Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I found a link about the Boston situation. I'm not debating whether it happens or not, but here's the question I asked on the other forums.

"So does this happen in (insert major city name)? If so, do residents respect this?"

And here's the type of answers I'm getting from the biggest city of them all

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...y-streets.html

THAT'S what I'm talking about.
Here is a link to your Chicago thread where everyone who has posted says it's respected in Chicago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...y-streets.html

Old 02-10-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Those seem like sensible rules. I honestly feel like it might not be a bad idea to codify something like that, as they did in Boston.
I agree. I think an ordiance for show emergencies would be a good idea.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
#1 amenity in the city: off-street parking. I might be able to go without a yard, but damn I need that parking space!

My general thought is on a public street saving is BS. The reality is in a tight-knit neighborhood there will be unwritten rules and courtesy. The conflict that comes in is when this is not home you're parking in front of in one of those tight-knight neighborhoods. You can't know the rules if you don't live there.

Beyond that, the other reason I think it's BS is how often are there actually unshoveled spots that don't still have a car in them? So there are either shoveled spots with no car, or uncleared spots with the covered cars still in them. How is that any different than any other day? On a non-weather day, you leave your spot, other spots are filled, and you have no claim to the spot (this is mostly agreed upon from what I've read), but just because it has snowed you now get claim to that spot even though the others are filled just like any other day? Seems a bit of a stretch, to have to pretend the whole street is full of cars just because it snowed.

I understand the work involved in shoveling, please, I shovel my own 50-ft driveway by hand (usually the full double-width, but not with the 20 inches ). That's a good 2 1/2 to 3 spaces worth, without the car there to cover part of it (although in return I don't have to clear the car off or worry about the car being stuck, a good trade). But the parking dynamic seems in general no different than when there's not snow. If there were a lot of uncleared empty spaces, that would be one thing. But on a typical residential street with few/no driveways/garages, I would think that would be a rarity. So on a street that's full of cars and cleared spaces you didn't shovel, where are you supposed to park?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Honey. I do live in the suburbs. I have a house with a driveway.
So you really have no place in this conversation! You live in the suburbs and have a driveway and you are this involved in a conversation about people who have to park on the street? You clearly don't know what you are talking about if you don't have to deal with this on a daily basis.

Quote:
But hnsq is only clearing spaces when he can't steal them from people who might not be capable.
I have helped a lot of people shovel out their cars in the last few days. How do you have anything meaningful to contribue to this discussion when you live in the suburbs with a driveway?

Hopes - I will reply to you when you move to the city and are dealing with this issue first hand. Until then everything you say is simply hypocritical.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Beyond that, the other reason I think it's BS is how often are there actually unshoveled spots that don't still have a car in them?
Quite often in my area (Regent Square). Some blocks get more overnight parkers than others, but overall there are still plenty of spots around with no cars that haven't been shoveled yet. And then there is the plow issue: a good number of spots that had cars during the storm but then were dug out got at least somewhat seriously blocked again due to plowing.

Quote:
But on a typical residential street with few/no driveways/garages, I would think that would be a rarity.
I think it is becoming clear in these conversations that there really isn't a single typical situation. Regent Square is largely residential with mostly single-family homes but some small apartment buildings. Some of the houses have usable garages on alleys and few have driveways, but some do not, and some of the garages are only single car. All that explains why we have a lot of street-parkers, but not so many that the streets are anywhere close to completely full at night.

So in a neighborhood like mine, it makes ample sense to require people to shovel out a new spot before parking long term. I could see it making less sense where parking is consistently scarce anyway.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you really have no place in this conversation! You live in the suburbs and have a driveway and you are this involved in a conversation about people who have to park on the street? You clearly don't know what you are talking about if you don't have to deal with this on a daily basis.
I do have a place in the conversation! Afterall, I am a person who doesn't steal parking places!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I have helped a lot of people shovel out their cars in the last few days. How do you have anything meaningful to contribue to this discussion when you live in the suburbs with a driveway?

Hopes - I will reply to you when you move to the city and are dealing with this issue first hand. Until then everything you say is simply hypocritical.
Just because I have a driveway in the suburbs doesn't mean I've never lived in the city.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
By the way, it seems to me you should definitely be allowed to park your car in a previously-shoveled space while you are shoveling out a new space.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
So on a street that's full of cars and cleared spaces you didn't shovel, where are you supposed to park?
Where you usually park! People tend to have a specific place they tend to park. When a there's a new homeowner on a street, these spots tend to shift around a bit to accomodate a new resident who has more cars in the household. But eventually everyone settles into their usual parking places. If it snows, everyone parks where they normally park. Nobody should park in a neighbor's normal parking place instead of shoveling out their own. Mind you, I'm referring to residential streets, not streets with stores and businesses, where visitors are fairly rare during big snow storms so the random stranger not knowing specific street etiquete isn't common.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
By the way, it seems to me you should definitely be allowed to park your car in a previously-shoveled space while you are shoveling out a new space.
Oh, definitely! As long as shoveling is happening, I could care less if they parked on my sidewalk! Totally agree!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
That's not what you were talking about when you started out. You clearly stated that it doesn't happen anywhere but Pittsburgh.
Remember what I said about practicing up on covering your tracks? Here is what I said....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday, 09:42 PM
scottrpriester

1,147 posts, read 631,267 times

A lot of discussion has come up about the placing of chairs or other objects to claim a spot on a street. I saw a story on WTAE about a car that got intentionally buried because someone took what someone else felt was their spot. How absoloutley ridiculous. This is such a great demonstration of an old world mentality that really needs to be destroyed. I see this all over our neighborhood while out running, and I am so close to walk up and down a certain street and grab the damn things and throw them. You don't own the street, your given municipality does.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, 08:05 AM
scottrpriester

1,147 posts, read 631,267 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26
No, private owners don't "own" the street, but I feel like some sort of exception has to be made in these cases of massive snowfall.

You don't just see it in winter, you see it in perfectly sunny and dry weather too. Like I told someone else in two other threads, I hope you don't ever move to any other metro area in the US or in the world.........people would laugh at that and probably do just want I want to do, pitch them as far as I am able to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh