Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,564 times

Advertisements

I am doing some research on Donahoe's chain of grocery stores. They no longer exisit, but were pritty big years ago. Any information would be a big help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I never heard of Donahoe's. If it was a big chain in the past 50 years, I think I would have heard of it.

Are you sure it was a SW PA chain? It could have been on the eastern side of the state. Try posting in the other PA forums.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,229,034 times
My parents used to work Downtown in the 1950s and always talk about the Donahoes on Forbes Avenue near Market Square. It was kind of like a farmers market or what could be found at Penn Mac, but not necessarily Italian influenced. There were big barrels of pickles, smoked hams and sausages hanging from the ceiling and big blocks of cheese. It was a specialty market that most old time Pittsburghers who would travel into Downtown knew very well. I'll call my parents within the next few days to see if I can get more info. In fact, a few years ago, there was talk about bringing back a store that was "reminiscent of the old Donahoes" to Downtown for people living and working there. I remember Donahoe's being mentioned in the article.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 12-17-2009 at 10:07 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 05:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
1950 explains why I'd never heard of it. I didn't live here until 1970.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:43 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,491 times
I vaguely remember Donahoes from my childhood. I wasn't living in Pittsburgh then but, I did visit often. I remember shopping at Donahoes, the Jenkins Arcade and eating lunch in the Blue Room at Woolworths. The good old days!

Old 12-19-2009, 10:41 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan89 View Post
I am doing some research on Donahoe's chain of grocery stores. They no longer exisit, but were pritty big years ago. Any information would be a big help. Thanks.
I barely remember Donahoe's.... I do remember my Dad really liking the place. One of the owners sons was my room mate at Grove City back in '68. Seeing this post made me remember him.. unfortunately, he passed away. For what it's worth, his family was from Mt. Lebanon. Maybe they are still there?

Have you tried asking:
http://http://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/ (http://http//www.heinzhistorycenter.org/ - broken link)

I tried searching Google a little and was surprised that nothing came up. It was a famous place its day.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 7,197 times
Yes, I remember Donahoe's. In fact I used to work for then at their store located on Rt. 19, in McCandless Township. I was a stock boy and bagger from 1952-1954. The manager of the store was Eddie Snead. In 1953 he was replaced by Tom Donahoe who was the son of the Sr. Donahoe. Tom was married to the daughter of Pittsburgh's Mayor, David Lawrence.

Donahoe's had several stores in the area around Pittsburgh but I wouldn't call them a chain. Their main store was in downtown Pittsburgh. I think most people considered Donahoe's to be the finest grocery market in Pittsburgh.

My mother would make a special trip to the downtown store in Nvember to buy candied fruit for her holiday baking. Nothing else would do...she had to have Donahoe's Quality.

My dad used to pick red raspberries for an uncle who had a farm. His uncle would sell these berries to Donahoes. This went on in the mid twenties when he was a teenager.

Donahoes had many signature products. One of these was their Tub Butter This stuff came bulk in tubs that weighed hundreds of pound. Workers, on occasion me, woud hack these tubs of butter into one-pound blocks or close to it. People bought it because they thought it was fresh. And it was.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:23 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,588 times
I don't remember Donahoe's, but I do remember Thorofare, which was another large chain that used to operate in the area until the 1980s.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 6,732 times
HI - not only do i remember donahoe's, i worked there from 1969-1973. is there anything in particular you wnat to know?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,569 times
Default Remember the store well.

I was discussing holiday traditions with my sister who now lives in Seattle, and our grandparents would take us downtown Pgh to shop as kids for the holiday and see Santa. I can clearly remember the store downtown although as a true Pittsburgher I don't remember what street it was located on but I believe it was near the Warner Theater. When u enter, it was very dark, with an exposed ceiling space (like the new posh grocery stores try to emulate now-adays) the lighting was more from the display cases and the individual isles. There was an old open metal elevator with a gentleman operator that would take you to the second floor where the cafeteria was. It was wonderful. You got a tray and got to pick fresh slices of pies and all kind of fresh entries. It wasn't fancy but to a kid it was very special.
The main floor was much like a farmers market, with booths that had individual items like fresh butter (being churned and formed into blocks) and peanut butter. The butcher shop had that pine chip smell with the floor covered with sawdust. Will try to remember more, my grand parents lived near the huge market on the old North Side so some memories are mixed from the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh