Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 04:46 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Many college grads cannot find jobs in their chosen fields. They wind up with low wage jobs.

Secondly, many college grads expect to jump right into a top level job in their field, with no experience whatsoever! When no one will hire them, they go to work for McDonald's.

I think there is a lot more to this that you are overlooking. Try again.
Why the negativity towards college and college grads?

Yes, many college grads cannot find jobs in their chose fields. Most can. And much higher percentage of high school diploma (only) holders and high school drop outs are working in low wage jobs than college grads. Sure life is a crap shoot, but why not set yourself up for success to the degree possible?

Your second point is baloney. It's seems like a general repeat of the media mantra about the current generation of young people. In my role as a corporate technical trainer I meet lots of young programmers-- just out of college. None of them expect to be the boss until they get experience. They know how green they are, and how much they have to learn.

I think you'd be surprised how few college grads are working fast food jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 04:50 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
People on here are rude. You all are attacking my writing? That's real mature! I just started college so give me a break.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:50 PM

268 posts, read 454,085 times
I dropped out in the 11th grade in favor of getting one of those McDonald's jobs. As it turns out, I learned a great deal about work ethic and I now make a satisfying living in the oil and gas industry. Am I rich? No, but I'm not poor either. I know a few grads who work at the Wal-Mart near my house, as well as a few who work for the same company as myself. I supervise 3 of them.

Anybody with the will and determination can live a satisfying life, college or no college. It's all dependent on the individual.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I will say this: You write better than the OP.
Who cares? Honestly?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post

Anybody with the will and determination can live a satisfying life, college or no college. It's all dependent on the individual.
Why do these so called "happy" people working those jobs complain about them so much? They are nowhere near as hard as an actual job you get with a degree.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:57 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
People on here are rude. You all are attacking my writing? That's real mature! I just started college so give me a break.
Quote:
Why do these so called "happy" people working those jobs complain about them so much? They are nowhere near as hard as an actual job you get with a degree.
You would know anything about this how?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Well you don't need a degree to work at fricken McDonalds. It's not like you need a Communications degree to ask "You want fries with that?" There's a reason certain jobs require a degree. It is because those jobs require more knowledge than a regular minimum wage job does.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:07 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I think people who choose not to go to college are mostly ignorant and lazy, when I was getting my undergrad, so many of my fellow students were people who had just moved to this country, still going through the cultural shock, some struggled with the English language yet, they worked hard and never gave up. Yet, I hear some American born idiots say things like "college is not for me" or "I can't afford it". Our country is full of pathetic losers.

Ok I'm going to try and be nice here.

This has to be one of the most insane posts I've read in a long time! So because someone CHOOSES not to go to college they're either ignorant or lazy? Let me tell you something,I never went to college and worked construction for 5 years after graduating. Started my own business at 22 and worked my a$$ off the last 24 years! Even in this down market where most in construction are either unemployed or barely working we're still working 6 days a week! Why,because I'm not LAZY and I know how to run a successful and profitable business.

Yeah I was one of them "Idiots" who said "College is not for me" because it isn't,and I could've went for free! I love how when people like yourself think that because they went to college they're so much better than the rest of us...lmao

At 46 I'm semi-retired and if I really wanted to could give it up tomorrow but I actually like what I'm doing and like and care about my employees.But the best part about being self employed is when I go on an estimate and get a pompous *** like yourself, is watching you hand over you money to this "Ignorant Lazy" person who didn't go to college!

Old 06-27-2010, 05:08 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Well you don't need a degree to work at fricken McDonalds. It's not like you need a Communications degree to ask "You want fries with that?" There's a reason certain jobs require a degree. It is because those jobs require more knowledge than a regular minimum wage job does.
You are all over the place. Who said anything about McDonalds?

Are you saying this knowledge can only be attained by attending college?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:12 PM

268 posts, read 454,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Ok I'm going to try and be nice here.

This has to be one of the most insane posts I've read in a long time! So because someone CHOOSES not to go to college they're either ignorant or lazy? Let me tell you something,I never went to college and worked construction for 5 years after graduating. Started my own business at 22 and worked my a$$ off the last 24 years! Even in this down market where most in construction are either unemployed or barely working we're still working 6 days a week! Why,because I'm not LAZY and I know how to run a successful and profitable business.

Yeah I was one of them "Idiots" who said "College is not for me" because it isn't,and I could've went for free! I love how when people like yourself think that because they went to college they're so much better than the rest of us...lmao

At 46 I'm semi-retired and if I really wanted to could give it up tomorrow but I actually like what I'm doing and like and care about my employees.But the best part about being self employed is when I go on an estimate and get a pompous *** like yourself, is watching you hand over you money to this "Ignorant Lazy" person who didn't go to college!
Well said.

In case anybody is interested, my boss, the owner, is 1/4 of a credit short for his high school. His business profits well over 1 million dollars annually.

If college is for you, great! More power to you. But plenty of us get along just fine without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies