Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 08:34 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,536 times

Advertisements

Certainly ' bested ' the LA Laker fans. The parade through downtown LA and into the Coli brought an estimated 95.000 fLaker ans to the streets and another 80.000 to the stadium for the reception. Pittsburgh's conservative estimate being around 375.000 for the downtown parade for the Pens. Not bad given that 375.000 figure is larger than the city population. " On Ice or Grass, we will kick your A___S !! watch the t- shirts roll out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 04:00 PM

32 posts, read 80,674 times
Buddy, I think you might be forgetting that there is much much much much much much much much more to do in LA than attend some team parade. The people there don't care about sports as much as people in Pittsburgh do, they have different things to do. I'm not trying to sound mean here, but I think you may have overlooked the fact that sports isn't the only thing to do in LA, while it is one of the major things to do in Pittsburgh.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:56 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,035 times
What I noticed in Pittsburgh is that there is an element that is into sports 24/7...fine if a person is an
avid sports fan..there are avid sports fans all over the country..but it seems like here, there is an element
that does not want to know about anything else or have any other interests...but sports..

This attitude of being comfortable in ignorance and NOT WANTING to learn anything else is what gets me..

Old 06-22-2009, 08:36 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
What I noticed in Pittsburgh is that there is an element that is into sports 24/7...fine if a person is an
avid sports fan..there are avid sports fans all over the country..but it seems like here, there is an element
that does not want to know about anything else or have any other interests...but sports..

This attitude of being comfortable in ignorance and NOT WANTING to learn anything else is what gets me..
Part of that stems from the success of the local teams. We've won more than our fair share of championships over the last 40 years. The last 30 years have been pretty tough on the city's self esteem, and Pittsburghers, being fairly immodest to begin with, aren't going to hesitate to crow about anything positive. The best example of this is to compare the reaction of Pittsburgh to being named "Most Liveable City" in 1985, to that of Cincinnati, who got the same honor in 1994. Cincy responded to the honor with an "aw shucks, that's nice" attitude, while Pittsburgh trumpeted, bragged and boasted for the next 20 years. It's just in our blood. Pittsburghers are very competitive. As long as we keep winning, sports will be a big deal here.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:45 PM

212 posts, read 640,811 times
Actually, police estimates here in SoCal (LA) were about 250,000 in parade, 100k at stadium , = 350,000. Yes, small for a city the size of LA. I actually got on the LA forum and asked about that. Yes, us Pittsburgh fans are a bit more crazed than most.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:09 AM

137 posts, read 367,078 times
Buddy, I think you might be forgetting that there is much much much much much much much much more to do in LA than attend some team parade.

I don't know about this. Sure, there are more entertainment options in LA, but Pittsburgh has plenty to do too. It's not like it's some little town in Nebraska. It's a city like any other city. And a much denser one than LA at that. The Pittsburgh sports teams are very close to people's hearts in Pittsburgh. It's a cultural thing. It's not just the jocks. EVERYONE loves the Steeler's here. And almost the same can be said for the Pens. The artists, the hipsters, the doctors, the educated, the poor...eveybody seems to love the sports teams and take pride in them. Therefore, your elitist, down your nose response is pretty unwarranted, as I suspect you've never been to the City.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 PM

780 posts, read 1,384,548 times
LA can keep their plastic faces, fake boobies and raging wildfires every season. I'll happily keep my Pittsburgh sports; among the hundreds of other things to do in the area!

Old 07-14-2009, 05:09 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post

It seems to be the case in most of that greater region. Having grown in Michigan, there is a very large Detroit sports fan who are 100% voted to all things sports related all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: