Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,493,480 times

Advertisements

The usual "apocalypse " bs...

Vegas will outlive us all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 01:54 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,738 times
Last time I was there they were building City Center. That was easily the biggest construction project I have ever seen in my life.

Not that it has any bearing on this discussion.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,647,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There will always be water wherever man needs water. We can dam, divert and build channels to bring it down to the sunbelt from the north. Now, it might not be CHEAP water but it will be there.
Where's the money to build those water projects going to come from?

Old 06-12-2010, 04:41 PM

30,120 posts, read 18,727,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Everyone better start stacking food and water.

The Death Of Las Vegas

Check.

Already got the guns, the ammo, the gold, the food, the water and the land. It is just a hedge for the worst case scenario situation.

I really do not think that anarchy will occur in the US- no one wants chaos. We are, however, in store for austerity measures and they will hurt everyone. The era of drunken out of control spending is approaching an end, as the US public is waking up to this fact and notes the National Debt as the number one problem facing America. Too bad our president is focused on Obamacare, gays in the military, cap and trade, and amnesty for illegals.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,647,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't agree. It is more about air conditioning than water. Before Mark Carrier gave us artificial cool air, living in the south or the southwest would have been very hard for most people. I could not imagine life in Phoenix or Miami without air conditioning.
The sunbelt will continue to grow because humans prefer to live in warmer climates. Most people, given the choice, want to live where the weather is warm all year.
The current recession knocked out the sunbelt just like the early '80s recession knocked out the rust belt. It just so happens that now environmental factors favor the rust belt, and it helps that the eastern rust belt cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Rochester are actually not doing that bad. Nor are Chicago and Milwaukee.

The sunbelt's probably reached peak population right now ; however, if you'd said "the American West" rather than "the sunbelt" you'd be closer to the truth. The Pacific Northwest has ample water and will continue to grow. So think Portland or Seattle rather than Vegas or Phoenix.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,724,609 times
People who read the link should be aware that it was written for a blog entitled "The Economic Collapse" and actively sells gold and silver to fearful people. It's similar to the Glen Beck fearmongering - convince people armageddon is afoot and pillage them for a lot of money. If the economy completes its recovery, will they change the name of the blog? They have a vested self-interest in selling a specific outcome, whether it is true or not.

That said - I agree that building Vegas in the desert was a monumental disaster of human ignorance and that the future of the upper Midwest lies in protecting its fresh water from being siphoned off by the megalopolis mistakes in the desert and building environmentally-friendly economies around that fresh water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies