Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 06:30 PM

9 posts, read 24,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
Suppose a white guy like me in a decent vehicle, who's not completely familiar with the city, accidentally ends up in the hill district in, say, daylight hours. What happens? Anything?

Well the truth of the matter is that MANY of the people that LIVE in the HIll District drive VERY nice cars- nicer than my 2006 toyota. So I wouldn't worry about sticking out with your car. As far as driving through the Hill District, I am a white female and drive through it (and live in it!) at all times of day and night. Usually, there aren't many people around, aside from school kids walking or waiting for their buses. Not sure how Kirkpatrick @ Centre is at midnight, but I know it was a druggie intersection for a long time. The thing I have notice since moving here is that there are quite a few patrol cars around. Driving down Kirkpatrick, Centre, and Bedford on many occasions I have seen MULTIPLE police cars just patrolling. It is true, the Hill District has had some TOUGH times, but things are getting BETTER- give the Hill a chance to change!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:26 PM

24 posts, read 228,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
Suppose a white guy like me in a decent vehicle, who's not completely familiar with the city, accidentally ends up in the hill district in, say, daylight hours. What happens? Anything?
nothing will happen to you. My friend and I actually have done this in the past . we were in a rush and had no time to drive around. Don't pull you car anywhere and keep driving, try to get to center ave. Most people there are gone during day time.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:44 PM

24 posts, read 228,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsandhair1 View Post
The Hill District is where I grew up at........so to say you don't want to be the only 'white' guy in a 'all black' ghetto is very insulting!

Not only 'white' people are reading this forum.........so we need to be careful with our words!

By the way........Crawford Square is located in the Hill District......middle class 'newer' houses where 'YES' Doctor's, Lawyers, and even Steeler players reside........Crawford Square........again it is in the Hill District across from the the Mellon Arena.........not only GHETTO BLACK FOLK (very insulting)

Mrs. White (but I'm black)
I agree. Crafword square is a nice place if you have extra money to spend. what is the big deal about being "white" in a "ghetto"? I had the job in downtown and the only bus that could take me from my former place to my work was 81B. I never got ANY dirty looks from people on the bus (all black if you will) as I do on campus. In fact in my opinion, peple there were nicer than ones on campus, who supposed to be more "educated" on diversity topic. nothing bad had happen to me when I had to get off earlier in the hill to walk back to campus, since the bus didn't always go there. Keep in mind that I am 5.2'' asian woman. But i didn't try any extreme stuff such as walking at night by myself. I mean it is just a common sence

Old 10-22-2008, 10:03 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,948 times
I've got to agree, I've said this before, the Hill District is no where near as bad as it's reputation. I'm white, I've driven through the neighborhood, I've stopped for food, I've stopped for a drink, etc., and have never ever had a problem in the neighborhood.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 AM

69 posts, read 295,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
I've got to agree, I've said this before, the Hill District is no where near as bad as it's reputation. I'm white, I've driven through the neighborhood, I've stopped for food, I've stopped for a drink, etc., and have never ever had a problem in the neighborhood.
ever walked through bentley drive, or chauncey drive?

Old 10-23-2008, 12:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Driving through a neighborhood, and even stopping for a drink in a neighborhood, is not the same thing as living in a neighborhood and having to deal with its quality-of-life issues day-to-day.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:23 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
South Side is a wonderful area. I lived there for a few years and walked daily into town for work. My journey would pass by the area you speak of. South Side has many interesting places to see great bars and food places.

The North Side can be ok too but there is a larger element of bad folk there too. One has to be careful where they look to live there. I think the South Side may be the better choice espeically if you are looking to be able to walk to the uptown side of the City.

The walk across the 10th street Bridge is not so bad, then you get to go through the Armstrong Tunnels - yes there is a side walk - protected from traffic. The suddenly you are in the down town right by the mellon arena.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:13 PM

9 posts, read 24,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Driving through a neighborhood, and even stopping for a drink in a neighborhood, is not the same thing as living in a neighborhood and having to deal with its quality-of-life issues day-to-day.

I live there, the biggest pain is the lack of a grocery store. The people in the area are generally friendly and I haven't had any issues.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Didn't you just say there were "a couple incidents this summer" ?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:39 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Earlier this year when the murder count for the city was at 43 there had been 4 murders in Middle Hill, 3 in Terrace Village and 2 in Bedford Dwellings. Population of these neighborhoods is around 6,800. This equates to a murder rate of 132 per 100,000. Overall this year the city's murder rate is 18. Obama said you can put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh