Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 07:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Let me straighten you up on a few things. Many people do not have the academic aptitude to go to college.

If you want to take your analysis a bit more, you could say that these days us non-college guys have fewer chances at things like auto or steel manufacturing. We can't even get jobs for $11 an hour as landscapers because illegal immigrants are doing those jobs for $7.50. Hence, many of us are working at McDonalds for $8. But the answer was not, and never could be college.
Agreed. With that said, I have met and know/n a lot of people who did not go to college but are very intelligent and wise. Going to college does not necessarily make a person intelligent nor wise. Or for that matter, employable. Regarding the statement "many people do not have the academic aptitude to go to college," I'd go a step further and state that when I was in college I wished some people in college recognized this because they were obviously wasting time and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
This has always crossed my mind. I have had some friends who never went to college. They work minimum wage jobs like at Mcdonalds or at a grocery store. They often times complain and gripe about their job and about how they aren't making enough money and in my mind I think "well then you should have gone to college and you might be a lot hapier" It just bugs me and then I've had people in those jobs who have told me that college can't be anywhere near as hard as working at a grocery store, mcdonals, etc. it just really grinds my gears when people complain about their minimum wage jobs when they had the choice to go to college and try to make the best of life. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way or not. I am not talking about people who do construction, or work in mines, or dangerous jobs like that. I am talking about the people that work these so called "hard" jobs at fast food chains, stores, etc.
I have several friends that never went to college, and several that did. None of them work at McD's, sack groceries, or anything like that. Two buddies own their own businesses, making six figures a year. One makes around $30 an hour, one is an electrician making around $35 an hour, and so on. It has more to do with ambition rather than education level...

Old 06-27-2010, 07:48 PM

814 posts, read 670,492 times
I don't want to come across as someone who says college isn't important. I think college is a form of mental exercise that can also bring you a little taste of what's out there.

I can see how pay grade would be higher for the college educated, it takes some ambition to go through college.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed. With that said, I have met and know/n a lot of people who did not go to college but are very intelligent and wise. Going to college does not necessarily make a person intelligent nor wise. Or for that matter, employable. Regarding the statement "many people do not have the academic aptitude to go to college," I'd go a step further and state that when I was in college I wished some people in college recognized this because they were obviously wasting time and money.
But not theirs...so for them college was one big party.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:07 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,274 times
I know many college grads who seem incredibly intelligent and well suited for many great lines of work. I also know some college grads who seem dangerously xenophopbic and stupid as fuc*.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:18 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
IF you just barely squeak by in college, you shouldn't get that degree. I've known way too many D students that barely passed on technicalities and still got to walk. I know it don't matter one way or another so long as you pass, but it's just the principle that always bugged me.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I have several friends that never went to college, and several that did. None of them work at McD's, sack groceries, or anything like that. Two buddies own their own businesses, making six figures a year. One makes around $30 an hour, one is an electrician making around $35 an hour, and so on. It has more to do with ambition rather than education level...

It is all how you were raised and who you know.

That is what it all boils down to.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
IF you just barely squeak by in college, you shouldn't get that degree. I've known way too many D students that barely passed on technicalities and still got to walk. I know it don't matter one way or another so long as you pass, but it's just the principle that always bugged me.
Well, Woody Allen said that, 80% of life is just showing up.

S'all ya gotta do.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post

What if your accountant was wrong 30% of the time?

What if your doctor was wrong 30% of the time?

What if the guy you just hired was wrong 30% of the time?

Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Again, we appear to be confusing the exceptions for the rule.

On average a college graduate will earn over a million dollars more over his/her life time than someone who didn't graduate college. There is a correlation. Saying they have nothing to do with each other simply isn't true.

Yes, there are loads of exceptions on every side...

It's frustrating when so many use "I knew a guy..." as evidence ignoring actual aggregate statistics.
There are a lot of exceptions to the rule where I work at, then. For example, there isn't any local demand for the following degrees: music, history, and the arts in general. But there is a demand for engineers, and for skill labor. Not only that, but upon graduation most students owe a fortune. It means years of working just to payback their loans.

There are two ways to earn money: school, or work. It's as simple as that. The ones who don't work for it, or just spend it unwisely, end-up not having a lot of money regardless if they have a college degree or not.

Then I know some gold miners in Alaska who don't have college degrees, but have made their fortunes. Now, they do work very hard at it since it can only be done during the summer. Work starts around 8:00AM, and ends past 10:00PM, seven days per week. One of my coworkers is a self-made millionaire, and just last month finished a degree related to HVAC. As long as I remember, he has worked around 60 hours per week at his job at work, and then plays the trombone for a small music band, or just teaches music at his home. He probably sleeps around 6 hours per night, and works all week. My two older brothers have done the same, except that their business is real state in Florida, and the Caribbean islands. They don't have college degrees, just a lot of money, and are business-wise and thrifty. My older brother has always told me: "make some money, and use this money to make money. The more you make, the more you can make." When I was a teenager I asked this brother if I could drive his Volvo car on a date I had, and his answer was, "I will let you use my car one time. Save some money and drive your own car the next time." I remember his advise to this day

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-27-2010 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies