Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Kind of Town Is Pittsburgh
Northeast 78 40.21%
Mid-Atlantic 40 20.62%
Mid-West 39 20.10%
Neither 28 14.43%
Don't Know 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2019, 07:25 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times

Advertisements

As I've said numerous times, there is no such thing as "culturally Midwestern" or even "culturally Northeastern." The South is the only portion of the country which is both a geographic region and a culture. Everything else is just a big melange of not southern, or "northern" if you will, that just blends together.

To the extent there are cultural linkages within the north, they tend to spread across regions, rather than within them. Thus Michigan has more in common with Upstate NY, or even New England, than it does with Central Indiana.

Geographically speaking, there is absolutely no doubt that Pittsburgh, being in a northeastern state, is part of the Northeast. There is zero debate about this.

In terms of its self-identity, it also identifies pretty strongly as being Northeastern - much more so than Buffalo, even though Buffalo is further east. I pin this down to Buffalo - as a "Great Lakes City" having a good deal in common with many upper Midwestern cities (most notably Cleveland, which isn't that far away). In contrast Pittsburgh doesn't share a lot of similarities to Cleveland at all, since it sprung from a totally different settlement pattern. Its closest Midwestern analogue is Cincinnati, but since it's on the far southwestern side of Ohio, the two cities don't actually identify with one another very much.

Last edited by eschaton; 07-25-2019 at 08:29 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 08:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,799,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As I've said numerous times, there is no such thing as "culturally Midwestern" or even "culturally Northeastern." The South is the only portion of the country which is both a geographic region and a culture. Everything else is just a big melange of not southern, or "northern" if you will, that just blends together.

To the extent there are cultural linkages within the north, they tend to spread across regions, rather than within them. Thus Michigan has more in common with Upstate NY, or even New England, than it does with Central Indiana.

Geographically speaking, there is absolutely no doubt that Pittsburgh, being in a northeastern state, is part of the Northeast. There is zero debate about this.

In terms of its self-identity, it also identifies pretty strongly as being Northeastern - much more so than Buffalo, even though Buffalo is further east. I pin this down to Buffalo - as a "Great Lakes City" having a good deal in common with many upper Midwestern cities (most notably Cleveland, which isn't that far away. In contrast Pittsburgh doesn't share a lot of similarities to Cleveland at all, since it sprung from a totally different settlement pattern. Its closest Midwestern analogue is Cincinnati, but since it's on the far southwestern side of Ohio, the two cities don't actually identify with one another very much.
The Great Lakes Region is one of the best examples of a true region in the US. From Milwaukee, over to Buffalo/Rochester, hell, even as far as Syracuse, this is the most similar group of cities in the country, with Chicago being the biggest outlier, due to it's huge size, and even then, Chicago still shares a lot of similarities with the group.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

In terms of its self-identity, it also identifies pretty strongly as being Northeastern - much more so than Buffalo, even though Buffalo is further east. I pin this down to Buffalo - as a "Great Lakes City" having a good deal in common with many upper Midwestern cities (most notably Cleveland, which isn't that far away). In contrast Pittsburgh doesn't share a lot of similarities to Cleveland at all, since it sprung from a totally different settlement pattern. Its closest Midwestern analogue is Cincinnati, but since it's on the far southwestern side of Ohio, the two cities don't actually identify with one another very much.
Both the Mountain West and the West Coast have their own "cultures". Since this is a Pittsburgh forum, I won't go into it, but suffice it to say, the cultures are "different" from the northeast. I suggest a long visit to Wyoming and another to California.

Re: Pittsburgh and Cleveland, they're 133 miles apart, not much at all. They're both industrial, or I should say now "post-industrial" cities. There are differences, yes, but they are more similar than different.

Michigan, like Pennsylvania, is a fairly large state geographically, so parts of it have commonalities with many states and of course, Canada. The UP is a land of its own, similar to northern Wisconsin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The Great Lakes Region is one of the best examples of a true region in the US. From Milwaukee, over to Buffalo/Rochester, hell, even as far as Syracuse, this is the most similar group of cities in the country, with Chicago being the biggest outlier, due to it's huge size, and even then, Chicago still shares a lot of similarities with the group.
Syracuse is a "Finger Lakes" city, not a Great Lake one.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:16 AM

1,837 posts, read 676,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Pace as far as what? Development or people in a hurry? You think it’s faster in Pittsburgh than Cleveland, Cincinnati and Columbus? I’d say they are all about the same. Pittsburgh feels like combinations of those cities. I don’t see anything in common with the bos wash corridor or even Philadelphia. It is like a different world. Pittsburgh just happens to be located in the same state as Philadelphia.

The Western half of PA fits in with the Great Lakes and Appalachia region. That’s what I would call it. A combination of Ohio, West Virginia, western mountain Maryland, Michigan, upstate New York and northern Kentucky and eastern Indiana. That is how I would describe the western half of pa. Nothing like bos wash corridor.

Pittsburgh is closer to Covington Kentucky than it is Philadelphia.
I'm not sure why you chose Philadelphia and not DC in that comparison. Pittsburgh (or western half of PA) is closer to Washington DC than Covington, Kentucky. And Washington DC is a huge metropolitan area. Easily driveable to Pittsburgh to DC in a day. The Wash side of the Bos-Wash corridor includes the western mountain area of Maryland, WV and Virginia. While not Bos Wash corridor, western half of PA is clearly in the East (Northeast or Mid-Atlantic), much like western NY and western MD, northern areas of WV and Virginia.

Last edited by g555; 07-25-2019 at 09:24 AM..

Old 07-25-2019, 09:45 AM

755 posts, read 472,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Syracuse is a "Finger Lakes" city, not a Great Lake one.
Speaking out for the Orange Nation . . . . having lived in that region for almost 15 years, no one I knew from Syracuse would call it either a Great Lakes or a Finger Lakes city. Onondaga Lake really is it's own body of water: some Finger Lakes "expansionists" like to cite it, but the peeps in Syracuse really don't see it that way. The one firm connection between Syracuse and the Finger Lakes is the town and lake called Skaneateles. It is the "go to" Finger Lake for most central New Yorkers (which is what the region considers itself to be, incidentally) and the source of public drinking water for the City of Syracuse.

Has anyone read the OP's question??? It says "what KIND of town" is Pittsburgh. Not "what region". Having been around a little, I would say it is the place where the northeast meets the mid-west. I am not into making lists ad infinitum/nauseum, but, experientially, I think it has features of both in my daily interactions with folks.

Last edited by Charley Barker; 07-25-2019 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-29-2019, 12:46 PM

71 posts, read 45,571 times
I grew up in Pittsburgh and never, ever heard the city referred to as the Midwest. In fact, I've never heard it referred to as the Midwest *anywhere* until I started reading these forums. Pittsburgh is the second largest city in a major Northeastern state. I understand that the city is close to the border with the state of Ohio, a Midwest state, but that does not mean that Pittsburgh is a Midwestern city. This seems fairly obvious to me, and I suspect anyone with eyeballs and an unbiased opinion.

In my opinion "Pittsburgh is the Midwest" has been used here by snobby people on the East Coast or jealous people in the Midwest to keep Pittsburghers ego's in check.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:32 PM

716 posts, read 765,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride2019 View Post
I grew up in Pittsburgh and never, ever heard the city referred to as the Midwest. In fact, I've never heard it referred to as the Midwest *anywhere* until I started reading these forums. Pittsburgh is the second largest city in a major Northeastern state. I understand that the city is close to the border with the state of Ohio, a Midwest state, but that does not mean that Pittsburgh is a Midwestern city. This seems fairly obvious to me, and I suspect anyone with eyeballs and an unbiased opinion.

In my opinion "Pittsburgh is the Midwest" has been used here by snobby people on the East Coast or jealous people in the Midwest to keep Pittsburghers ego's in check.
I have a hard time believing that anyone from the coast, no matter how snobby they might be, is going to call a city in Pennsylvania "the Midwest." I'm going to say its a combination of your second hypothesis combined with self-loathing natives to the city who have left (or had to leave during darker times) for what they perceived as greener pastures. Or people born in Western PA who never actually lived in the city or even Allegheny County to begin with, and definitely don't have a clue of how what it's like to live in the city during the past decade or so and think Midwest is a pejorative term rather than a geographic term. We often have several of those types of posters on this very board!

Old 07-29-2019, 04:14 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
I have a hard time believing that anyone from the coast, no matter how snobby they might be, is going to call a city in Pennsylvania "the Midwest." I'm going to say its a combination of your second hypothesis combined with self-loathing natives to the city who have left (or had to leave during darker times) for what they perceived as greener pastures. Or people born in Western PA who never actually lived in the city or even Allegheny County to begin with, and definitely don't have a clue of how what it's like to live in the city during the past decade or so and think Midwest is a pejorative term rather than a geographic term. We often have several of those types of posters on this very board!
I was born and raised in rural Western Pa into a family that has been in Western PA for close to 150 years, who came from Philadelphia area originally...everyone, even in our far out rural area, considered Pittsburgh, and all of PA northeastern (That is if anyone actually ever had to think about it outside of these forums). I think there is a healthy dose of this misconstrued idea that Pittsburgh is full of hookie “real Americans” that makes it Midwestern, like any other place is not real America.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:17 PM

615 posts, read 393,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
I'm not sure why you chose Philadelphia and not DC in that comparison. Pittsburgh (or western half of PA) is closer to Washington DC than Covington, Kentucky. And Washington DC is a huge metropolitan area. Easily driveable to Pittsburgh to DC in a day. The Wash side of the Bos-Wash corridor includes the western mountain area of Maryland, WV and Virginia. While not Bos Wash corridor, western half of PA is clearly in the East (Northeast or Mid-Atlantic), much like western NY and western MD, northern areas of WV and Virginia.
Pittsburgh is also closer to Michigan than Washington DC. You can be past Toledo and In Michigan quicker than you can be in DC.

Pittsburgh just doesn’t have much in common with DC, Baltimore and philly. Pittsburgh is like a mixture of Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:44 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Pittsburgh is also closer to Michigan than Washington DC. You can be past Toledo and In Michigan quicker than you can be in DC.

Pittsburgh just doesn’t have much in common with DC, Baltimore and philly. Pittsburgh is like a mixture of Cleveland and Cincinnati.
Well DC and Baltimore aren’t in the Northeast, so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh