. One day they are a treasurer the next they are the fire chief. That’s podunk government. Just a bedroom community. I’m not impressed. When cranberry gets a real mayor we can talk.

Townships are pretty limited. Just a few local gov't services and then it falls under the county typically. Townships are basic suburbs where the population commutes to the city for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 08:25 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
Townships are pretty limited. Just a few local gov't services and then it falls under the county typically. Townships are basic suburbs where the population commutes to the city for work.
I know. That poster airs endless grievance. Cranberry is a place to rest your head at night. Bare bones basic services volunteer and part paid government officials. The fire chief wears the same hat as the township planner. It’s not relevant or important enough to have a full time government.

Regardless I am happy Gainey won instead of Peduto. My biggest issues cross political lines and don’t fit in one box. I don’t care who is in charge. Promote respect, leadership and integrity. Work towards making the city work for everybody. Not just the woke crowd and the limousine liberals while everybody else pays the price for pandering to those two groups.

The police training needs reformed. It should get back to public service roots. Give preference to military candidates get a military police force. It’s set up to attract a certain personality type for the position. Public service job not military. We have court systems to be the judge, jury and executioner. Of all public positions it should be scrutinized the most for ensuring proper mental fitness and unbiased judgement for the job. There needs to be a better balance. It’s become to military. Needs to get back in the middle.

And lethal force by police is justified in some instances, but it shouldn’t be a breeding ground for those that hold biases and hate agains certain people. It’s become too extreme wing nut

Old 05-23-2021, 09:43 AM

1,411 posts, read 566,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
Ignorant, ill-informed comment; are you a resident of the People's Republic of Pittsburgh? The one that can't fix potholes or remove snow from the streets, or, with a few exceptions, has a lousy school district?
And yes, I am more than aware of Pittsburgh's many positives and cultural treasures, colleges, etc. I worked downtown for over 25 years, during it's heyday; sad to see it's current iteration.
I won't defend Cranberry, since I know little about it's government, but I will speak to that of my home, Upper St,Clair, a township.
Yes, we have a volunteer fire department, but a very good one, and a first rate full time police force, very capable and responsive governmental departments, such as public works, and a first class recreation center.
As most know, we have a very highly rated school system.
Our taxes are indeed high, but not as high as the city's, with much more to show for it.
I dare say our neighbors to the south Peters Twp., has most of the same attributes as USC, with lower taxes, although that gap is shrinking, with the cost of the new high school.
City dwellers who deign to look down their noses at we rubes in the suburbs make me laugh.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:59 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
^^^^
Bingo

It’s hilarious how some think their way or the way their area operates is the only way. Many places like Cranberry, USC, etc..., don’t need to operate like others to make them great and desirable places to live....and less operating costs = less taxes.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
Ignorant, ill-informed comment; are you a resident of the People's Republic of Pittsburgh? The one that can't fix potholes or remove snow from the streets, or, with a few exceptions, has a lousy school district?
And yes, I am more than aware of Pittsburgh's many positives and cultural treasures, colleges, etc. I worked downtown for over 25 years, during it's heyday; sad to see it's current iteration.
I won't defend Cranberry, since I know little about it's government, but I will speak to that of my home, Upper St,Clair, a township.
Yes, we have a volunteer fire department, but a very good one, and a first rate full time police force, very capable and responsive governmental departments, such as public works, and a first class recreation center.
As most know, we have a very highly rated school system.
Our taxes are indeed high, but not as high as the city's, with much more to show for it.
I dare say our neighbors to the south Peters Twp., has most of the same attributes as USC, with lower taxes, although that gap is shrinking, with the cost of the new high school.
City dwellers who deign to look down their noses at we rubes in the suburbs make me laugh.
Huh...? I responded to the difference of municipalities. I wasn't denigrating townships or making any judgements about types of communities.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:40 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Townships have superintendents.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:45 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Bingo

Old 05-23-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
More or less - typically a small group of commissioners and it may vary by township size.

Old 05-23-2021, 03:39 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post

The police training needs reformed. It should get back to public service roots. Give preference to military candidates get a military police force. It’s set up to attract a certain personality type for the position. Public service job not military. We have court systems to be the judge, jury and executioner. Of all public positions it should be scrutinized the most for ensuring proper mental fitness and unbiased judgement for the job. There needs to be a better balance. It’s become to military. Needs to get back in the middle.

And lethal force by police is justified in some instances, but it shouldn’t be a breeding ground for those that hold biases and hate agains certain people. It’s become too extreme wing nut
Where does this military wing of the Pittsburgh Police hang out, exactly? I've lived, worked, and gone to school in many different areas of Pittsburgh over a few decades, and I've never seen the military on the city streets. How have I missed them?

Old 05-23-2021, 03:43 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
What?
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh