Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress Funded Continued FEDERAL Unemployment Insurance for the LONG TERM Unemployed?
Yes, keep the checks coming until the economy goes back to normal 52 42.98%
Stop it at 99 weeks, no longer 26 21.49%
There should be no Federally Funded Unemployment Extensions 36 29.75%
There should be no unemployment insurance for anyone State or Federal (Work or Die!) 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 06:11 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Norcal, I thought the ONE thing we agreed upon was the CLEARLY you and I are NOT living in the same reality. Geez. Please go back and reread if you need to refresh your memory that is the ONE thing we agreed upon.

And your are cracking me up seriously, because YOU and so many others are the ones that are deceived by the propaganda that is spread by the left-wing media.
And at the end of the day we CANNOT tax our way out of this down turn in the economy. And this economy is only going to get worse because of people in your party and mind-sets like yours that have been drilled into you by the media. So sad.
I would ASSume that you haven't lost a job in this mess. You maybe singing a different tune if you were or perhaps some one close to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
People who do not have a job should accept ANY job to get off the gov't payroll.
I guess you haven't looked at the price of child care lately. If you work at Walmart you can't afford child care. What would you do with your kid(s)?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:18 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I would ASSume that you haven't lost a job in this mess. You maybe singing a different tune if you were or perhaps some one close to you.
I guess that's what you get for making wild-card assumptions about people you don't know anything about. You would be wrong. Surprised.

BTW just because people haven't experienced something doesn't mean they can't grasp the concept. Atleast discerning intelligent people.

I was in the aviation industry for years now I'm in health care. But the minute the writing was on the wall regarding my industry I headed back to school and found a job that is pretty marketable.

Besides I've had several close friends who are currently unemployed, and most AGREE with me and don't want a gov't hand out. They are conservatives and believe that the gov't isn't the answer to their problems.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I guess you haven't looked at the price of child care lately. If you work at Walmart you can't afford child care. What would you do with your kid(s)?
If Walmart is the highest goal you can attain then that should tell you the state of America today.

If you can't afford childcare and your only hope is Walmart..then it might be time to ask your family members for help..like move back in with them.

A job at Walmart won't pay the rent, put food on the table, pay your utilities never mind child care. Many Walmart worker's children are on medicaid.
And there are government subsidized day cares but you have to go find them.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If Walmart is the highest goal you can attain then that should tell you the state of America today.

If you can't afford childcare and your only hope is Walmart..then it might be time to ask your family members for help..like move back in with them.

A job at Walmart won't pay the rent, put food on the table, pay your utilities never mind child care. Many Walmart worker's children are on medicaid.
I have never worked at Walmart but you people are saying that they should take any job. I used Walmart as an example. If you are laid off from a job making $36 an hour and the only job you can find is Walmart you would be better off staying on UE because the pay is better.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:31 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

And there is something to be said regarding pride in work (regardless of how humble) and not living out of the envelope!

Old 06-26-2010, 06:33 PM

217 posts, read 554,319 times
The saddest part is how some people on this board/and in the real world are way out of touch. They have now categorized people who have been laid off with welfare recipients and crack heads. Ive told my story here a couple times. I have 2 college educated friends who have liquidated all assets and finished their 99 weeks and still no job. First time they have ever lost any job. Yet to some on this board they would be seen as lazy drug addicted fools. Your mistaken if you think its EASY to find a job. I love when some fools here say they KNOW many people who are milking the system. The huge majority isnt milking anything. 10 out of 100 people have no job....This isnt some plan hatched by 10% of folks to 'milk the system'.

Stop being misinformed...Unemployment INSURANCE aint welfare.

Ask my 2 buddies who were making 1/3 of their usual salary on Unemployment how fun it was living it up. Now thats even gone.....

Old 06-26-2010, 06:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
And there is something to be said regarding pride in work (regardless of how humble) and not living out of the envelope!
I was replying to the poster who talked about child care costs while working at Walmart. Child care costs would be more than a Walmart salary alone so what would be the point of even working at Walmart ??

Old 06-26-2010, 06:40 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
People here who are saying that the unemployed should just get a job at Walmart, McDonalds or a gas station don't understand that those places simply won't hire a person who is laid off from a better paying job. Why? Because they know that person will quit as soon as they get called back or find something better.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:40 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
The saddest part is how some people on this board/and in the real world are way out of touch. They have now categorized people who have been laid off with welfare recipients and crack heads. Ive told my story here a couple times. I have 2 college educated friends who have liquidated all assets and finished their 99 weeks and still no job. First time they have ever lost any job. Yet to some on this board they would be seen as lazy drug addicted fools. Your mistaken if you think its EASY to find a job. I love when some fools here say they KNOW many people who are milking the system. The huge majority isnt milking anything. 10 out of 100 people have no job....This isnt some plan hatched by 10% of folks to 'milk the system'.

Stop being misinformed...Unemployment INSURANCE aint welfare.

Ask my 2 buddies who were making 1/3 of their usual salary on Unemployment how fun it was living it up. Now thats even gone.....
I made a friend here on CD that moved from Florida a month ago. He was willing to take ANY job. He got a job on the FIRST day he was here!! This is in Las Vegas with an unemployment rate of 14.1%. He is a bagger at a grocery store making the minimum wage of $7.55 an hour. It was a step down from his former job. Would your friends be willing to take a job like that? I highly doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies