Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:39 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

But the argument now seems to be that the industry cannot police itself.

It's not that thay "cannot." They can. The problem is that they WILL not, and that's much, much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It's not that thay "cannot." They can. The problem is that they WILL not, and that's much, much worse.
And we saw that with the banking industry who got the laws relaxed so they could "police themselves".

You gotta just love all these rules and regulations in place that no one seems to follow. Along with waivers and exemptions, why bother ?

Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGould View Post
It sounds like you are not for the people but for big BIG corporations.
That's what far right republicans are. Screw safety, who cares about the environment, to hell with the sea life, tax cuts to big business and only the wealthiest of americans,... Who cares about anything else? As long as it boosts the profit margins even higher and higher for big business/oil, nothing else matters to them. I wouldn't be surprised to see even more republicans bowing down to their master.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:42 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Rep. Barton apologizes to BP for Obama 'shakedown' - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts2660 - broken link)
ANOTHER sickie like that Anti-American Bachmann!

How the Repugs HATE this country and it's workers!

Siding with the British over Americans!

Siding with their God Corporation over Americans.....

Obliterating "responsibility" because it's their GOD that murdered 11 workers... these are HUMANS!

Nope, they're dog feces.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,191,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Rep. Barton apologizes to BP for Obama 'shakedown' - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts2660 - broken link)
What a friggin' brown-noser...

Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
That's what far right republicans are. Screw safety, who cares about the environment, to hell with the sea life, tax cuts to big business and only the welthiest of americans,... Who cares about anything else? As long as it boosts the profit margins even higher and higher for big business/oil, nothing else matters to them. I wouldn't be surprised to see even more republicans bowing down to their master.
And I'm surprised to see so many Democrats on the side of big business these days. They used to be all for social stuff..guess they got a taste of $$$ from the big business lobbyists.

Money and greed seems to be the root of every major disaster.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how or why the US government itself would be "responsible" here, in the financial sense.
Because the government made a deal with oil companies to take the liability for spills in exchange for pushing them further out into deep water..
Quote:
I doubt the government gave BP a specific license to allow a blowout of an oil well...
Thats just ridiculous.. The government revoked BP's permit to build the well in 500 feet deep water, and forced them into 5,000 feet deep water.. Again, knowing full well that the government would be liable for any damages..
Quote:
And it seems like a bizarre argument to make for a proponent of free markets.
Not many support the government being liable, but I do support the law, and that is the law... If you are going to force companies to be more dangerous, then have a plan beforehand on how to deal with potential disasters. Neither BP nor the government obviously has a plan.. THEY BOTH FAILED, and the government shouldnt be let off the hook..
Quote:
If we say that the US federal government is responsible for the errors of private oil companies, isn't that the same as saying we might as well nationalize all drilling operations in order to bring them under complete government oversight?
Ahh no.. Not the same.. The government regulates and allows the oil companies to drill.. They and they alone dictate the locations and the depths at which oil companies can drill. Oil companies would much prefer to drill on land or near the coastline because its cheaper.. Government wont allow them...

Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I thought Republicans don't apologize to foreign countries for US What happened? It this guy another RINO?
Who said?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I guess he would prefer to use taxpayer money to pay for the clean up.
Dont you ever get tired of repeating that same old line which has been proven wrong over, and over, and over again? Seriously.. Its like you cant learn FACTS and can only resort to the same old garbage..

Old 06-17-2010, 11:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Money and greed seems to be the root of every major disaster.
Might want to add booze to that list when thinking of the Exxon Valdiz

Obviously this Barton clown isnt thinking of the people directly affected by this oil disaster,seems he'd be happy if the payouts were tied up in the courts for the next 10 years,as for shakedown? the meeting seemed like an amicable agreement between the American gvmnt and BP.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:56 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,418 times
Quote:
The government revoked BP's permit to build the well in 500 feet deep water, and forced them into 5,000 feet deep water
I don't really understand that argument, either. If conditions were too risky at that depth, BP had a responsibility to refrain from drilling altogether. Once they commenced drilling operations, they gave an implicit assurance that they knew what they were doing.

For example, if the federal government tells me that I can't build a radio mast on a particular piece of land, but I can build it on several other areas, I'm still responsible if I choose to build it in a swamp, and it collapses. That's because no one "forced" me to build it in the first place; I chose to do so. And by doing so, I made an implicit assurance that I would build a sound structure. If I could not build a sound structure, I would have a responsibility not to put it up.

The argument here seems to be that deepwater drilling simply cannot be made safe at all. But is that actually true? Or did BP's faulty approach cause the incident in the first place?

It would be one thing if the US federal government had given BP a detailed drilling plan, and BP had followed it to the letter, and the well blew out. Going back to my radio mast example, it would be the same as if the government had both ordered me to build the structure, and then told me how to build it, and it fell down.

But that isn't what happened here. BP intentionally chose to drill a well that it could just as easily have never drilled. And it drilled on its own terms, in terms of the approach used.

I don't see how any of that would give rise to US government liability. Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies