Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepoint View Post
Ever been to a Phillies game?
yes, and the point stands.

creeps-Personally I think Philly and Pitt are both underrated cities that have a lot on common, both good and bad...as well as Harrisburg's problems (highest corp income tax in the country). It didn't go unnoticed, among my Philly friends, that Pittsburgh unseated Dallas as the team with the most Super bowls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:36 PM

145 posts, read 283,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
yes, and the point stands.
If you've been to a Phillies game, and do not believe their fans are among, if not the, most obnoxious in the country you're either (A) a Phillies fan; or (B) very close to Phillies fans whom you prefer not to paint with that brush.

It's a common perception, but feel free to disregard it.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
If you've been to a Phillies game, and do not believe their fans are among, if not the, most obnoxious in the country you're either (A) a Phillies fan; or (B) very close to Phillies fans whom you prefer not to paint with that brush.

it's a common misperception certainly fueled by the media. Flyers fans, I think, are among the worst, Phils fans, notsomuch. Yankees fans, definitely. have you ever been to a Phillies game? Pirates games are friendly too, they remind me of Phillies games when they were bad. there was more of a comradery since there's so few of you (well, maybe not as few as the pirates games).

Old 10-30-2009, 06:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Wasn't Santa booed at an Eagles game?

Old 10-30-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wasn't Santa booed at an Eagles game?
yep, though this goes in with the media playing a willing part in mischaracterizing (villainizing) Philly fans,
[quote]
While the vibe in Philadelphia is decidedly more brotherly this year with the Eagles headed to the Super Bowl, the 1968 team, at 2-12, was truly bad. Quarterback Norm Snead threw for 11 touchdowns and 21 interceptions that season. Coach Joe Kuharich led the team to an 0-11 start, and fans flocked to old Franklin Field wearing "Joe Must Go" buttons..."Most of the time, they're not really as tough as they seem," said Rendell, who moonlights as an Eagles commentator for a local cable channel. "They boo players who don't make an effort."..By 1968, Olivo, then a skinny 20-year-old kid, had been wearing a Santa suit and fake white beard to the last Eagles home game for several years. As halftime approached in the game Dec. 15 against the Vikings, the Eagles' entertainment director asked him to replace a hired Santa stranded by the snowstorm.

As instructed, Olivo ran downfield past a row of elf-costumed "Eaglettes" and the team's 50-person brass band playing "Here Comes Santa Claus."..When I hit the end zone, and the snowballs started, I was waving my finger at the crowd, saying 'You're not getting anything for Christmas," Olivo recalled.

He was startled at first, but later laughed it off. Local sports writers made scant mention of the episode until the Cosell broadcast.

"It became a thing that Philadelphia sports fans became famous for doing, and it will never die, I guess," Olivo said. "Look how many years it's been.".. The crowd in Cleveland -- infamous for raucous deportment in the "Dog Pound" -- once reduced its own quarterback to tears. And a visiting equipment manager was injured when disgusted fans at Giants Stadium threw frozen projectiles.

But the "Booing Santa in Philly" legend -- in all its forms -- lives on.

"It's become one of these great urban tales, handed down in sports from generation to generation," Macnow said./[quote]

Philly fans' rogue image got boost when Santa booed in 1968 - NFL - ESPN

your comment kind of reinforces my point though, "it's Philly" pretty much just assumes they're bad fans. It also creates a vicious cycle where people there feel like they are supposed to act that way, it's expected. I haven't experienced it at Phillies games, they are intense relative to bad sports towns like tampa but not really compared to a lot o other old sports towns. I've been to pirates, yankees, red sox, phillies, and tigers games. The Phillies fans weren't any worse than boston or NY, pirates and tigers (at the time) were pretty empty. orioles I suppose was quieter than the others. It's not entirely the same fanbase (though when you win, you do get a good amount of people who are really rooting for their hometown, not because they're necessarily baseball fans). I used to go to flyers games when I was younger, they were obnoxious IMO. Phillies not so much. football was too expensive. Case in point though, people remember the Eagles for a courtroom in the stadium. they haven't had one since they built the new stadium but the Redskins have had one ever since, but nobody ever brings it up.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:59 AM

The day Philly stopped being a joke | Philly | 10/30/2009

Quote:
It was July 8, 2007. The Phillies, out of the playoffs for nearly 14 long years, having lost an epic 9,999 games, were playing an afternoon game at Coors Field in Denver, when a wind-whipped thunderstorm raced down the Rocky Mountains to stop play in the 7th inning. The grounds crew was struggling so much with the winds that a couple of workers were trapped under the heavy tarp. The Rockies had already retreated to the clubhouse, but a posse of Phillies -- led by centerfielder Shane Victorino -- dashed out into the downpour, pulling back the tarp and freeing the trapped workers. "When it draped over the guys, I was worried that somebody might suffocate," the head groundskeeper said later. "It was really cool the Phillies came out and gave us a hand."
The day Philly stopped being a joke | Philly | 10/30/2009

Old 11-01-2009, 06:20 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,540 times
Quote:

I wasn't necessarily referring to behavior at the ballpark. It's more the arrogance of the Yankee fans in general that, I suppose, comes with the boatload of World Series wins ... (as if they, the fans, won them themselves).

(And I know; Philly is rough. And no, I'm not a Phillies fan).

Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 AM

145 posts, read 283,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it's a common misperception certainly fueled by the media. Flyers fans, I think, are among the worst, Phils fans, notsomuch. Yankees fans, definitely. have you ever been to a Phillies game? Pirates games are friendly too, they remind me of Phillies games when they were bad. there was more of a comradery since there's so few of you (well, maybe not as few as the pirates games).
I have been to a few Phillies games. The battery throwing incident comes to mind I suppose I can't say with authority that they are the worst, but they can be pretty rough. And when I say the fans are tough, I'm not referring to camaraderie... I'm referring to the hostility toward opposing teams and their fans.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
I wasn't necessarily referring to behavior at the ballpark. It's more the arrogance of the Yankee fans in general that, I suppose, comes with the boatload of World Series wins ... (as if they, the fans, won them themselves).

(And I know; Philly is rough. And no, I'm not a Phillies fan).
you gotta be rough with that 90 miles up the road, always rubbing your face in it.
Regarding hostility, I don't think it's worse at Phillies games than, say, NY. that may not be true at all Philly games (as opposed to Phillies) but it is for the Phillies. NY fans can be pretty brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh