Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Word, but then again you don't have to start your life with huge amounts of debt. The number one goal of college today is to get the student in debt, and having them spend the rest of their life being a slave to that debt. The cost of college in this country is immoral, the fact that they allow so many get in debt, especially now days with there being no jobs basically. You have American kids spending thousands or taking thousands in debt, while they give jobs to Chinese and Indians on H1B visas.
Sorry, but I just don't buy this. There are plenty of ways to graduate college with little to no debt and plenty of colleges that are very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:25 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
On average, a person with a college degree makes more money than those without. But a degree does not "make the person". It simply opens doors...
This.

Statistically you'll make a lot more with a college degree, and with a 2 year degree over just high school. There are a million exceptions of person with degree in communications working at Foot Locker versus no degree making $27/hour as skilled union welder, but generally speaking college degree is a better position to be in.

That doesn't mean people with the degree are smarter or the people without are dumber, but it's a factor in your success that cannot be ignored.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:34 PM

615 posts, read 545,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Sorry, but I just don't buy this. There are plenty of ways to graduate college with little to no debt and plenty of colleges that are very reasonable.
Sure, there are ways to get around the high price of college, but most college students are 18 years old when they start, and they don't think things through when making choices. I just don't think college today is what it once was. We as a country don't create enough high end jobs to keep up with the amount of college graduates. That is why I think it is immoral for colleges and society to not warn kids about the possibility they will not have a job waiting for them when they come out of college, and they will most likely be saddled with a good amount of debt.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:35 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,178,776 times
Where are people getting this "doesn't mean they are smarter" thing? That's not what I was saying. I simply said, I despise people who complain about their minimum wage job when they could have changed it by getting an education.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
If education was cheaper, it would be available to more people. Who wants to go into debt just to get an education or a home?

That's the same reason that some people are content to NEVER own a home, because it brings with it a mortgage and debt. The only reason I got MY education is because of the military--and I was able to save the remainder. I can't afford to go into debt--moiney I haven't earned. Don't own any credit cards either.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:33 PM

57 posts, read 81,139 times
I know people that make over $100000 a year without needing a degree.
Me.
The majority of friends I have that are in mid to upper level management do pretty well day to day, but get pretty beat down by that office environment. No thanks.
I have a degree in general studies, had to get that just to check the box while in the military. Never relied on it other than that.
College can be overrated in my view, as long as you're not scared to work.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:34 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Where are people getting this "doesn't mean they are smarter" thing? That's not what I was saying. I simply said, I despise people who complain about their minimum wage job when they could have changed it by getting an education.
What about the people who DID get a college education--and are still working at McDonald's because they couldn't find any work in their field? Maybe they put themselves out there, but weren't in the top 10% or whatever, so they weren't able to be competitive?

Or maybe it's true that getting a job is more about WHO you know than about WHAT you know.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:41 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,304,236 times
Honestly, nowadays getting into a high paying job does mean you merely have to network moreso than anything. I went to college for a couple years, didn't get my bachelor's. But one of the companies I applied to, one of the HR women was someone I knew from school by meeting her a few times, and she saw me on Linkedin. It's always gonna be a crapshoot. The degree can help, but don't take it as a guarantee of a career.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:52 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,797,311 times
Statistics prove today that higher levels of education do in general lead to higher salaries. As we continue to see the costs of higher education skyrocket, and the jobs move to other countries in many fields however, this dynamic may change in the coming decades.

Younger adults starting their careers may in fact be better served learning a professional trade, for job security and a decent living. Especially if they would have to saddle themselves with tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to get that degree.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:02 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Statistics prove today that higher levels of education do in general lead to higher salaries. As we continue to see the costs of higher education skyrocket, and the jobs move to other countries in many fields however, this dynamic may change in the coming decades.

Younger adults starting their careers may in fact be better served learning a professional trade, for job security and a decent living. Especially if they would have to saddle themselves with tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to get that degree.
So far, no one has introduced the option of self-education, so I will.

Problems with certification?

Form over substance, again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies