Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:28 PM

255 posts, read 1,094,730 times

Advertisements

Okay folks.
The time for me to look for a place to live in Pittsburgh is upon me.
So far I have narrowed my choices of neighborhoods to live in down to three or so. If anyone would like to share any insights about each place (bad areas, commuting, local attractions) please do.

I'm going to be going to Pitt next fall and I'm into things like parks, libraries, art stuff, local history, and biking. I'm also married, so living near the Pegasus isn't a huge draw for me.

The three are: 1) Greenfield 2) Bloomfield 3) Lawrenceville

Thanks for the insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 06:07 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,074,184 times
Yikes, that would be a tough question... Lawrenceville would be my last pick (it's not the nicest place) although I have seen a lot of renovation because of Children's Hospital bringing in new business. Bloomfield is the "Lil Italy" of Pittsburgh and has some real cute areas. They have a bad problem with graffeti at the moment. None of those places would be considered new and definitely not the nicest neighborhoods in Pittsburgh, but I imagine the housing is inexspensive. Do you need to worry about schools? Those are all inner city school places..... eep.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Friendship/Bloomfield (The houses in Friendship are nicer than in Bloomfield but you still get to enjoy Bloomfield because it's just a block or two away. Friendship and Bloomfield are closer to the artists loft in East Liberty and the new art places we just learned about on Penn Avenue.)

Lawrenceville (You and I have talked lots about Lawrenceville. It's a nice enough place. If you can find the right place for the right price, go for it. I think you'll find Lawrenceville to have a more of a neighborhood feel than Friendship. I think the population in Friendship is more transient---students and renters and such than Lawrenceville.)

Greenfield (there's no art anywhere near Greenfield, but if you want to live near a park it's nicely situated near Schenley Park. Lawrenceville, Friendship and Bloomfield do not have nearby parks. Residents in those areas use the Allegheny Cemetary as a park for jogging, walking and biking. )

Old 04-17-2007, 09:15 AM

Cool Bloomfield vs. Greenfield

I think it's down to Bloomfield and Greenfield. Schools are not a concern at all as we have no kids nor plans to produce any dashing yet clumsy offspring.

I like Bloomfield because it's in the middle of the city and I know there are lots of artist stuff and coffee houses in the area. It's also not too far from Pitt.

I like Greenfield because of Schenly Park and it's really close to Pitt. Also lots of people talked it up in another thread I started.

If anyone has more insight on Bloomfield I'd appreciate it.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
Gotta go with Bloomfield. Just more going on there -- not as sleepy as Greenfield, which is more of a bedroom community. Plus Bloomfield isn't that far from Mellon Park, which isn't as nice as Schenley or Frick Parks as Greenfield but it is a good chunk of open green space.

Some of Bloomfield's housing, particularly around Liberty Avenue, is just strange, at least to my Midwestern sensibilities. There are a lot of tightly packed tall & narrow frame houses and rowhouses on very small lots and very narrow streets. There's virtually no green space in that part of the neighborhood. It just feels clausterphobic to me. But the houses there are cheaper than hell. Housing closer to Friendship is more standard single-homes (many converted to apartments) on bigger lots with actual yards and trees and stuff. I always liked Bloomfield and I enjoyed spending time there. You sure can't beat the Italian food in that neighborhood.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:20 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,074,184 times
Quote:
Gotta go with Bloomfield. Just more going on there -- not as sleepy as Greenfield, which is more of a bedroom community. Plus Bloomfield isn't that far from Mellon Park, which isn't as nice as Schenley or Frick Parks as Greenfield but it is a good chunk of open green space.

Some of Bloomfield's housing, particularly around Liberty Avenue, is just strange, at least to my Midwestern sensibilities. There are a lot of tightly packed tall & narrow frame houses and rowhouses on very small lots and very narrow streets. There's virtually no green space in that part of the neighborhood. It just feels clausterphobic to me. But the houses there are cheaper than hell. Housing closer to Friendship is more standard single-homes (many converted to apartments) on bigger lots with actual yards and trees and stuff. I always liked Bloomfield and I enjoyed spending time there. You sure can't beat the Italian food in that neighborhood.
I second this.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:40 PM

Bloomfield is very far from Mellon Park compared to how how close Greenfield is to Schenley park. He'll be able to easily bike from Greenfield to Oakland, and he might be lucky enough to find a home with a view of the Pittsburgh skyline in Greenfield. Of course Bloomfield/Friendship has much more to offer as far as neighborhoods go, but he wants parks, libraries, and biking. Greenfield has that. The only thing it doesn't have is the unique commercial district of the Bloomfield/Friendship area or the arts.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:00 PM

Lightbulb Two Questions

1) What are the worst areas of Bloomfield? And by worst, I mean those with the most crime. It seems like there isn't much in the way of violent crime there, but as for crime in general, I'm curious.

2) According to Google Map, the center of Greenfield and the center of Bloomfield are only about 15mins. apart (or about 4 miles). How is this from a practical stand-point? Does the reality match what Google comes up with?

One of the things I like about P-burg is that it's nice and compact, whereas Toledo, Ohio, where I live, is a sprawling mess.

What I mean is that it seems I could live in Greenfield and still get to Bloomfield fairly quickly and easily. Is this the case?

The reason I'm being particular is because I might have only a day or two to really look for an apartment.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder18 View Post
1) What are the worst areas of Bloomfield? And by worst, I mean those with the most crime. It seems like there isn't much in the way of violent crime there, but as for crime in general, I'm curious.
Garfield is across Penn Avenue from Friendship. Years ago, I lived about 1-1/2 blocks away from Penn Avenue on South Fairmont Street. My car was stolen in the middle of the night. It was parked on South Fairmont Street right in front of the building. I even heard the glass break, but when I looked out the window I didn't see anything wrong. The next morning my car was gone. It was found two days later, sitting on concrete blocks and stripped, in Garfield. Either find a place a few blocks away from Penn Avenue or own a car they don't like!

Quote:
2) According to Google Map, the center of Greenfield and the center of Bloomfield are only about 15mins. apart (or about 4 miles). How is this from a practical stand-point? Does the reality match what Google comes up with?
That's about right. The real question is how often will you bother to drive to Bloomfield once you've set your roots in Greenfield. There's a big difference between enjoying Bloomfield as a visitor and enjoying Bloomfield as a resident. When you drive there, you go to a specific restaurant or stop at a couple of stores. But when you live there, you walk down the sidewalks and live it. If you're the type of person who would drive to Bloomfield, park the car, and spend the day there, then you can have the best of both worlds. I personally think you'll end up walking into Oakland or Squirrel Hill more than you'll end up going to Bloomfield. There's nothing wrong with that though.

Quote:
What I mean is that it seems I could live in Greenfield and still get to Bloomfield fairly quickly and easily. Is this the case?
Yes, you could live in Greenfield and get to Bloomfield fairly quickly and easily.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:14 AM

52 posts, read 213,623 times
Older,

I am following you like a hawk because I think you have similar tastes to mine and I am embarking on the same quest you are in two months. Yikes. I just wanted to thank you for being so thorough in your search as it has certainly helped mine.

-S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh