Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:33 PM

358 posts, read 621,732 times

Advertisements

Read the book, "Why are all the black kids sitting together in the Cafeteria?" by Beverly Daniel Tatum. It is a very interesting, detailed book. As a black man who attended school in a school district that was about 60% white and 40% black. (We had no Asians or Latinos at that time) I can agree with probably 95% of what is argued in the book.

I think that book answers the questions you have posed in the thread. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 06:43 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
Read the book, "Why are all the black kids sitting together in the Cafeteria?" by Beverly Daniel Tatum. It is a very interesting, detailed book. As a black man who attended school in a school district that was about 60% white and 40% black. (We had no Asians or Latinos at that time) I can agree with probably 95% of what is argued in the book.

I think that book answers the questions you have posed in the thread. Just my 2 cents.
I think I know what you are getting at. I think it could be a thing of identity in an environment that is predominately of the larger culture, among other things. Here's more on the book and reviews about it: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...acial_Identity

Old 09-06-2009, 07:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I ask about displacement due to many cities tearing down public housing projects and gentrifying urban neighborhoods by pricing out working class and lower middle class people. Hence, my reason for asking this question, espeically since you stated that it has occurred at a rapid pace recently.
That's not the case here.

Quote:
As for the self segregating, how are they doing this? Are White students trying to interact with these new students?
I thought I explained that rather clearly in my previous post. Please re-read it.

Quote:
What was the percentage of the Black students before this influx?
1.5% in 2007. I estimate it's at 7% now. That's how I came to my 5.5% increase over two years.

Quote:
For instance, in my area, if you are Black and want to move to the suburbs, you most likely look at districts in the either the Northern or Eastern suburbs and Nedrow due to those districts having relatively more Black students than other school districts for various reasons like a military base being present, urban renewal pushing people out further from their old neighborhoods and affordable housing opening up as older families move on.
That's not the case in the suburbs of Pittsburgh that are experiencing this right now. Perhaps you're not familiar with the Pittsburgh area. Penn Hills is the suburban school district that has a larger percentage of minorities. It's real estate values declined, or didn't increase as they should have. That's an example I brought up to figure out how to avoid that happening in these other districts. Another area with a higher minority rate is Monreoville, but that's not a school district I'm discussing.

The school districts I'm focusing on for this discussion are all of the school districts in the greater northern suburbs. I'm using one for the specific percentage increase as an example. The other districts are experiencing increases at various rates higher and lower. The northern suburban districts are not areas that traditionally had a high percentage of minorities. So I guess what's happening here can't really be compared to what has happened where you live based on your example.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post

Thanks, NC_MVP! I'll definitely read it. As you can see, I really want to understand this!

I just find it very interesting that the black students who integrated at a slower rate aren't sitting together in the cafeteria. It's the newer students who came all at once in a larger wave. The fact that the ones who came in more slowly are more assimilated proves to me that the existing predominant culture was welcoming. The established minorities haven't reverted towards wanting a racial identity by moving back to sit with people of the same race.

I find it perplexing that all of the new minority students chose to isolate themselves. The white students haven't changed their ways. They're still the same students who accepted the previous minorities who came into the school. Why would the newer ones who arrived in a larger group feel that they don'tt belong? Especially when there are already existing black students who haven't isolated themselves?

I'm glad there is a book written by a black women on the issue. I just want to toss out that I think it's important for people to understand how the white students feel about this too. They're looking at these black students who chose to self-isolate themselves as people who are making race an issue when there was no issue previously.

I really think it's important for people to understand that racism isn't running so deeply in the veins of white people as everyone seems to believe. I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist. I'm just saying that there are a lot of misunderstandings in society. There are members of the majority who aren't racist and they become angry when people accuse them of being so. I don't want that to happen in our schools.

Pittsburgh is in a unique place to diversify so late in the game that there is of an understanding today concerning racism. I think it's very possible that the diversification can happen in a positive manner since it's happening spontaneously and not by force in a decade that is more socially progressive than previous decades.

Keep in mind that these students have only been in the school for 5 days. They chose on day one to self-segregate themselves.

Last edited by Hopes; 09-06-2009 at 08:18 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 08:22 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,684,449 times
Culture plays a big part too. It isn't the only factor of course, but it is an important one. People will tend to want to a culture they can relate to, which tends to be by race. Within each cultural or "cultural" enclave, there are generally subsections of economics.

Racism could easily play on all ends by every race too.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
I'm curious as to what school district you're talking about in the North Hills that is seeing an increase in minorities?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:09 AM

This is happening in four school districts in the North Hills. Since there have been no problems, I will not give anything more specific.

If things change for the worse in one of them, I will gladly share the district where it's not working out.

I just wanted to have a general discusson of how this diversification can happen as smoothly as possible.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:13 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,378,514 times
This long article from last July may shed some light about how Verona is trying to cope. Little Mizz Pgh posted the link back in April.

"They always felt that they were second-class citizens to Oakmont," Gray says. "With the black kids, their image is ruined."

But the fact that black residents are attracted to Verona is a compliment to the community, say the newcomers. Part of the appeal is the Riverview School District, which Oakmont and Verona share and which Jones says is "excellent."

Showing Colors - An Allegheny Valley town grapples with a rising black population - Main Feature - Main Feature - Pittsburgh City Paper

Verona had racial trouble back in the '60s. It seemed to get pretty well cleaned up for awhile. At least two of their larger apartment buildings take Section 8.

See the comments following the article.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 AM

323 posts, read 835,609 times
I am curious as to how there can be White Flight in Pittsburgh when many Pittsburgh posters in this forum insist that people are moving to the city, not out of it.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
I am curious as to how there can be White Flight in Pittsburgh when many Pittsburgh posters in this forum insist that people are moving to the city, not out of it.
Your comment is very confusing.

Nobody said white people are moving out of the city.

Nobody said white people are moving out of anywhere.

The only white flight mentioned in this thread happened decades ago in a suburban township called Penn Hills, which isn't even the city.

I'm not sure where you're getting the impression anyone said there is white flight currently happening anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh