Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 05:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

1. People who are unmotivated and lazy will fail whether they go to college or not
2. People who are hard working and are willing to take some risk will probably do well whether they go to college or not
3. If you are planning on a profession- you need college
4. If you are planning on being employed (rather than self employed) you probably need to go to college to make a liveable income
5. Going to college and getting a worthless degree, like sociology, psychology, literature, dance, or art will probabaly be a huge waste of money unless you are one of they very fortunate few that are able to go on, get a PhD, and teach in these areas.

In most instances, hard work trumps education. Lazy people fail regardless of how educated they are.
Agreed. As much as I wish I could run my own business, I have no idea what kind of business I could run or what I could offer with my skillset that would be valuable enough to make a living that is equal to or better than the living that I make working for someone else. Some of us are entrepreneurs and some of us are worker bees. Nothing wrong with that, but the worker bees usually have to have that sheepskin. Sucks but that's how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed. With that said, I have met and know/n a lot of people who did not go to college but are very intelligent and wise. Going to college does not necessarily make a person intelligent nor wise. Or for that matter, employable. Regarding the statement "many people do not have the academic aptitude to go to college," I'd go a step further and state that when I was in college I wished some people in college recognized this because they were obviously wasting time and money.
I agree with this too. A lot of people waste their time in college, particularly when they spend 5-6 years there and are still years away from their bachelor's degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times
Don't worry everyone. There is always the possibility of intelligence after college. Not likely, but it's possible.

That said.

College was a real possibility for me, I decided not to go. When I graduated high school, I had already graduated from a local vocational school, and was working full time as an auto tech. I have yet to meet any college student who was making $20.00+/hour at 17. I knew my trade, did well and excelled. I have since left, and now have my own business, that I got into at age 20. Again, I don't know many 20 year old college students who make 6 figures a year, do you? That's why I passed on college, that and I was tired of school. IB programs, AP, etc will wear on you, especially coupled with a vocational program.

I would say more 'kids' pass on college because they are tired of school, rather than because they can't make it. There is almost NO reason a student can't attend college, with all the grants and scholarships available.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 AM

364 posts, read 496,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
This has always crossed my mind. I have had some friends who never went to college. They work minimum wage jobs like at Mcdonalds or at a grocery store. They often times complain and gripe about their job and about how they aren't making enough money and in my mind I think "well then you should have gone to college and you might be a lot hapier" It just bugs me and then I've had people in those jobs who have told me that college can't be anywhere near as hard as working at a grocery store, mcdonals, etc. it just really grinds my gears when people complain about their minimum wage jobs when they had the choice to go to college and try to make the best of life. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way or not. I am not talking about people who do construction, or work in mines, or dangerous jobs like that. I am talking about the people that work these so called "hard" jobs at fast food chains, stores, etc.
If you just started college, then I assume many of your friends are relatively young as well. There is still time for them to make that choice or to choose a vocation.

Many college grads do not work in their filed of study. Are you mostly talking about people you know and are worried their life will be harder without a degree?

Lots of people complain about all sorts of jobs. From minimum wage to executive.

There are some really good paying jobs out there for people in apprenticeships or trade schools. Electricians, linemen, plumbers, operators for utility companies, HVAC, mechanics and all sorts of other fields.

Even UPS pays full-time drivers around 80K with no need for a degree. You might be surprised at how many are college-educated though.

College is not harder than work generally, IMO. College was fun for me. It isn't for everybody. I wouldn't recommend college for everyone because some don't have the aptitude or, more importantly, the attitude to succeed in that environment.

Is this post mostly generated from concern for your friends or about complaining in general?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
This has always crossed my mind. I have had some friends who never went to college. They work minimum wage jobs like at Mcdonalds or at a grocery store. They often times complain and gripe about their job and about how they aren't making enough money and in my mind I think "well then you should have gone to college and you might be a lot hapier" It just bugs me and then I've had people in those jobs who have told me that college can't be anywhere near as hard as working at a grocery store, mcdonals, etc. it just really grinds my gears when people complain about their minimum wage jobs when they had the choice to go to college and try to make the best of life. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way or not. I am not talking about people who do construction, or work in mines, or dangerous jobs like that. I am talking about the people that work these so called "hard" jobs at fast food chains, stores, etc.
I don't care what kind of job someone wants to do - and I think all jobs should be about supply and demand within the American people.

If there's a shortage of cashiers, then the wages for cashiers should go up. If there's a shortage of garbage collectors, then their wages should go up. When wage go up for any kind of job, then more people will consider that kind of work - college degree or no college degree and balance is achieved.

I don't believe in the corporations and elites bringing in countless numbers of illegals to take any Americans' jobs. They are allowed to disrupt the supply and demand way of wage adjustment by making the supply unlimited.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
College is not harder than work generally, IMO. College was fun for me. It isn't for everybody. I wouldn't recommend college for everyone because some don't have the aptitude or, more importantly, the attitude to succeed in that environment.
It was for me too. College is fun, taking classes is fun. I see college as a way to get a job that might be more interesting to you - but it doesn't make you better than someone who did the trade school route or who prefers or has the aptitude and ability for a job that doesn't require a college degree.

Again it should be about supply and demand. The reason jobs that require college generally pay more is because of supply and demand - but if too many people have degrees for a field, that will lower the demand - and wages. There's no reason for the same rules not to apply as for anyone else.

If a construction worker doing dangerous work in the hot sun gets paid more than an accountant pushing a pencil or whose most dangerous tool is their keyboard and mouse - that's fair enough.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,682,794 times
Never went to college myself. Wish I did. But yet I make 100k + per year. If i went to college id probably be doing something else making less money. I guess college is not for everyone and if you dont go that doesent make you stupid. But I would advise all kids try to go to college.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Agreed. As much as I wish I could run my own business, I have no idea what kind of business I could run or what I could offer with my skillset that would be valuable enough to make a living that is equal to or better than the living that I make working for someone else. Some of us are entrepreneurs and some of us are worker bees. Nothing wrong with that, but the worker bees usually have to have that sheepskin. Sucks but that's how it is.

I agree with this too. A lot of people waste their time in college, particularly when they spend 5-6 years there and are still years away from their bachelor's degree.
It took me nearly 6 years to get my first Bachelors degree... I was going to school part time and working full time. Personally, I think it's the smart thing to do because it let me focus on my classes a little more (only 2 or so a semester) and gain work experience at the same time. I definitely don't consider my time spent at college a 'waste'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Don't worry everyone. There is always the possibility of intelligence after college. Not likely, but it's possible.

That said.

College was a real possibility for me, I decided not to go. When I graduated high school, I had already graduated from a local vocational school, and was working full time as an auto tech. I have yet to meet any college student who was making $20.00+/hour at 17. I knew my trade, did well and excelled. I have since left, and now have my own business, that I got into at age 20. Again, I don't know many 20 year old college students who make 6 figures a year, do you? That's why I passed on college, that and I was tired of school. IB programs, AP, etc will wear on you, especially coupled with a vocational program.

I would say more 'kids' pass on college because they are tired of school, rather than because they can't make it. There is almost NO reason a student can't attend college, with all the grants and scholarships available.
I was making more than 20/hr when I was 17, but I was a weird case.

My Father is also an auto mechanic and makes 120k a year...so it's not bad for a guy who didn't get his GED until he was in his mid 20s.

I totally agree about the 'tired of school' thing. I was so burned out by the end of High School that I was considering skipping college altogether. Luckily, I devised a plan that involved a mix of community college classes, university classes and part time attendance and made it happen. I think that potential college students should be told that there are alternatives to going to school full time and burning yourself out in college.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
$50-$1000 an hour. It is up to you to set your own destiny here in the USA, for a little while longer.
College, or not.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:40 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,967 times
I personally don't think college is the end all to beat all. I will use my husband for an example...he is a licensed electrician. In Arkansas in order to become an electrician you are required to go to school 2 nights a week (usually 4 hrs a night) for 4 years (they are required to do homework and testing). Along with this you are required to have on the job training of 2000 hrs for 4 years. After than he then must pass an examination. Once you recieve your license you are then required to take continuing education courses in order to keep your license.

As far as I can tell the only difference in his education and someone that goes to "college" is a piece of paper.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:50 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I personally don't think college is the end all to beat all. I use my husband for an example...he is a licensed electrician. In Arkansas in order to become an electrician you are required to go to school 2 nights a week (usually 4 hrs a night) for 4 years (they are required to do homework and testing). Along with this you are required to have on the job training of 2000 hrs for 4 years. After than he then must pass an examination. Once you recieve your license you are then required to take continuing education courses in order to keep your license.

As far as I can tell the only difference in his education and someone that goes to "college" is a piece of paper.
the numbers don't lie. on average, people who have a college degree, make more money than those without....
the "piece of paper" doesn't necessarily make a person smarter.
but it does open doors that are closed to people who do not have college degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies