Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
The illegal immigration thing is true to an extent. If you don't want to go to college fine, just stop complaining about not having enough money, when you(I mean everyone in general) had the chance to change your life. College takes work, true, but even the most unmotivated people can make it through. I've seen it before. When you begin college, just think how wonderful it will be when your out and that's motivation enough.

My ex friend was griping about how hard her job at the store was as a seafood clerk and then gets on my case when I tell her how stressed I am from college. She said "Pfft college can not be as stressful as working as a seafood clerk" I'm sorry, a seafood clerk is hard? If that's hard, then I doubt they could actually handle a real career.
Well aren't we arrogant. Yes, the fish job is more physically demanding. I can't do any of the jobs you've listed, even though they're considered "easy" by your standards, yet I could definitely whip your ass in math and abstract thinking. That's where I shine. I've worked in fast food before and it was more stressful than any college class I've ever taken. College isn't that stressful to me. As someone else has said, some people aren't wired to be academically apt. They could maybe get away with some vocational training. Also, have you forgotten the cost factor involved? Not everyone can afford it, and if they aren't academically astute to begin with, their chance of scholarships is nil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
No one seems to understand, it's the complaining! There is financial aid for people who can't afford it so that's not an excuse!
It isn't much. At U of I, for example, you will use up all your federal aid (
Stafford loans have annual and aggregate limits) in two years. What will you do then?

Old 07-06-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I think people who choose not to go to college are mostly ignorant and lazy, when I was getting my undergrad, so many of my fellow students were people who had just moved to this country, still going through the cultural shock, some struggled with the English language yet, they worked hard and never gave up. Yet, I hear some American born idiots say things like "college is not for me" or "I can't afford it". Our country is full of pathetic losers.
Yes, you.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:42 PM

387 posts, read 532,885 times
I find that interesting. A lot of people won't admit that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I went to college. Didn't do me a bit of good. I don't need my degree to do the job I'm doing.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I think people who choose not to go to college are mostly ignorant and lazy, when I was getting my undergrad, so many of my fellow students were people who had just moved to this country, still going through the cultural shock, some struggled with the English language yet, they worked hard and never gave up. Yet, I hear some American born idiots say things like "college is not for me" or "I can't afford it". Our country is full of pathetic losers.
Yes, you.

Calling them stupid or lazy because they didn't want to go to college makes no sense. I can tell you from experience teaching college brats that some of them are the dumbest and laziest that I've encountered.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 PM

387 posts, read 532,885 times
What's your opinion on college students that do not want to learn subjects that do not pertain exactly to their major? Do you call them lazy and dumb? That's one of the reasons why I transferred out and changed majors. I had it with the labyrinthine type games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Yes, you.

Calling them stupid or lazy because they didn't want to go to college makes no sense. I can tell you from experience teaching college brats that some of them are the dumbest and laziest that I've encountered.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,675 times
Quote:

Not going to college does not make someone lazy. I know many people who work incredibly hard and make a good living without a college degree. I also know many college graduates that are as lazy as they come. College is not for everyone, many people are able to have successful, rewarding lives with out the piece of paper. I also think it is better to not go to college than to go and waste money on a degree that will do you no good.

Lets see you do some of the jobs that do not require a college degree such as something with hard manual labor. Perhaps then you will have a little more appreciation for the so called lazy people without a college degree.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:29 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,068 times
One thing you guys might want to consider when it comes to degrees and unemployment:

I hear a lot of people pointing to anecdotes about how even higher education is still no guarantee from avoiding unemployment, and that is most certainly true. I'm an Undergraduate and Master's degree holder, and I got kicked right out of my job at the end of 2009 when the economy fell through.

That said, consider the fact that the unemployment rate is still heavily skewed toward those without a degree. Less education = higher probability of unemployment. That's what the statistics say, such as below from an article that actually provides those critical anecdotes "against" college degree holders.

College Degree No Shield As More Jobs Are Slashed - washingtonpost.com

Quote:
In November, the unemployment rate among workers with a college degree or higher reached 3.1 percent. While that figure is modest compared with the national unemployment rate of 6.7 percent -- and nowhere near the 10.5 percent unemployment rate among those without a high school diploma -- it hasn't been that high since 2003.
Of course, your mileage will significantly vary based on industry, job function, and other individual circumstances, but those stats point to a huge overall difference. They suggest that people with less education are suffering disproportionately in this economy. In my case, I move to California and found another similar-paying job doing the same thing I was doing within about a month. I was in the right place at the right time, to some extent, but I'm also fortunate to be well-positioned with education and experience in a field that still has some prospects. A recent quick calculation of my former MBA classmates suggested an unemployment rate for that group of between 5-7%.

In case anyone is interested, here's more data on the trend I described from different sources and angles:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1722...ducation-level
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t04.htm

Last edited by ambient; 07-07-2010 at 02:37 AM..

Old 07-07-2010, 03:14 AM

436 posts, read 954,321 times
Having gone and graduated college and being in the military, I find people with military experience highly superior and more advanced in their training, life experience, and dedication. It's not even close to what civilians can offer on average. I'd much rather put my faith and trust in someone who served their country than your mediocre college graduate.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:33 AM

296 posts, read 273,420 times
Quote:
This has always crossed my mind. I have had some friends who never went to college. They work minimum wage jobs like at Mcdonalds or at a grocery store. They often times complain and gripe about their job and about how they aren't making enough money and in my mind I think "well then you should have gone to college and you might be a lot hapier" It just bugs me and then I've had people in those jobs who have told me that college can't be anywhere near as hard as working at a grocery store, mcdonals, etc. it just really grinds my gears when people complain about their minimum wage jobs when they had the choice to go to college and try to make the best of life. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way or not. I am not talking about people who do construction, or work in mines, or dangerous jobs like that. I am talking about the people that work these so called "hard" jobs at fast food chains, stores, etc.
when creating a thread tooting your own education skillz, it really helps to at least give it a glance or two before posting. What I bolded was only what jumped out at me with a quick glance.
as far as your theory, it sucks. My dad recently retired from his position as president and CEO of a bank he started himself and he is worth millions. As far as myself, I recently went back to school and completed my BSBA. I am currently a grad student, but I did quite well without any of the paper. My current employer really doesn't even care about the degree, which is pretty common in the IT field. My pieces of paper with certifications on them are the key here.
So yeah, your theory sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies