Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 AM

227 posts, read 590,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pretty much everything people have said so far makes perfect sense and should be done (livelier downtown, better mass transit especially to the airport and the east end, new industry, better use of its natural advantages on the waterfront and in the hillsides, greater political diversity).

However, I'm less in favor of bringing larger chains as much as I am in favor of incubating locally-grown and owned shops if possible. As far as what industry I would like to see be brought to Pittsburgh, I think media production would be great. Those old factory buildings can be converted into nice, little soundstages. The city has a wide array of locales that can be used. CMU can play a huge part in this what with its multimedia programs and drama department. The Keystone Corridor high-speed rail line actually being built would be great (and even better if it was extended and became the major rail link between the East Coast and the Midwest). Strong showings on the part of smaller political parties would also be great.

Some closing of a bridge here and there every once in a while for a party/gala would be fun, too.
All of these are great ideas. They really play to Pittsburgh's strenghts and would keep the city distinctive. I also think a Smithsonian-affiliated "National Museum of Industry and Technology" sited in some abandoned/refurbished mill would fit in with this overall goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 AM

418 posts, read 1,093,165 times
Me

Old 01-01-2010, 11:41 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,599,369 times
Open an observation deck in the US Steel/UPMC whatever tower.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:54 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,108,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
I also think a Smithsonian-affiliated "National Museum of Industry and Technology" sited in some abandoned/refurbished mill would fit in with this overall goal.
They are thinking of doing some sort of steel museum with the Carrie Furnace site. An association with the Smithsonian would be a great idea.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,142,584 times
How about an NBA team?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:13 PM

12,528 posts, read 17,615,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How about an NBA team?

Never happen, and this from a pro b-ball fan.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
They are thinking of doing some sort of steel museum with the Carrie Furnace site. An association with the Smithsonian would be a great idea.
A steel museum seems to be a bit narrow in scope. I can't imagine too many people wanting to go to something so focused; it could be a great exhibit in the Heinz History Center, though.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:00 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,108,082 times
They can't really move Carrie Furnaces 6 and 7 to Heinz, but I agree that what they have planned seems to be more in the spirit of a (really cool) exhibit than a full-blown museum. But I don't necessarily have a problem with that: some of my favorite visits have been to really focused sites.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:33 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,070,392 times
I would like to see Pittsburgh stop tearing down historic buildings.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
They can't really move Carrie Furnaces 6 and 7 to Heinz, but I agree that what they have planned seems to be more in the spirit of a (really cool) exhibit than a full-blown museum. But I don't necessarily have a problem with that: some of my favorite visits have been to really focused sites.
I think it could be an interesting site-based exhibit that people might like to see once, but it's a shame not to attempt something a little more ambitious given the larger industrial history of the region. Museums tend to draw visitors over and over again. I certainly wasn't thinking they would move a furnace to the Heinz Center; my ideal situation would be keep the furnaces as a centerpiece of a thematically larger museum on Industry and Technology and create a kick-ass exhibit on steel at the Heinz (which, frankly, is lacking anything really great).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh