Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2022, 01:21 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I'm against it. They aren't NATO, and we have all these problems at home. Selling weapons to them is fine by me tho.
Bingo

Old 11-07-2022, 01:36 PM

135 posts, read 35,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I'm against it. They aren't NATO, and we have all these problems at home. Selling weapons to them is fine by me tho.
Bummer. You folks know I can't get paid unless I convince at least one person per day to support Ukraine aid (oops, did I type that aloud)?

Were you against the aid that we provided during the Trump administration? I assume you are a responsible, pragmatic fellow -- are you somewhat proactive in your everyday life? I assume so. Why then would it not behoove a nation to be "proactive" in terms of its national security? Do you support staying in NATO? If we stay in NATO, do you see a concern with allowing a newly-aggressive and determined Russia to be parked right up against (via a newly vassalized Ukraine) an actual NATO ally, Poland?

What about sunk costs, and the value of a US commitment to support a partner? We supported Ukraine with humanitarian aid during Obama admin; Trump provided weapons, we have had bipartisan support (although weakening) to provide weapons thus far in the Biden admin. Not sure what Ukrainian endgame can be, when Russia seems that it will not backdown nor refrain from civilian and infrastructure attacks. However, now that we are involved, an involvement that was supported on a bipartisan basis, doesn't it lower our standing in the world, and make us less safe, if we seem to back down our level of support -- particularly in a manner that appears to be driven by political partisans?

Another point is this -- even if you don't want to continue to provide aid -- do you agree that, given past US support and given the proximity to NATO ally, it is in the clear US national interest for Ukraine to achieve as favorable an end to the war as possible. In this regard, even if you wanted to lessen or end aid, why allow political hacks, like Empty G, to make threats about cutting off aid, which only strengthens Russia's hand in any possible negotiations to end the war?

Last edited by burghophilia-03; 11-07-2022 at 01:54 PM..

Old 11-07-2022, 01:51 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burghophilia-03 View Post
Bummer. You folks know I can't get paid unless I convince at least one person per day to support Ukraine aid (oops, did I type that aloud)?

Were you against the aid that we provided during the Trump administration? I assume you are a responsible, pragmatic fellow -- are you somewhat proactive in your everyday life? I assume so. Why then would it not behoove a nation to be "proactive" in terms of its national security? Do you support staying in NATO? If we stay in NATO, do you see a concern with allowing a newly-aggressive and determined Russia to be parked right up against (via a newly vassalized Ukraine) an actual NATO ally, Poland?

What about sunk costs, and the value of a US commitment to support a partner? We supported Ukraine with humanitarian aid during Obama admin; Trump provided weapons, we have had bipartisan support (although weakening) to provide weapons thus far in the Biden admin. Not sure what Ukrainian endgame can be, when Russia seems that it will not backdown nor refrain from civilian and infrastructure attacks. However, now that we are involved, an involvement that was supported on a bipartisan basis, doesn't it lower our standing in the world, and make us less safe, if we seem to back down our level of support -- particularly in a manner that appears to be driven by political partisans?

Yawn

There is a difference between providing aid and paying for a war with russia. Who cares if russia is against a nato partner. If you look at a map we are next to russia. It is time our warmonger president turns on his biden charm he is know for and stops the war that should never have happened.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:54 PM

987 posts, read 279,352 times
REMEMBER: Vote counting will take longer in states like PA and WI because their Republican-led legislatures want (R heavy) Election Day votes counted first to give the optics of an R victory that's being "sToLeN" once (D heavy) mail ballots are tabulated & wipe away the GOP lead.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Yawn

There is a difference between providing aid and paying for a war with russia. Who cares if russia is against a nato partner. If you look at a map we are next to russia. It is time our warmonger president turns on his biden charm he is know for and stops the war that should never have happened.
Bingo…the warmongering is as hilarious as it is ridiculous. Want funding provided to the Ukraine open up the purse strings and donate. Want help physically fighting Russia, get on a plane and go fight for the Ukraine.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:10 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo…the warmongering is as hilarious as it is ridiculous. Want funding provided to the Ukraine open up the purse strings and donate. Want help physically fighting Russia, get on a plane and go fight for the Ukraine.
I am guessing he is doing all he could, probably has a small Ukrainian flag on his suv.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I am guessing he is doing all he could, probably has a small Ukrainian flag on his suv.
No flags for me, although did see quite a few Ukrainian flags over at the Slovak festival in Oakland yesterday.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Perhaps a screensaver, also. Expects others to make a difference versus actually doing something themselves.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
How do you respond to someone like Erie, who used to support aid, but now says he doesn't. And how do you cut off aid -- just cold turkey by making nutty connections between two disparate issues, like Empty G, i.e., the border with Mexico and Ukraine -- or do you do so strategically?

Old 11-07-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Perhaps a screensaver, also. Expects others to make a difference versus actually doing something themselves.
So stupid in the context of foreign aid, I mean, really, come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh