Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 09:14 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,717,788 times

Advertisements

There aren't a lot of Eastern Europeans in Seattle. I immediately smelled racism and got the HELL out of there ASAP.

Forced multiculturalism is silly. Things happen naturally, all over the world. Paris is a VERY ethnically diverse city. Other cities in France aren't. Does that mean there's something wrong with them? For some strange reason, people of "Latino" descent seem to migrate up the coasts (contrary to popular belief, Pittsburgh is not an East Coast city) and across the southern part of the U.S. and also to the mega-cities like Chicago. Of course there are exceptions, but just because any given city doesn't have a certain quota of x ethnic group means absolutely nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 PM

29 posts, read 119,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
There aren't a lot of Eastern Europeans in Seattle. I immediately smelled racism and got the HELL out of there ASAP.

Forced multiculturalism is silly. Things happen naturally, all over the world. Paris is a VERY ethnically diverse city. Other cities in France aren't. Does that mean there's something wrong with them? For some strange reason, people of "Latino" descent seem to migrate up the coasts (contrary to popular belief, Pittsburgh is not an East Coast city) and across the southern part of the U.S. and also to the mega-cities like Chicago. Of course there are exceptions, but just because any given city doesn't have a certain quota of x ethnic group means absolutely nothing.
I couldn't agree more. There are geographical factors involved and a city with fewer people of X race has NOTHING to do with racism in 99.9% of cases. Why are there so many cubans in Miami? is it because Miami is a wonderfully open-minded beacon of progressivism? absolutely not! it's because it's right next to Cuba! duh.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,162,451 times
Quote:
Fortune cookies and burritos.
Except burritos were in fact created in Mexico. Oh...and except Fortune cookies come from Japan.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Except burritos were in fact created in Mexico. Oh...and except Fortune cookies come from Japan.
I'm incredibly bored with you, so I went no farther than wikipedia:

"Fortune cookies in their current form were first served in California by immigrants who based the cookie on a traditional Japanese cracker. The cookies are little-known in mainland China or Taiwan."

"Northern Mexican border towns like Villa Ahumada have an established reputation for serving burritos, but they are quite different from the American variety. Authentic Mexican burritos are usually small and thin"

I suppose I was referring to the American or S.F.-style burrito, which is what you get in this country.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,162,451 times
Quote:
so I went no farther than wikipedia:
I guess you didn't read it:

"Most of the people who claim to have introduced the cookie to the United States are Japanese, so the theory is that these bakers were modifying a cookie design which they were aware of from their days in Japan."

In other words it originated outside of the US and not created by "Americans".

Quote:
I suppose I was referring to the American or S.F.-style burrito, which is what you get in this country.
I suppose you were? But the burrito comes from Mexico.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,699,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
It the same as the category european or asian.
I wouldn't say that; comparing "Hispanic" or "Latino" to European and Asian is not just like comparing apples to oranges; it is like comparing apples to tomatoes. Hispanic is a category that encompasses national origins and ties them to culture and language; people in the "Hispanic" countries of Latin America can be white, black, Native, Chinese, Japanese, Arab or any combination of the above. Europeans, at least those not born of recent immigrants, are white people. Asians are people who come from East, Southeast or South Asia, and their appearance and culture are reflective of that. Latinos (the term I prefer) can be from anywhere in terms of racial or ethnic origin; what unites is (somewhat tenuously at times) is language and culture and a shared sense of geographic origin.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I guess you didn't read it:

"Most of the people who claim to have introduced the cookie to the United States are Japanese, so the theory is that these bakers were modifying a cookie design which they were aware of from their days in Japan."

In other words it originated outside of the US and not created by "Americans".

I suppose you were? But the burrito comes from Mexico.
According to Jennifer 8. Lee, who wrote a book about this very subject, Japanese immigrants in California first baked the cookies, which were then adapted by Chinese immigrants and their American children into what we know today as fortune cookies. In my mind, they are American snacks created by Japanese and Chinese immigrants.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,848,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildi200 View Post
Ok ok... so I am a Mexican (born and raised in Mexico City) Moved to the US when I was 20... lived in upstate NY for 8 years... the bay area for 5 and now in Pittsburgh (for 2 months..)... I have not tried any Mexican food here in Pittsburgh...
just my two cents...
are you white? have have people treated you in Pitt vs other places?

Old 07-09-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
According to Jennifer 8. Lee, who wrote a book about this very subject, Japanese immigrants in California first baked the cookies, which were then adapted by Chinese immigrants and their American children into what we know today as fortune cookies. In my mind, they are American snacks created by Japanese and Chinese immigrants.
And to me, Japanese and Chinese immigrants become Americans the day they move here permanently. I don't really care about the paperwork and I don't believe in hyphens.

I stand by my statement that fortune cookies (and the conventional burrito consumed by the millions in this country) were invented by Americans for Americans.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
And to me, Japanese and Chinese immigrants become Americans the day they move here permanently. I don't really care about the paperwork and I don't believe in hyphens.

I stand by my statement that fortune cookies (and the conventional burrito consumed by the millions in this country) were invented by Americans for Americans.
I'm not disagreeing with you one bit. The only reason I mentioned the Japanese immigrants especially, is to signify that the cookies were of Japanese origin even though it was Americans in America who created them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh