Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 11:52 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Sounds like folks are going to have to use less A/C to make room for electric vehicles we’re all told to buy.
I mean I want an electric vehicle myself, but I am not going to even try to buy one until the supply chain issues regarding production/sales of them are hammered out and until our nation's infrastructure responds with more charging stations being operational. Like it or not Teslas are the new status symbol vehicle---I see them all over the place where you live in the North Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 11:56 AM

468 posts, read 124,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I mean I want an electric vehicle myself, but I am not going to even try to buy one until the supply chain issues regarding production/sales of them are hammered out and until our nation's infrastructure responds with more charging stations being operational. Like it or not Teslas are the new status symbol vehicle---I see them all over the place where you live in the North Hills.
SCR -- that goofball is just repeating Republican party talking points -- he's basically trying to regurgitate points that the Republicans were making during a recent hearing with Secretary Buttigieg -- this was, unfortunately, the hearing where the only salient point that emerged was that Pres. Biden sometimes stutters and/or flubs up his statements. But, in the relevant portion of the hearing, Secretary Pete clearly stated that any goals of switching to more electric vehicles by 2030 need to paired with updating the electric grid.

Last edited by Burghophilia; 07-25-2022 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: correcting pared and paired, duh!

Old 07-25-2022, 12:06 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
SCR -- that goofball is just repeating Republican party talking points -- he's basically trying to regurgitate points that the Republicans were making during a recent hearing with Secretary Buttigieg -- this was, unfortunately, the hearing where the only salient point that emerged was that Pres. Biden sometimes stutters and/or flubs up his statements. But, in the relevant portion of the hearing, Secretary Pete clearly stated that any goals of switching to more electric vehicles by 2030 need to pared with updating the electric grid.
It would be cool if residents could pay to install EV charging stations in front of their homes and then reserve that on-street space for EV's only. Then again anyone with an EV could just park there, hypothetically, and charge up at the cost of the unfortunate homeowner who paid to install that EV charger. I am grateful because despite our home and property being very tiny we DO have a dedicated parking space via our rear alley, so if we do buy an EV we can install our own charging station.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:31 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
It would be cool if residents could pay to install EV charging stations in front of their homes and then reserve that on-street space for EV's only. Then again anyone with an EV could just park there, hypothetically, and charge up at the cost of the unfortunate homeowner who paid to install that EV charger. I am grateful because despite our home and property being very tiny we DO have a dedicated parking space via our rear alley, so if we do buy an EV we can install our own charging station.
While reserved parking in front of folks homes , much less EV reserved parking in front of folks homes on city streets isn’t reality, the confrontation it was cause between folks would make for great tv, especially amongst the parking chair folks.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:02 PM

10,872 posts, read 4,546,402 times
AC demand has peaked every year I have been alive mid july....july 15 to 2nd week of august when 'summer breaks' on the back of a game changing storm has been around as long as I have.

And with the incredible EERs home systems are now pulling...but this is the first time lifetime the POCO warned they might not be able to handle it and lo and behold...could not.

whom do I thank?

Old 07-25-2022, 01:06 PM

10,872 posts, read 4,546,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
But, in the relevant portion of the hearing, Secretary Pete clearly stated that any goals of switching to more electric vehicles by 2030 need to paired with updating the electric grid.

so mayor pete is now parroting long standing GOP talking points?

But that updating is gonna be hard to do when you close plants with no replacement.

since we are ostensibly all from WPa, HOW many plants did we close in the last year HERE?? to those that got bit last night....how fun was it?

PS: I am still an electrician and can chalk talk you thru your whole house genset install.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:39 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
AC demand has peaked every year I have been alive mid july....july 15 to 2nd week of august when 'summer breaks' on the back of a game changing storm has been around as long as I have.

And with the incredible EERs home systems are now pulling...but this is the first time lifetime the POCO warned they might not be able to handle it and lo and behold...could not.

whom do I thank?
Quote:
so mayor pete is now parroting long standing GOP talking points?

But that updating is gonna be hard to do when you close plants with no replacement.

since we are ostensibly all from WPa, HOW many plants did we close in the last year HERE?? to those that got bit last night....how fun was it?

PS: I am still an electrician and can chalk talk you thru your whole house genset install.
Bingo…You can thank the folks that are extremely naive to the situation and have declared war on fossil fuels. Some folks always have to learn the hard way.

“Just buy an electric vehicle”

Old 07-25-2022, 01:41 PM

468 posts, read 124,139 times
Quote:

whom do I thank?
Power outage in Pittsburgh in July 1993 -- not clear this was due to demand exceeding capacity, or whether infrastructure simply cannot handle the amount of demand:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en

Old 07-25-2022, 10:45 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Just do away with all vehicles and use horses and bicycles. Can easily make lots of lanes for them.
But horses fart, which is bad for the environment.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:14 AM

987 posts, read 280,466 times
Quote:

I mean, the only reason that we have the Interstate system which everyone takes for granted is because of a government funded program. Real infrastructure of any kind takes that kind of effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh