Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:25 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,693 times

Advertisements

So I'm a 26 year old guy and I've been living in this city all of my life. As far back as I can remember, I've never been a sports fan at all. Obviously this meant that I could care less about the Pirates, Pens, and Steelers. In a city that's so passionate about their sports, people always thought it was very strange that I never owned a single piece of Steelers merchandise.

Even when I worked with people over the phone at various jobs who were out of state, they always asked me how big of a Steelers fan I was. To their surprise I told them I didn't know the first thing about them. When people surrounded their lives with Black and Gold, I really could have cared less.

In a city like this, I've felt like the odd man out because I don't "bleed black and gold", especially when 99% of males my age go crazy over the "Stillers". Anyone else in the same boat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,777,857 times
COULDN'T care less.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:14 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
COULDN'T care less.

Thanks, that one drives me nuts as well.

As to the OP, don't worry about it. There are a lot on people that don't give a hoot about Pro Sports. I enjoy baseball, unfortunately, I'm in the wrong town.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
COULDN'T care less.
LOL! You beat me to it!

So you don't like sports... no big deal!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:44 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
I bleed black and gold, but I don't look at anybody funny if they don't.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,714,398 times
This thread went the way I was hoping it would. Thanks, gang!

This town is overflowing with people who could care a LOT less about sports.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:23 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I enjoy baseball, unfortunately, I'm in the wrong town.
My loving husband surprised me with a 20 game baseball ticket package this spring.... sheer hell, I tell ya!
This is definitely NOT a town for baseball. I pity all the long-suffering fans....

I'm a hockey gal myself.... have been since the 70s.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,693 times
Quote:
COULDN'T care less.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
While you might take some ribbing, it would all be in good fun. Yeah, you may get some surprised reactions, and you'll get people assuming. Oh well. Nothing you can do about that. Some people are just quick to jump that way. I find that people from out of town might ASK if I'm a big Steelers fan; they don't usually assume. And the answer is, I'm not nearly as big of a Steelers fan as some around here. I'll watch a game, but I won't plan my week around it or even necessarily my Sunday around it if I have something else that I have to get done.

Even the people who put on jerseys and stuff still sometimes are out shopping during the game on Sundays. They're not all 100% bleed black and gold. (BTW, that color ain't gold, no matter what they insist. )

Other sports I don't follow much at all. I've followed NFL football for years, since before I moved here, but I was never into hockey, basketball or even baseball. Items that make a more general newscast or such might attract my attention for a minute, but I don't read much sports news, don't watch ESPN and generally don't do a ton of talking about sports outside football season (and often that is only because I've been running a fantasy football league for several years; we're not so diehard that we keep much of anything going outside the regular NFL season).

So I'm not completely disinterested. I do own a couple of small Steelers pieces. I don't own a jersey.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:56 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My loving husband surprised me with a 20 game baseball ticket package this spring.... sheer hell, I tell ya!
This is definitely NOT a town for baseball. I pity all the long-suffering fans....

I'm a hockey gal myself.... have been since the 70s.
There is no way I could sit through 20 baseball games. I would try and find a way to sell them. How are you going to pay back your hubby?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh