Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,942 times

Advertisements

Im just wondering basically how life is like out in Ligonier,pa it's in Western Pa and im just curious because i might be going out there soon and im really curious as to how people from that area are like? if anyone knows who is originally from out there or pretty much know how people are out there

please let me know... im really excited about possibly going out there and to see a different culture to that from out here on the west coast in Calfornia.

thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 05:43 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
Im just wondering basically how life is like out in Ligonier,pa it's in Western Pa and im just curious because i might be going out there soon and im really curious as to how people from that area are like? if anyone knows who is originally from out there or pretty much know how people are out there

please let me know... im really excited about possibly going out there and to see a different culture to that from out here on the west coast in Calfornia.

thanks guys!

you gotta be kidding me! No Replies...none.... lol i can't believe im actually quoting myself on this one... i guess there's no one that can give information as to how this town really is. Im planning to move there pretty soon i just need to know if anyone knows the way of life out there in Western Pa. Im just curious because if i ( a newcomer from the state of california) from the West coast i plan to move there..i just hope no one... thinks of me as an outsider...although naturally people would im just saying.. is it a nice community that's accepting of newcomers to the area or is a really uptight place? im just a little worried..is all
If anyone can help me out with some info on life out in ligonier,pa... that would be awesome ...thank you! =)

Old 05-28-2009, 06:05 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
I've only been there on biz a few times and have stopped by when they have a festival in the Fall. Nice, sleepy, little town. Lot of millionaires have estates out there. Sorry, don't know much more.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:

thanks guys!
You might get more of a response in the Pennsylvania forum... Ligonier isn't really Western PA. It's more central PA... gorgeous area, lots of money.

There's a Fort Ligonier. When we were kids on our way to Nanny and Pappy's house, my dad would always say there's Fart Ligonier, to tick my mom off. We may have stopped a few times. If we did, it didn't leave much impression.

I also seem to remember Idlewild Park (an amusement park) was near there, as was StoryBook Forest. I went to Idlewild with my cousin, who was terrified of every ride -- even the baby roller coaster. She was a wimp. No memory of StoryBook, and I don't think it's there anymore, but I could be wrong.

That's all my knowledge -- and it's about 40 years old....

Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 PM

297 posts, read 505,707 times
Quote:
you gotta be kidding me! No Replies...none.... lol i can't believe im actually quoting myself on this one... i guess there's no one that can give information as to how this town really is. Im planning to move there pretty soon i just need to know if anyone knows the way of life out there in Western Pa. Im just curious because if i ( a newcomer from the state of california) from the West coast i plan to move there..i just hope no one... thinks of me as an outsider...although naturally people would im just saying.. is it a nice community that's accepting of newcomers to the area or is a really uptight place? im just a little worried..is all
If anyone can help me out with some info on life out in ligonier,pa... that would be awesome ...thank you! =)
I've been to Ligonier, Westmoreland Co and Fayette Co. tons of times. Ligonier is a beautiful area. Very rural and a very small town. It is most famous for Idlewild Park and being there. When I was a kid I was go through Storeybook Forest and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood there. It is a really great amusement park, especially for kids. It is probably better than Kennywood for kids.

There isn't much to do in Ligonier, other than go on hikes in the woods, hunt, and fish. There are also several decent golf courses nearby. Latrobe is very close. It has the Rolling Rock factory, Greensburg has some decent shopping along the Rt.30 corridor. Monroeville isn't that far away. There is also Uniontown about 30 mins south and Morgantown about an hour south. So, there is a lot of stuff within an hour's drive.

Since it's such a small town, crime is very minimal, average schools. I believe Ligonier goes to Latrobe, but it could be Greensburg-Salem. Westmoreland Co is full of a lot of ex Democrats that are now pretty conservative and is run mostly by the GOP locally and they vote that way nationally as well. This is pretty much how all of Western PA, outside of Allegheny County, is nowdays though. Taxes are also much lower than in Allegheny County as well. Westmoreland is one of the largest counties in PA as far as population goes. It's the 2nd largest in Western PA, after Allegheny, and probably 5th or 6th largest in PA I would guess. Even so, Ligonier is a very small town where everybody knows everybody's name people live in the same homes for generations.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:42 PM

297 posts, read 505,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You might get more of a response in the Pennsylvania forum... Ligonier isn't really Western PA. It's more central PA... gorgeous area, lots of money.
How can you say that Ligonier is in central pa?!?!?! It's in Westmoreland Co, a few miles from Latrobe and Greensburg. When did Westmoreland County become Central PA? What do you consider Butler Co, northwestern PA? Quite an odd comment considering the town is probably less than 40 miles from downtown Pittsburgh.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 PM

212 posts, read 641,048 times
On your way to Ligonier, I think it's a little past Idlewild park, but going the OTHER way on Rt.30, (you have to make a u-turn) is a little chicken place on the side of the road, under a pavillion.

Best. Chicken. Ever.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:48 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathegg88 View Post
On your way to Ligonier, I think it's a little past Idlewild park, but going the OTHER way on Rt.30, (you have to make a u-turn) is a little chicken place on the side of the road, under a pavillion.

Best. Chicken. Ever.
I know! That chicken is grilled on a huge outdoor grill. I don't think they're open every day, though - does anyone know when they're there? The last time I was out that way they had just sold out all of their chicken and were packing up....

Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
How can you say that Ligonier is in central pa?!?!?! It's in Westmoreland Co, a few miles from Latrobe and Greensburg. When did Westmoreland County become Central PA? What do you consider Butler Co, northwestern PA? Quite an odd comment considering the town is probably less than 40 miles from downtown Pittsburgh.
I consider Butler home.... Actually Cranberry...

I did say that it's been 40 years, Matt. And it's farther than 40 miles from Cranberry. it's like 70 miles. And when you're a kid those miles are VERY LONG!! Westmoreland butts up to Somerset County and that's old family country (Meyersdale and Hooverville) and from there it's Bedford County, where my parents grew up -- so yeah -- it's closer to the middle of the state than where I grew up in Cranberry.

I can't wait for October, though.... I'll be heading towards that area to go to Hooverville (near Johnstown, which is also near Ligonier, isn't it? That's where my cousin lived.) to go to visit my family graves there. From there I'll head to Hyndman and Cook's Mills to do the same. (I'm really hoping that I can find my great grandmother's Mason's grave -- but it's a real long shot.(

It's a whole new meaning to following the Dead.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:19 PM

212 posts, read 641,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
I know! That chicken is grilled on a huge outdoor grill. I don't think they're open every day, though - does anyone know when they're there? The last time I was out that way they had just sold out all of their chicken and were packing up....
I think they're there May-October, but not sure of what days/hours, etc. It's been years since I've been there, and I'm really looking forward to going again this summer when I get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh