Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 PM

57 posts, read 129,278 times

Advertisements

My mother and I used to ride the bus to downtown Pgh. and we walked all over - Kaufmann's, Joseph Hornes, Gimbels, Murphy's, Woolworths, Isaly's and Donahues. We used to eat at the lunch counter at Donahues. Downtown Pgh. was wonderful back in the 60's, and 70's when I was growing up. A market similar to that would probably be successful nowadays. People would love to purchase the fresh and bulk food items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,404 times
My uncles mother worked at Donahoe's around 1925... In fact I have 4 employee magazines published by the Donahoe's employees association. They are volume one , number one, two, three, and four. Printed in June, July, August, & September 1925. One of my favorite articles talks about Donahoe's buttermilk which is guaranteed in compliance with the eighteenth amendment!!! Lol, took me a second to realize what they meant...

Old 04-07-2011, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 12,639 times
I also remember Donahue's in 1950's and 1960's. My Grandmother worked downtown Pittsburgh and when we would visit, she would bring home Italian Cheesecake form Donahues. I vaguely remember going to the store. I thought it was a bakery because the cheesecake came in a bakery box with string wrapped around it (but in those days all bakeries packed goods the same way (this is a lost art)). I loved that cheescake as it was baked in an angelfood pan and had light dusting of graham cracker all around it and it was very high and light, like an angel food cake. I have been searching for a recipe for that italian cheescake for many years and have not found one. Gives me an idea, email Pittsburgh Press...I miss the old city "downtowns of the 50's and 60's. It was great fun getting on a bus and going "downtown".

Old 04-07-2011, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 12,639 times
I have been looking for a recipe for the Donahue's Italian Cheesecake that they used to make. It was high and light and baked in an angel food cake pan and had light dusting of graham cracker around it. It was the best! I have searched for many years for a recipie that resembles this and cannot find one. Do you have any idea where I can get this recipe? Thanks so much.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:08 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDeck View Post
I have been looking for a recipe for the Donahue's Italian Cheesecake that they used to make. It was high and light and baked in an angel food cake pan and had light dusting of graham cracker around it. It was the best! I have searched for many years for a recipie that resembles this and cannot find one. Do you have any idea where I can get this recipe? Thanks so much.
I don't know anything about Donahoe's but what makes "Italian" cheescake Italian is the substitution of ricotta cheese for cream cheese. Here's one recipe for a torta di ricotta: http://lisetta.wordpress.com/2009/03...ta-di-ricotta/. There's also one in Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Italian Cooking or More Classic Italian Cooking.

Last edited by jay5835; 04-07-2011 at 12:17 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,100 times
I just walked past a building in Manchester this morning that had the name "Donahoe's Foods" at the very top of the building painted in the brick. Of course it's very faded at this point, but still readable. I came online to look and see if there was any info on this business as I had never heard of it. Funny, I'm a life-long Pittsburgher but that name I just don't remember. The building looks as if it could've been a warehouse location for Donahoe's, or maybe a marketplace.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:23 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorninPittsburgh View Post
My mother and I used to ride the bus to downtown Pgh. and we walked all over - Kaufmann's, Joseph Hornes, Gimbels, Murphy's, Woolworths, Isaly's and Donahues. We used to eat at the lunch counter at Donahues. Downtown Pgh. was wonderful back in the 60's, and 70's when I was growing up. A market similar to that would probably be successful nowadays. People would love to purchase the fresh and bulk food items.
I remember trips to the city from Aliquippa in the 50's and 6O.'s and going to all those places. Pittsburgh certainly had a vibrant downtown back then. I remember all the little stores and a good bakery in the Jenkins Arcade also. I don't remember Donahoe's lunch counter, but recall the cafeteria very well. It was a real treat to go there!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:31 PM

293 posts, read 719,741 times
I think a remember a Donna Hoe nearby my house during my childhood.....But then again, she's probably dead by now.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:32 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
I remember trips to the city from Aliquippa in the 50's and 6O.'s and going to all those places. Pittsburgh certainly had a vibrant downtown back then. I remember all the little stores and a good bakery in the Jenkins Arcade also. I don't remember Donahoe's lunch counter, but recall the cafeteria very well. It was a real treat to go there!
I wish Jenkins Arcade were still there.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
I think a remember a Donna Hoe nearby my house during my childhood.....But then again, she's probably dead by now.
LOL

I think I saw her on Chartiers Avenue last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh