Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:07 PM

8 posts, read 45,427 times

Advertisements

I am about to leave Pittsburgh (relocating for a new job) and wanted to write about how much I love the neighborhood where I've spent the last 2 years.

I absolutely adore the Regent Square/Edgewood area of Pittsburgh, especially this time of year. I love walking around, admiring the beautiful old victorian homes with their gorgeous lawns full of spring flowers, seeing all of the dog-walkers taking their pooches down to Frick Park for a romp, strolling down S. Braddock to catch a movie at the independent theatre or get Thai food at the wonderful little noodle hut...

For anyone debating where to live in Pittsburgh, I recommend this area highly!! I feel safe walking home from the bus stop in the evenings, I've never had any trouble with my car or theft, and the neighbors are very friendly.

Regent Square, I will miss you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 12:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Speaking as another resident of Regent Square, it is always a bit sad to be losing someone who loves the neighborhood (since people who love the neighborhood make the best neighbors), but thank you very much for sharing your experiences.

Incidentally, I believe I mentioned elsewhere we were looking for a bigger place and facing the prospect of having to move out of Regent Square (e.g., we were looking at Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, and maybe Shadyside or Friendship), and then basically the perfect place in Regent Square--all of 2 1/2 blocks away from our current house--dropped in our laps.

And I think even we were caught a little off-guard by exactly how happy we are to be staying as opposed to moving to another perfectly nice neighborhood nearby, but it is for just the sort of reasons you gave--it is really a lovely little neighborhood, and pretty unique even in a pretty unique city.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:18 PM

158 posts, read 527,119 times
I live in Shadyside, and I do like all these east areas of the city. I wonder...I might like Regent Square best of all if I lived there. The park, the cool stuff to do. The REAL that Shadyside maybe doesn't have or maybe want.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:06 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smily Gladshanks View Post
I live in Shadyside, and I do like all these east areas of the city. I wonder...I might like Regent Square best of all if I lived there. The park, the cool stuff to do. The REAL that Shadyside maybe doesn't have or maybe want.
When I first came to Pittsburgh for graduate school I lived in Shadyside, and my wife was living there when we first started dating. I still think Shadyside is justifiably popular, and I could see it remaining someone's favorite East End neighborhood. For us the bottomline is that relative to Shadyside we can afford a lot more house in Regent Square, we appreciate the convenience of the small yards, front porches, and garages on alleys, we are content with the small but vibrant "downtown" area in Regent Square, and of course the Park is a great asset.

I think there is also a size factor: Regent Square is a much smaller neighborhood than Shadyside (and also than Squirrel Hill, which in many ways is more like Regent Square than Shadyside, except for the very notable size difference). I think that contributes to the sort of "Mayberry in the city" feel of Regent Square--which we like, but of course other people may find it a drawback.

Anyway, that is what I love about the East End in general--you can find all sorts of different neighborhoods in different sizes and price ranges, and different people may find different neighborhoods the most attractive.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:42 AM

13 posts, read 51,127 times
Quote:
I moved from Shadyside to Regent Square and thought I would miss Shadyside desparately, but rarely even think of it. Between the park and all the great eateries and close proximity to Squirrel Hill there's no place I'd rather be

Old 12-26-2008, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 12,497 times
Can you tell me a bit about the area in terms of it being appropriate for kids? I don't know the area of Regent Square, but we're moving there from Portland, Maine and it looks great. We have two small kids (2 and 3) and we'd like to be 'semi-urban' if possible. Coffee shops, friendly neighbors, but without the noise of downtown. So far, I love Pittsburgh when I've visited and could really see feeling at home there. Are there other young families in Regent Square, or will we feel old and out of place? I'd love to avoid urban sprawl if at all possible!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:26 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunjoyHill View Post
Can you tell me a bit about the area in terms of it being appropriate for kids? I don't know the area of Regent Square, but we're moving there from Portland, Maine and it looks great. We have two small kids (2 and 3) and we'd like to be 'semi-urban' if possible. Coffee shops, friendly neighbors, but without the noise of downtown. So far, I love Pittsburgh when I've visited and could really see feeling at home there. Are there other young families in Regent Square, or will we feel old and out of place? I'd love to avoid urban sprawl if at all possible!
It's just the neighborhood for you. There's plenty of other families living in Regent Square.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:52 PM

137 posts, read 354,046 times
Home of the worlds first radio station.....

Old 12-27-2008, 06:13 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
I live just down the street in Point Breeze, and like the Regent Square area a lot, but miss the village like atmosphere in Shadyside.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:58 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
I would not move kids into regent square as it is smack dab beside wilkinsburgh and there are constant crime problems sometimes involving guns on the bus way and also rebecca ave that runs through. I hated regent square and I didn't see what the big deal is about it. Its so small. Edgewood is very pretty though..But that stupid bus way and the trash it moves ruins it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh