Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:38 PM

22,643 posts, read 47,821,176 times

Advertisements

the thing I find most annoying was the snide references to the "War of Northern Aggression" when they find out I am from PA!

C'mon, that is ancient history....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 03:44 PM

267 posts, read 816,094 times
Not one person has said that to me, and I work around the state in lots of little towns with lots of old-time Southern folks. They've all been very polite, and maybe they talk about me being a Yankee behind my back. I don't know, and I really don't care if they do. I think if you're polite and respectful and friendly to people, they return the sentiments, no matter where you are.

Besides, us Yankees have taken over much of the South, so those that hold onto the Northern Aggression thing are having a knee-jerk reaction to something.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:51 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,851,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordzgirl View Post
I have to say that I find Pittsburgh just as racist as the South. Also, what SC cities have is a large black middle class, something sorely lacking in Pittsburgh, at least.
In Charleston?

Quote:
The summers can be hot; the rest of the year, gorgeous. And I'm sure that by referring to the locals as slow really didn't win you any points.
what makes you think I called them slow when I was there? between their fake "southern hospitality" and disparaging comments about yankees (interestingly, in latin countries they are yanquis as well) perhaps I should have. If there was a middle class I didn't see it, let alone a black one.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
In Charleston?

Yes, in Charleston.

what makes you think I called them slow when I was there? between their fake "southern hospitality" and disparaging comments about yankees (interestingly, in latin countries they are yanquis as well) perhaps I should have. If there was a middle class I didn't see it, let alone a black one.
I'm not saying you called them slow, but I'm thinking your attitude probably kind of spoke for itself. Guess you just haven't spent enough time here to notice any kind of middle class, but there is really is one.

BTW, I love Pittsburgh, and I always will, but I'm loving it here in Charleston too.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:38 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,713,185 times
Pitt

Old 11-05-2008, 05:53 PM

22,643 posts, read 47,821,176 times
Quote:
I think if you're polite and respectful and friendly to people, they return the sentiments, no matter where you are.
??

So you think I was rude?

Old 01-11-2009, 03:23 PM

421 posts, read 2,536,296 times
What is this infatuation with moving to the south? I keep seeing people post threads on here stating they can't stand it up here anymore and want to move to the south. I've been down to some southern states and there isn't much there. And to be honest with you, the pay is so much better up here in the northeast than it is down there, and I'm not kidding when I say that either. I know some many people that have made this ridiculous move to the south only to come back within 2 years. I marvel at people that think because the south has better weather that everything will be okay, are you kidding me? Why do you think philly and it's surrounding areas have tons of people living there? It's because that's where all the science and tech companies are at, as well as the drug companies. I mean honestly, think about this, you want to move down south because of the weather?, that's your line of defense? I can see if you had a medical condition that required you to be in warmer weather, maybe the cold winters are aggravating your joints, but to say that you want to move to the south because it's nicer weather isn't a good line of defense.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
What is this infatuation with moving to the south? I keep seeing people post threads on here stating they can't stand it up here anymore and want to move to the south. I've been down to some southern states and there isn't much there. And to be honest with you, the pay is so much better up here in the northeast than it is down there, and I'm not kidding when I say that either. I know some many people that have made this ridiculous move to the south only to come back within 2 years. I marvel at people that think because the south has better weather that everything will be okay, are you kidding me? Why do you think philly and it's surrounding areas have tons of people living there? It's because that's where all the science and tech companies are at, as well as the drug companies. I mean honestly, think about this, you want to move down south because of the weather?, that's your line of defense? I can see if you had a medical condition that required you to be in warmer weather, maybe the cold winters are aggravating your joints, but to say that you want to move to the south because it's nicer weather isn't a good line of defense.
Speaking strictly for myself, my family and I moved South because my husband could not find a full-time teaching job in Pittsburgh. Yes, teachers make more in Pittsburgh, but if he can't find a job there, what difference does it make? There were openings in our respective fields here; we applied for the jobs and were hired. Our standard of living is higher here precisely because both of us have full-time employment. In Pittsburgh, I was the only one working full-time and my husband was a substitute teacher. The weather is just an added bonus. I haven't had to turn my furnace on since Christmas, so my electric/gas bills are much much lower here as well.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,941,757 times
For every article posted on Pittsburgh, I am going to just cut and paste this to every reply. It will pretty much sum up everything always posted on this forum:

I don't believe this article. Pittsburgh is a dying city. It is falling apart, and soon the cockroaches and rats will be the only population. There are no jobs here. I can't get a job. I have a degree in Journalism, and no buddy wants to hire me. I hear down in Charlotte there are Journalism factories that employ millions. I am moving to the Carolinas. They have so much work down there, and it is just perfect there. The streets are paved in gold, and everybody lives in a huge McMansion in a cool subdivision with an acre lot! Not like this dump where the houses are all falling apart, and the roads are horrible. I hate the winters here. They are so grey, depressing, and cold. If you go to other places it is 72 degrees everyday of the year, and never ending sunshine, and no humidity! Well, thats my genius input. Thanks for listening to my informal and intelligent post.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
For every article posted on Pittsburgh, I am going to just cut and paste this to every reply. It will pretty much sum up everything always posted on this forum:

I don't believe this article. Pittsburgh is a dying city. It is falling apart, and soon the cockroaches and rats will be the only population. There are no jobs here. I can't get a job. I have a degree in Journalism, and no buddy wants to hire me. I hear down in Charlotte there are Journalism factories that employ millions. I am moving to the Carolinas. They have so much work down there, and it is just perfect there. The streets are paved in gold, and everybody lives in a huge McMansion in a cool subdivision with an acre lot! Not like this dump where the houses are all falling apart, and the roads are horrible. I hate the winters here. They are so grey, depressing, and cold. If you go to other places it is 72 degrees everyday of the year, and never ending sunshine, and no humidity! Well, thats my genius input. Thanks for listening to my informal and intelligent post.
Maybe if you weren't so sarcastic some buddy would hire you No need to be defensive. I'm not saying life here in the Carolinas is perfect, just that it suits me and my family. That's all. I love Pittsburgh and spent more than half my life there. We just needed to go somewhere else for employment reasons, and if it wasn't SC it would have been another state that was looking for teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: