Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,013 times

Advertisements

Thank you LittDonahoe. It's really not that hard. It's pronounced exactly as it is spelled too. (Biggest pet peeve growing up.)

I'm a grandson of the last generation that was in charge of operating the store. My dad also said that the company was poorly managed. It was the third generation and it was a big family. So I'm sure part of the strife had to do with some portion of the family being idiots when it comes to managing a large regional company. There were something like 6 sons in my grandfathers family unit and the was one child in the third generation. But these are sort of guesses. I don't really know much about the store other than what my dad tells me about walking around the store when he was growing up. Stories about churning butter. My grandfather died before I was born, and pretty young so no one really talks about the store, or things to do with him. Anyone with a Donahoe last name in this city is related, al be it 2nd or third cousins, on some level. My dad often says it was sort of like whole foods of the region at the time. But no where near as polished. I would say that Part of the reason the business went under is the transition in post war times to pre-made tv dinners. It was after the war and tins and rationing. So people stopped cooking. The men were at war, the women were doing the men's jobs at home, and there wasn't time to make dinners like they used to. So the American food culture changed. We are changing back, but slowly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,916 times
Default My great grandfather started Donahoe's

Not much activity on this lately, but I was doing a little research myself & found it! My great-grandfather was Peter J Donahoe who started it all. One of his sons was my grandfather TK (Thomas Kernan) Donahoe who had been part of the store management but died tragically in his 40's. One of TK's sons had married David Lawrence's daughter (Mayor of Pgh/Gov of PA) and their son is the one who ran the Steelers.

My 91 year old mother is the last of TK's children.

Most of Peter's great-grandchildren & beyond are still scattered around Pittsburgh and are proud of the Donahoe's history.

** And it was Peter J's great grandson who went to Grove City (my brother).

Last edited by citprof; 09-11-2013 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Had only read the first page of posts...then noticed the others!

Old 03-29-2014, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,723 times
I remember Donahoe's mostly by the sawdust on the floor and the green & white stripped sign (I think) and the wonderful aroma. My mum would always make this one of her stops when going to town. I was maybe 4 or 5 in the 50s. Just loved visiting that store. I don't remember what she bought (although that cheese cake everyone was talking about kind of rings a bell) but the sawdust and wonderful smell lingers in my memory.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citprof View Post
Not much activity on this lately, but I was doing a little research myself & found it! My great-grandfather was Peter J Donahoe who started it all. One of his sons was my grandfather TK (Thomas Kernan) Donahoe who had been part of the store management but died tragically in his 40's. One of TK's sons had married David Lawrence's daughter (Mayor of Pgh/Gov of PA) and their son is the one who ran the Steelers.

My 91 year old mother is the last of TK's children.

Most of Peter's great-grandchildren & beyond are still scattered around Pittsburgh and are proud of the Donahoe's history.

** And it was Peter J's great grandson who went to Grove City (my brother).
I went to college with Pete.... actually was one of my room mates my freshman year. Good guy... brings back memories

Old 03-30-2014, 10:58 AM

632 posts, read 853,245 times
The Donahoe's I am familiar with was a restaurant Downtown.
From the 1920-50's, I believe. My grandparents used to talk about it
all the time. You could buy some grocery items there. For example, older
Pittsburghers will still talk about the massive boulder of butter they had at the
front counter. You could go and order a pound. They would scoop off the exact
amount and wrap it up for you.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:32 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,541,469 times

Old 02-17-2017, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,160 times
Ann Marie Donahoe lives in the condo above me, and she's told me many stories about when she and her husband owned Donahoe's. She turns 100 years-old this October, so if anyone still has an interest in the history of the store, better do it soon. She loves to talk about the place - and her husband, who passed away many years ago. If anyone is interested in talking with her, I can ask, and I can be reached at [email]wac7172@aol.com[/email].

Old 01-18-2018, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 893 times
I remember their hamburgers with lettuce and tomatoes and a round, yellow cake with nuts covering the sides. The best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh