Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:28 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times

Advertisements

This has always crossed my mind. I have had some friends who never went to college. They work minimum wage jobs like at Mcdonalds or at a grocery store. They often times complain and gripe about their job and about how they aren't making enough money and in my mind I think "well then you should have gone to college and you might be a lot hapier" It just bugs me and then I've had people in those jobs who have told me that college can't be anywhere near as hard as working at a grocery store, mcdonals, etc. it just really grinds my gears when people complain about their minimum wage jobs when they had the choice to go to college and try to make the best of life. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way or not. I am not talking about people who do construction, or work in mines, or dangerous jobs like that. I am talking about the people that work these so called "hard" jobs at fast food chains, stores, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:43 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
This has always crossed my mind. I have had some friends who never went to college. They work minimum wage jobs like at Mcdonalds or at a grocery store. They often times complain and gripe about their job and about how they aren't making enough money and in my mind I think "well then you should have gone to college and you might be a lot hapier" It just bugs me and then I've had people in those jobs who have told me that college can't be anywhere near as hard as working at a grocery store, mcdonals, etc. it just really grinds my gears when people complain about their minimum wage jobs when they had the choice to go to college and try to make the best of life. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way or not. I am not talking about people who do construction, or work in mines, or dangerous jobs like that. I am talking about the people that work these so called "hard" jobs at fast food chains, stores, etc.
Let me straighten you up on a few things. Many people do not have the academic aptitude to go to college. And you are in luck because I am one such person. I just lectured someone yesterday concerning his going to college. I told the person that he could do so much more with his academic abilities. I said to him that he never had any trouble scholastically going to college whereas I never could have dreamed to do much beyond high school.

I was lecturing him because I'm the guy who seems to have a measure of determination and willpower, not him. But yet I wasn't the one who had a chance at a college education.

If you want to take your analysis a bit more, you could say that these days us non-college guys have fewer chances at things like auto or steel manufacturing. We can't even get jobs for $11 an hour as landscapers because illegal immigrants are doing those jobs for $7.50. Hence, many of us are working at McDonalds for $8. But the answer was not, and never could be college.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times
The illegal immigration thing is true to an extent. If you don't want to go to college fine, just stop complaining about not having enough money, when you(I mean everyone in general) had the chance to change your life. College takes work, true, but even the most unmotivated people can make it through. I've seen it before. When you begin college, just think how wonderful it will be when your out and that's motivation enough.

My ex friend was griping about how hard her job at the store was as a seafood clerk and then gets on my case when I tell her how stressed I am from college. She said "Pfft college can not be as stressful as working as a seafood clerk" I'm sorry, a seafood clerk is hard? If that's hard, then I doubt they could actually handle a real career.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:07 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
I know a few local grads who can't get a job. I know "real career" people who kill themselves, and I know people who got through school, never went to college, and they are some of the happiest individuals that I have ever met. Life can kick humans in the slats any time it wants to, and it will ignore the fancy office, and 3 piece suits.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:10 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,706 times
I never went , I work for myself , I make plenty .
I often meet many stupid college graduates , often I think its a scam .

Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
you can still get stuck at a mcjob these days even if you have a degree. It's the new world order.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:15 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
I think the OP offers a false choice. It's not go to college or work at McDonalds. There are plenty of high school grads who own businesses took up lucrative trades or simply got jobs in which they can support themselves well and worked up the ladder.

You can do just fine without a college degree.

What bothers me, however, are comments like GalileoSmith's. A well written, well thought out argument... Reading and writing comprehension are the number 1 skills that make for a successful college career... His writing belies his academic ability.. You certainly are college material, GalileoSmith and I don't know why you believe you're not.

There are certainly people who are not academically able to cope with college. However, I believe, there are a certain segment who demonize college and believe that blue collar work is somehow more real or legitimate. I reject this argument completely. I am a college graduate who owns a business that provides a necessary, and in-demand service for companies, organizations and government agencies. I learned the skills needed for the business in college. I work my ass off, travel 280 days per year and make a good living. My work isn't less legitimate than a guy who digs a ditch because I went to college.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:16 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
People who did not go to college make good Tea Party members Well, I have a degree in Economics and studying Economics had a significant impact on who I am today, and it also helped me develop my analytical skills, I would say my degree is worth millions of dollars and I definitely recommend going to college, education is a powerful thing!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:16 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Wow your going to have a big suprise whem Mommy and Daddy quit paying for your college and you have to get to work, hey but that "sheepskin" on your wall might get you a gig as a Manager at Mickey D's

Old 06-27-2010, 10:18 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Maybe they would rather HANDLE processed food than BE processed food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies