Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:38 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

Latest stats:

As of November 2008, there are 249,147 registered voters in Westmoreland County

* Democratic: 136,882 (54.94%)
* Republican: 87,813 (35.25%)
* Other Parties: 24,452 (9.81%)
I wanted to add my 2 cents. The statistics quoted above were fairly typical of the Central Valley of California 25 - 30 years ago. Democratic registration over 50%, GOP mid 30s, Other below 10%. Socially, these area were traditional in nature and blue collar. Over the next generation, registration in the CA Central Valley changed to become low 40% for the Dems and GOP a like, with voting control held by the Republicans. In earlier decades, there were a lot of people who registered Democratic for family and social reasons who voted Republican as the Democrats moved left in the 60s and 70s. The children of these Democrats then registered as Republicans or independents but also continued to vote Republican. I make this point only to say that numbers alone don't tell the whole story. You have to know how to interpret them. And while I've never been to Ligonier, from afar it seems to have the feel of the Central Valley of California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 07:51 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I wanted to add my 2 cents. The statistics quoted above were fairly typical of the Central Valley of California 25 - 30 years ago. Democratic registration over 50%, GOP mid 30s, Other below 10%. Socially, these area were traditional in nature and blue collar. Over the next generation, registration in the CA Central Valley changed to become low 40% for the Dems and GOP a like, with voting control held by the Republicans. In earlier decades, there were a lot of people who registered Democratic for family and social reasons who voted Republican as the Democrats moved left in the 60s and 70s. The children of these Democrats then registered as Republicans or independents but also continued to vote Republican. I make this point only to say that numbers alone don't tell the whole story. You have to know how to interpret them. And while I've never been to Ligonier, from afar it seems to have the feel of the Central Valley of California.
Ohh wow! what an absolute coincidence... im from the Central Valley... i just i hate the area with a passion it's the most miserable place to live in all the entire US! lol of course you all know especially regulars to this City data blogging network... that i Absolutely Hate Fresno,ca with a passion..

Everything about the place is frustrating!! lol but you already knew that

Im positive that "west central Pennsylvania" will have a lot to offer for me... im excited.. thanks guys for making this a fun thread to read

Old 05-31-2009, 11:29 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
For what it is worth, in 2008 McCain won Westmoreland 57.8% to Obama's 41.1%. Here are more election results (including, e.g., House of Rep totals):

Commonwealth of PA - Elections Information

Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 AM

5 posts, read 29,327 times
Default Pardon the laughter

lived in Ligonier...

Ligonier is NOT central
Ligonier does have its own school district
Ligonier is NOT loaded with wealthy people, there are a few homes and the Mellon fringe, but the chances of meeting up with one of them are few and far between.

Ligonier is a quaint town with a rural setting. Famous for Idlewild Park and SoakZone (a small family amusement park with a pool-water area), you can also mountain hike in Linn Run State Park, join the country club where the Seniors Open was held one year, enjoy summer sounds at the town's center called the Ligonier Diamond. In the Fall, second weekend of October is Fort Ligonier Days to commemorate the battle at Fort Ligonier during the Revolutionary War. Saturday's, during the Summer and early Fall, you can enjoy the farmer's market.

Ligonier also has a YMCA with a pool program, workout program and other activities. The local library is now connected to a county wide program requiring one card and services that allow you to check out books from other participating libraries. There is a local grocery store and 2 immediate gas stations. No fast food other than a Subway. Some good restuarants. Check out the Ligonier Tavern for decent food and a nice local scene for late night acoustics and drinks. This is not a rowdy place, rather laid back. Joe's Bar across the street is a treat, again not rowdy. There are no nightclubs in Ligonier. The bowling alley across the street from Joe's is getting ready to see some changes, but I have little info yet.

At the East end of town (Route 30 E) you have two long time establishments Bull's Tavern and Ruthie's Diner. Bull's is a bar with food and Ruthie's likens itself to truckstop with homecooked goodness. Further East, you have Ligonier pool with a bar/eatery. I do not have the latest info on that joint, nut I do know it can be up and down. Keep driving on route 30 East (5 minutes) and you will be in Laughlintown. The Ligonier Country Inn, great for Sunday brunch, good food in general, a bit organic. Across the street, the Laughlintown Pie Shoppe, good treats.

Back in the town of Ligonier, along Route 30, another bar/ressie, name escapes me, is a decent place to eat for a dive kind of place. In town center, you have a smattering of food establishments and a couple of coffee shoppes. Ligonier is a great walking town.

Homes in the borough of Ligonier are quaint, old, historical in nature. Some may need a fix or two. The surrounding area, Ligonier township, have your average homes around $200,000 and up. Of course, you can always find cheaper and way more expensive.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIXARFREAK View Post
lived in Ligonier...

Ligonier is NOT central
Ligonier does have its own school district
Ligonier is NOT loaded with wealthy people, there are a few homes and the Mellon fringe, but the chances of meeting up with one of them are few and far between.

Ligonier is a quaint town with a rural setting. Famous for Idlewild Park and SoakZone (a small family amusement park with a pool-water area), you can also mountain hike in Linn Run State Park, join the country club where the Seniors Open was held one year, enjoy summer sounds at the town's center called the Ligonier Diamond. In the Fall, second weekend of October is Fort Ligonier Days to commemorate the battle at Fort Ligonier during the Revolutionary War. Saturday's, during the Summer and early Fall, you can enjoy the farmer's market.

Ligonier also has a YMCA with a pool program, workout program and other activities. The local library is now connected to a county wide program requiring one card and services that allow you to check out books from other participating libraries. There is a local grocery store and 2 immediate gas stations. No fast food other than a Subway. Some good restuarants. Check out the Ligonier Tavern for decent food and a nice local scene for late night acoustics and drinks. This is not a rowdy place, rather laid back. Joe's Bar across the street is a treat, again not rowdy. There are no nightclubs in Ligonier. The bowling alley across the street from Joe's is getting ready to see some changes, but I have little info yet.

At the East end of town (Route 30 E) you have two long time establishments Bull's Tavern and Ruthie's Diner. Bull's is a bar with food and Ruthie's likens itself to truckstop with homecooked goodness. Further East, you have Ligonier pool with a bar/eatery. I do not have the latest info on that joint, nut I do know it can be up and down. Keep driving on route 30 East (5 minutes) and you will be in Laughlintown. The Ligonier Country Inn, great for Sunday brunch, good food in general, a bit organic. Across the street, the Laughlintown Pie Shoppe, good treats.

Back in the town of Ligonier, along Route 30, another bar/ressie, name escapes me, is a decent place to eat for a dive kind of place. In town center, you have a smattering of food establishments and a couple of coffee shoppes. Ligonier is a great walking town.

Homes in the borough of Ligonier are quaint, old, historical in nature. Some may need a fix or two. The surrounding area, Ligonier township, have your average homes around $200,000 and up. Of course, you can always find cheaper and way more expensive.

Awesome advice!! just awesome! thanks man... finally someone gives actual advice about ligonier,pa.... finally...lol thanks man... i appreciate it..=)

thanks man take care

Old 06-23-2009, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 29,327 times
Anytime. But dude, IMA girl, lol.
I am very well versed in the area of Westmoreland county, specifically, Ligonier, Latrobe, Greensburg, and the small surrounding communities.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIXARFREAK View Post
Anytime. But dude, IMA girl, lol.
I am very well versed in the area of Westmoreland county, specifically, Ligonier, Latrobe, Greensburg, and the small surrounding communities.

sorry about that...lol as you can tell, I'm a Californian. I unconsciously say Dude a lot... lol yeah even to girls if i know them i'll call them dude sometimes... it's just a habit...lol well yeah thanks for the advice... i do have a Question? Is there any Big time hiring facilities like a Distribution Center or Some Warehouse or something of that type of work that's possibly hiring out in the Greensburg, Ligonier, or Latrobe area ?

I've been doing intense research on jobs out there especially warehouse/ Distribution Center Jobs and yeah i've had no luck finding one that i can call up... it's been pretty frustrating...lol but yeah.. Thanks PixarFreak =)

Take care

Old 06-23-2009, 09:12 PM

315 posts, read 665,394 times
rich white people who complain about the suburbs becoming too ghettofied

Old 06-23-2009, 11:33 PM

567 posts, read 1,162,057 times
You can try searching "Greensburg" and "warehouse" (or whatever else) on Pittsburgh Jobs at ImagineMyNewJob.com. They have tons of job listings all over the region.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:32 AM

137 posts, read 367,180 times
I grew up in Johnstown, just over the Mountain from Ligonier. To start, Ligonier is in western PA, regardless of any previous posts. It's a beautiful place, and not too far from Pittsburgh. That being said, life there is pretty slow and relaxed, which might be exactly what you're looking for. I currently live in NYC, and am just sort of taking it all in, but I could easily imagine moving back to the Ligonier area someday when I'm a little older. The place is so verdant and peaceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh