Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:40 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times

Advertisements

The areas you are talking about aren't particularly nice to bike in, there simply isn't enough room on the streets for cars and the bikes. I did bike all the time in the city, but I would use a combo of sidewalks and side streets.

Also, don't be surprised when folks in cars yield at you for being "in the way".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,668 times
I also live in Greenfield and commute to work as well as ride for fun. I concur with Awsomo 2000's suggested route unless you live at the very bottom of Greenfield Ave close to 2nd Avenue; there's a route that would eliminate the brutal climb up Greenfield. Greenfield residents are very close to the parks and to the Eliza Furnace Trail. While Pgh is an old city with narrow streets, we have many, many cyclists, great hills, and a cycling organization called Bike Pgh. REI is about 1.5 miles from Greenfield on the southside of the burgh and is accessible by bike from the Eliza Furnace Trail. My husband and I ride our bikes through Squirrel Hill to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, which are in Shadyside, and love it. If you have any questions at all about riding in Pgh, don't hesitate to post; you'll find Pgh riders are supportive and friendly.

PS. Please ride on roads - in PA you could get a citation for riding on sidewalks.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i would love to bike pittsburg. i love to bike commute but a space cadet almost nailed me 3 weeks ago, foot to the floorboard and cell phone in the ear at an intersection. made the mistake of trying to ride it across instead of walkin it never again.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
PS. Please ride on roads - in PA you could get a citation for riding on sidewalks.
The cops have better things to do, when they make bike lanes then bikers will stay off the sidewalks.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:53 PM

158 posts, read 527,184 times
Great mountain bike single track trails at Frick Park. ...unless you are truly exceptionally good and into harrowing, crazy trails, you'll have fun there. Also some easier trails there, too.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I happen to know that if the local police in Regent Square (who could be from one of several different municipalities) see an adult riding a bike on the sidewalks, they will give that person a citation. We have too many people (including the elderly and babies in strollers) on our sidewalks to tolerate bikes--and, for that matter, the local cops really don't have all that much else to do most days.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:57 PM

I other words you either risk getting hit by cars due to the lack of bike lanes or you risk getting citations for using the sidewalks? Yes....great place to ride a bike.

Anyhow, I biked all the time (on the sidewalks) and I never got a citation. Some people get a little annoyed if you ride on the sidewalks, but some drivers also get annoyed when you are on the streets. Its a no win situation. In residential areas with low traffic there is no need to use sidewalks (If they exist in the first place)

Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I other words you either risk getting hit by cars due to the lack of bike lanes or you risk getting citations for using the sidewalks? Yes....great place to ride a bike.

Anyhow, I biked all the time (on the sidewalks) and I never got a citation. Some people get a little annoyed if you ride on the sidewalks, but some drivers also get annoyed when you are on the streets. Its a no win situation. In residential areas with low traffic there is no need to use sidewalks (If they exist in the first place)
Well, the side streets in Regent Square are in fact residential with relatively low traffic. And as I noted above, that is what the Pittsburgh Bike Map does--it routes people onto East End Avenue, a side street, as opposed to Braddock.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Biking in Pittsburgh is great fun, and getting better constantly. There are some great bike trails for commuting, as well as some bike lanes on major roads through the city. Use the Pittsburgh Bike Map to find the safest streets in the city. In addition, you can use Bikely to find bike routes posted by Pittsburghers.

Bike Pittsburgh is also another great resource to find other local bikers and see whats happening in the Pittsburgh bike community.
You beat me to it. They also give out a paper copy of that map for free in basically any bike shop in the city.

I bike in the city all the time, I ride to work fairly often, (from home in Shadyside to work in Harmar), and I have never fealt like it was too dangerous. Cars are learning that bikes are here to stay (very slowly, but they are learning...)

Just keep your hand on your brake lever all the time...assume you are invisible when you are riding and it will save your life.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:20 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Pittsburgh is many things, but biker-friendly it ain't! I give anyone credit for riding a bike in this town, too many old farts and texting teenagers at the wheel for me. I'll only ride the city during a sponsored bike ride.

If you want to do some good biking, head up to Grove City behind the college. You can bike for miles and miles and never see a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh