Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 02:29 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,961 times

Advertisements

As someone who grew up in Pittsburgh in the '70's and '80's, I am nostalgic about that time in the city's history, also fascinated by its history well before my time. My parents who are both gone told me much about what it was like when they grew up, as did my maternal grandparents tell me something of their time. Our family has roots in Homewood, East Liberty, the Lower Hill, and the near South Hills. I hope this thread brings back memories for those of us who have our roots in Pittsburgh, and that it's of interest to those of you that have adopted Pittsburgh as your home.

Please post any videos, photos, and more importantly post any thoughts and/or recollections of your particular Old Pittsburgh. Talk about old time mayors, sports and show business celebrities, the characters that sold hot pretzels on the corner, favorite restaurants that are now gone. Tell us about your neighborhood(s), your schools, where your parents lived as kids, and just anything that you think is interesting. Thanks.

YouTube - Tour of Pittsburgh 1965
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 PM

Does anybody remember this little hole in the wall fast food place? Raywell's on the corner of Forbes and Wood, had the best kielbasa sandwiches, and for only about 40 cents.

Moderator cut: copyrighted photo removed

Last edited by Yac; 05-28-2012 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 03:49 PM

http://scaffoldsandstripedpants.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/hill-district-map1.jpg (broken link)

A nice shot of the Lower Hill before they tore it down for the Civic Arena.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 PM

YouTube - Pittsburgh

Old 02-19-2010, 05:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post

A nice shot of the Lower Hill before they tore it down for the Civic Arena.
That was a WAY long time ago, some time in the 50s, no?

Cool stuff, BTW.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:25 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,211 times
My parents, who are in now in their late 70s, both grew up in the East End and have told us kids many stories of what it used to be like. I cherish this information. My dad grew up in Garfield when it was a mostly Irish neighborhood. He always has talked about what East Liberty was like and how it had five "shows" (Movie Theaters) He talks about Larimer Avenue being a Little Italy back in the day. He said that East Liberty rivaled Downtown. He caddied as a teen at Stanton Heights Country Club, which was in the area above Stanton Avenue and off of Mossfield Street bordering Allegheny Cemetary for much of the way. Hundreds of houses were built there in the 1950s. He used to walk to Central Catholic every day in high school. Across from Central Catholic was Duquesne Gardens, which is where the Pittsburgh Hornets Hockey Team played. I could on and on just from my parents stories alone. Pittsburgh's PBS station WQED Channel 13 has had documentaries for may years on Pittsburgh. The host of these programs is Rick Sebak. One of the very first ones was made in the 1980s and was entitled "Things that aren't there anymore." You may be interested in these.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
My parents, who are in now in their late 70s, both grew up in the East End and have told us kids many stories of what it used to be like. I cherish this information. My dad grew up in Garfield when it was a mostly Irish neighborhood. He always has talked about what East Liberty was like and how it had five "shows" (Movie Theaters) He talks about Larimer Avenue being a Little Italy back in the day. He said that East Liberty rivaled Downtown. He caddied as a teen at Stanton Heights Country Club, which was in the area above Stanton Avenue and off of Mossfield Street bordering Allegheny Cemetary for much of the way. Hundreds of houses were built there in the 1950s. He used to walk to Central Catholic every day in high school. Across from Central Catholic was Duquesne Gardens, which is where the Pittsburgh Hornets Hockey Team played. I could on and on just from my parents stories alone. Pittsburgh's PBS station WQED Channel 13 has had documentaries for may years on Pittsburgh. The host of these programs is Rick Sebak. One of the very first ones was made in the 1980s and was entitled "Things that aren't there anymore." You may be interested in these.
I lived on Broad Street for a while when I was a kid, between Fairmont and Graham, in a neighborhood that they called Irish Hill. We went to St. Lawrence Church. My grandmother was from Larimer Avenue. Duquesne Gardens I'm told had some top notch boxing matches also. When I was a kid we played in an open field between Broad and Penn we called the cow field. Later they put an Eat 'n Park there. Thanks for your post. I always get homesick on Friday afternoons, remembering all the great Friday nights I had in Pittsburgh.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That was a WAY long time ago, some time in the 50s, no?

Cool stuff, BTW.
I'm pretty sure they built the Arena right around 1960. My father grew up in that neighborhood. The Lower Hill must have been something pretty great. I see that the Epihany Church is still there. That was the home of, started in the church cellar btw, of The Pittsburgh Lyceum, home of some of the best prize fighters in the history of the game. They had at one time, maybe in the '30's, five of the eight world champs fighting out of that gym!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
I'm pretty sure they built the Arena right around 1960. My father grew up in that neighborhood. The Lower Hill must have been something pretty great. I see that the Epihany Church is still there. That was the home of, started in the church cellar btw, of The Pittsburgh Lyceum, home of some of the best prize fighters in the history of the game. They had at one time, maybe in the '30's, five of the eight world champs fighting out of that gym!
The Civic Arena was completed in 1961.

Mellon Arena (formerly Civic Arena) - Pittsburgh, PA - Pittsburgh Penguins, Concerts, Basketball, Hockey

Old 02-19-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What's happening with the new Arena, and what are they going to do with the old one? Raze it, I guess. But what goes in that spot? Just parking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh