Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 22,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsie69 View Post
Oh, and after being here for 3 1/2 yrs, the come to dig in my front yard and put a manhole cover in it. No one ever called to talk to us about it and it was not in the original plans we were given. We may take them to court for it.
Um, you do know that it isn't the builder who decides where manholes go... right? Go ahead and try to take them to court but don't be surprised when the judge laughes at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 12:52 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
Oh, and after being here for 3 1/2 yrs, the come to dig in my front yard and put a manhole cover in it. No one ever called to talk to us about it and it was not in the original plans we were given.
I'd love to hear more details of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopers3y View Post
Um, you do know that it isn't the builder who decides where manholes go... right? Go ahead and try to take them to court but don't be surprised when the judge laughes at you.
On the other hand, "manholes" are associated with sewers and storm sewers, and there are other things that a layperson might call "manholes" that are associated with other underground utilities. Any such utilities should either be located on public property, or if on private property, in dedicated easements, which technically means the utility doesn't own the land, but, owns the right to be there.

Any easement should be shown on your deed, and you should be aware that the owner of the easement has the right to enter your property at any time to do work on their utility line. It's also the case, that what you consider "your yard" might extend beyond your property line, and into public property. (For instance, a 25 foot wide paved street might be centered in a 50 foot street "right of way" which is public property. Just because your lawn goes all the way to the curb doesn't mean you own the land.)

If you can demonstrate to the judge that somebody is putting a manhole on your private, unencumbered, property, he might not laugh at you. Obviously, your attorney will know the right questions to ask before he or she lets you look foolish in court.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 14,490 times
tootsie69, sounds like you have had some legitimate problems, but you say their service people are very nice? That must mean that Heartland made efforts to fix your issues?

Paint pealing outside after 4 years is something that you should expect. I lived in my last home for 7 years, and learned that you have to paint around the doors and the porch every 2-3 years. That is not the builders' fault. As for the manhole, that sucks, but I think most townships are responsible for those types of things, the manhole had to have been there when you bought your lot?

Old 05-16-2009, 06:04 PM

209 posts, read 820,532 times
The Pittsburgh real estate market is in denial. They believe they are not affected by the nations troubled economy. Meanwhile homes sit on the market for year(s). Months of inventory on Single Family homes running around 20 months. Conventional wisdom states under 6 months is a sellers market over 6 months of inventory is a buyers market.

Heartland homes have their heads in the sand. and only time will break their pompous attitudes as real estate pricing in this area continues to drop, with no buyers willing to fork out "list price" with so much downside risk.

We are about to enter the second leg down in our economy with the American car manufacturers declaring bancruptcy, shutting down plants, thousands of dealerships, and suppliers to both. The ripple effect is going to desimate the economy, the Stock and Real estate markets.

Good luck to Heartland homes...........

Old 05-16-2009, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 22,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
The Pittsburgh real estate market is in denial. They believe they are not affected by the nations troubled economy.
How can the market be in denial? Why do you suppose that homes in Western PA appreciated by 2% last year when they dropped like a rock in other areas of the country? We also just got rated the safest real estate market in the country. We may still be adjusting from being an old steel town - but we still have a lot going for us. I love it here!

Old 05-16-2009, 06:23 PM

9 posts, read 33,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
The Pittsburgh real estate market is in denial. They believe they are not affected by the nations troubled economy. Meanwhile homes sit on the market for year(s).
I know seven different families who all sold their house in the last year and they all went for asking price or within 95% and sold in less than two weeks. Sounds like you have an ax to grind?

Old 05-16-2009, 06:36 PM

209 posts, read 820,532 times
Welcome to the Real Estate agents who responded within seconds of my post.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:04 PM

9 posts, read 33,978 times
If you actually took the time to look at my profile you'd know I'm a web designer... oh well

Old 08-19-2009, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,249 times
I would not recommend to go with Heartland homes. All they care is to get your money and sell you a house, even the house is not up to your expectation. We definitely had a very unpleasant experience with them. Those people in Heartland homes lied to us again and again, and pushed us around.

I just wish I had listened to other people and build with another builder. Anyway, good luck if you choose them

Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 AM

129 posts, read 408,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista01 View Post
I would not recommend to go with Heartland homes. All they care is to get your money and sell you a house, even the house is not up to your expectation. We definitely had a very unpleasant experience with them. Those people in Heartland homes lied to us again and again, and pushed us around.

I just wish I had listened to other people and build with another builder. Anyway, good luck if you choose them
What neighborhood did you build in? What did they lie to you about? If you're going to make those kinds of claims, shouldn't you offer some support for them?

It's funny, I've heard absolutely terrible things about two other major builders in the area. When we were looking to build, all along we heard good things about Heartland- better quality stuff, overall nicer. We just got done building ours and moved in a few weeks ago. Sure, there were a few minor blips along the way- but that happens with anything! With building a house, there are so many components and factors. It is pretty much impossible for everything to go 1000% correct. My neighbors have been overall very pleased, as are we so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: