Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times

Advertisements

2 threads about this merged.
Yac.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
This is ridiculously awesome. I wonder if the city is going to do anything big to spruce up before September. Oh, I got it, they can finish the North Shore connector. There we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 04:04 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
<<glamorless, glitzless, why-the-hell-would-I-wanna-go-there, Pittsburgh?>>

Pittsburgh's views are glamorous, and so is the stunning architecture... It's definitely one of the prettier cities in America -- but it's not perceived to be. That may change! With all of the romantic historic buildings dotting the landscape, art deco high rises, mountains and rivers, and big city lights -- there is a lot of potential glamour in this city. We just don't have enough people here who recognize that. The glorious, gritty urban decay of the strip is a good example of something that some people may say is ugly, but others (especially from far away) would be fascinated by. America's heritage is in Pittsburgh.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:28 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
<<glamorless, glitzless, why-the-hell-would-I-wanna-go-there, Pittsburgh?>>

Pittsburgh's views are glamorous, and so is the stunning architecture... It's definitely one of the prettier cities in America -- but it's not perceived to be. That may change! With all of the romantic historic buildings dotting the landscape, art deco high rises, mountains and rivers, and big city lights -- there is a lot of potential glamour in this city. We just don't have enough people here who recognize that. The glorious, gritty urban decay of the strip is a good example of something that some people may say is ugly, but others (especially from far away) would be fascinated by. America's heritage is in Pittsburgh.
I don't disagree, but don't miss my point--the perception of Pittsburgh as glamorless is what I was referring to. And I'm not saying I was right in thinking that, but if you refer back to that article, it is interesting to think about whether it could be a factor. Did VisitPittsburgh hit a home run with that idea?

Old 05-29-2009, 06:18 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
This is getting dangerously close to becoming a Charlotte-bashing thread. That wasn't my intention, since I've done that enough.
Aww let's do a Charlotte basjing thread. Those are fun. Considering the cityt now has some of the worst job losses out of the top 40 metros, they are doing worse than us now. Plus I am absolutely sick and tired of people bragging that it and NC is some "City of Oz". Not everyone wants to move to the South people!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:23 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
This is probably the biggest thing to hit here in a long time. And I don't count sports teams as big news. I think the choice was pretty shrewd, too. Perhaps one reason is that it's easy to secure downtown Pittsburgh because it's surrounded by rivers? And while not a world capital, it is a major city and has been pretty successful in rebuilding its physical look and its economy. What was once one of the most polluted and dirty cities on earth is now drastically cleaner and a green leader. We still have major problems, of course, but I think we're better prepared to deal with them than a lot of other older northeastern and midwestern cities.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Aww let's do a Charlotte basjing thread. Those are fun. Considering the cityt now has some of the worst job losses out of the top 40 metros, they are doing worse than us now. Plus I am absolutely sick and tired of people bragging that it and NC is some "City of Oz". Not everyone wants to move to the South people!
I go down to Charlotte for work. It is annoying. We go to the city review board to get building permits. "Oh the Weather is so nice here. Oh it is so great here, bla bla bla" the reviewers rant on. You tell them you are from Pittsburgh, and it is like "Psshhhh, Pittsburgh".

I just want to say,
"Yeah, a real city. Not one filled with subdivisions as their uptown neighborhoods. This place fills like Cranberry with skyscrapers"

I just take it, and let the Pittsburgh<<<<<<<<Charlotte talk go on. Bad thing is the 50 some year old yinzers I go with think the same as the Charlotte people. I am sick of this attitute. (this gets back on topic with this thread).

Everybody I work with (the older ones) all act like this city sucks, and why would anybody want to come here. I was one of the first to get the news of this summit yesterday in the office. After telling coworkers they were like, "Why Pittsburgh?" They just don't see the city the same as I do. I am getting sick of it. I can't wait for this old negative yinzer attitude to go away. It holds us back.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I go down to Charlotte for work. It is annoying. We go to the city review board to get building permits. "Oh the Weather is so nice here. Oh it is so great here, bla bla bla" the reviewers rant on. You tell them you are from Pittsburgh, and it is like "Psshhhh, Pittsburgh".

I just want to say,
"Yeah, a real city. Not one filled with subdivisions as their uptown neighborhoods. This place fills like Cranberry with skyscrapers"

I just take it, and let the Pittsburgh<<<<<<<<Charlotte talk go on. Bad thing is the 50 some year old yinzers I go with think the same as the Charlotte people. I am sick of this attitute. (this gets back on topic with this thread).

Everybody I work with (the older ones) all act like this city sucks, and why would anybody want to come here. I was one of the first to get the news of this summit yesterday in the office. After telling coworkers they were like, "Why Pittsburgh?" They just don't see the city the same as I do. I am getting sick of it. I can't wait for this old negative yinzer attitude to go away. It holds us back.
I know I hate how middle ages natives think the American Dream is living in a sub division in Charlotte. Though this is hardly just a Pittsburgh thing; it's also common in NJ and NY. My mom is a big offender of this. One time on vacation she was talking to people and they said they were in Eastern PA and she told them how much she loves that side of the state and how crappy our side is. I really wanted flip out on her for "hating" on Pittsburgh. She also likes to tell people how lucky they are when they say they live in VA or NC. The yinzers 50 and up whine and complain because they want the old days of steel for some reason. Please tell the people in Charlotte what you think and bring some photos of our city down and maybe they will shut up.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
The media, basically laughed at us yesterday, in the White House press room, when it was announced that the G20 summit would be coming to here ....I wish I could find the video.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
The media, basically laughed at us yesterday, in the White House press room, when it was announced that the G20 summit would be coming to here ....I wish I could find the video.
I saw in on wtae.com yesterday. Stupid mentality of we're better than everyone in DC and NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh