Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 07:41 PM

406 posts, read 495,812 times

Advertisements

I have a degree in Human Resource Management and Economics. I don't use them and have never used them. I was a golf pro for 5 years and now I own a decorative concrete company. College didn't hurt me but my degrees aren't that usefull. I am one of the most well educated contractors around, which again does no good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambini View Post
I have a degree in Human Resource Management and Economics. I don't use them and have never used them. I was a golf pro for 5 years and now I own a decorative concrete company. College didn't hurt me but my degrees aren't that usefull. I am one of the most well educated contractors around, which again does no good!
A college degree or not makes no difference to a hard-working person who is wise with his money. Of course, for one to be wise with his or her money one can't forget that "time is gold"

Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM

57 posts, read 81,111 times
I always laugh at college grads and their sense of entitlement.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:03 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
This has always crossed my mind. I have had some friends who never went to college. They work minimum wage jobs like at Mcdonalds or at a grocery store. They often times complain and gripe about their job and about how they aren't making enough money and in my mind I think "well then you should have gone to college and you might be a lot hapier" It just bugs me and then I've had people in those jobs who have told me that college can't be anywhere near as hard as working at a grocery store, mcdonals, etc. it just really grinds my gears when people complain about their minimum wage jobs when they had the choice to go to college and try to make the best of life. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way or not. I am not talking about people who do construction, or work in mines, or dangerous jobs like that. I am talking about the people that work these so called "hard" jobs at fast food chains, stores, etc.
Boy is this simple. Nothing is so black and white. Do you think of all the people working behind a cash register, none of them went to college? And do you think everyone who goes to college gets a great job? I personally know people with advanced engineering degrees who are delivering pizzas (something I'm sure you'd look down on) because they can't find a job, and it's better than unemployment.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Ihave a degree but i have several firends that are about the same age who in fact are more successful income wsie than i am. i am goigto the anniversary of one on Saturday. He got out fo high schol; went to work at a local car dealer in the bodyshop. H esaved in his own works seeig that woirking for somone else in that field wasn't goig to get him anyhwere really. he bought a filling staion and satrted doing body wrok out fo teh two satll agrage makig his won paint booth. He then built a body shop behind the fillig sation. He then built a car wash across the street. He then converted the filling staion to a qucik stop gas and grocery. He built two more car washes. He then sold the quick sghop;the body shop and car wash across the street after 20 years. he built another body shop specailizing in curtoms cars and built another car washin next to it. He now leases the body shop and is semi-retired withteh car washes.He recently bought 100 ages in the hill country north a oif san antionio and is building a second home since his son runs more of his business holdings now days. He has never failed to make money and is not stuipd by any means;he just didn't go to college .

Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
[quote=RayinAK;14909436]I will give you a simple number: the average first-year teacher makes around $35.00 per year (has a college degree). The average first-year firefighter starts at $64K, degree or not, and there is a higher demand for firefighters than there's for teachers.

I think a fire fighter faces more danger on the job than a teacher. Not to mention the physical strength and endurance required.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
I know those that have a Masters Degree, and still lost a job, i know quite a few who couldn't cut making the passing grades, but own their own businesses, and doing quite well inspite of this bad economy. I know so many very smart people, that do not have common sense or knowledge to me on so many subjects, i know those that have not gone to college, do not have a college education, but can talk to anyone who does have that college degree. I think it depends on the degree that you have, and what you have done with this degree. I know many People who will say yes to this question, i just happen to know quite a few without a college degree, and have done very well for themselves with their own businesses, owning yacts, 3 or more homes, vacation homes, the fanciest cars, and making good money. None of this means a thing, it is how you manage the money that you have, and if you are truly happy. A degree and money, does not buy happiness. Even in a failed economy, having a degree, does not guarantee you keep your job. For the sake of the question i should say yes, My Kids have Master's but i still believe that you can have the smarts without that degree, and do very well, depending on what you choose to do for a living. I happen to know 3 Men that have done very well without a degree, and those that have done well with a degree, so i am stuck on this question truly.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:01 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Some people just know how to be self-taught.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:47 PM

406 posts, read 495,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A college degree or not makes no difference to a hard-working person who is wise with his money. Of course, for one to be wise with his or her money one can't forget that "time is gold"

Very well put. I couldn't agree more.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:06 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
the numbers don't lie. on average, people who have a college degree, make more money than those without....
the "piece of paper" doesn't necessarily make a person smarter.
but it does open doors that are closed to people who do not have college degrees.

Sometimes yes but sometimes no. My husband worked extremely hard to get his education and license and the amount of schooling/training he received is equivalent to a college education. Luckily for us he has a skill that is very much needed which has kept him employed, that is not the case with a lot of people with a college degree right now.

This country wasn't built on college degrees, it was built on hard, honest work. That is the only thing that is going to restore our economy and our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies