Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support another "Stimulus" Bill?
Yes 8 13.11%
No 51 83.61%
I dont know 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:00 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,138,344 times

Advertisements

There have been some in the media lately calling for another Stimulus Bill. I think it was the LA Times that says the first one is already running out. I wasnt aware that they actually spent all that money yet. I know during the first year, they hadnt spent much of it. There has been some suggesting that we are on the verge of basically another double dip.

Either way, if you support another one, why? I dont understand how people think spending and spending is going to get us completely out of this mess. We DONT HAVE THE MONEY. So why keep spending for a temporary solution? The Stimulus Bill did little to create jobs in the private sector. It created some in the government and prevented some from being layed off, but..as predicted, the money has run out and now they need more.

This whole notion of constant spending and digging deeper debt is a disaster. How on earth do some of you rationalize this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:03 PM

16 posts, read 8,363 times
No.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:04 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
No.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:10 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
You mean like a tax cut? What kind of stimulus?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like the Stimulus Bill they passed last year. What was it, 800 billion dollars or something? And it was basically filled with pork and Obama said, I know I said I wasnt going to sign a bill with pork in it, but this will be the last one.

The bill that he said if passed, un-employment wouldnt go over 8 percent.

That stimulus bill. Yes, it may have slowed things down a bit as far as not letting things get any worse, but I think the long term impact of it will be felt negatively. If that money is nearly out like the LA Times says, then some of what op-posers of the bill said was true. It wasnt going to do much good and itd be temporary and sooner or later some will be calling for another Stimulus.

We cant keep doing that. That is a perfect way to run a country into the ground. It makes no sense, whatsoever to keep spending billions and billions and especially have most of it go to pet projects for politicians and government jobs.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The last one wasn't a stimulus bill..it was a subsidy bill.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
NO!!! I did not support any of the ones we have had already. This is not freakin baseball, it is not 3 strikes and you are out. We had two they BOTH failed miserably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Tax cuts would help. But I think youre kidding yourself if you think we are going to get any type of significant tax cut.

And people think letting the Bush tax cuts expire isnt going to affect middle class Americans. Well, think again. It sure as hell will affect us.Who do you think are employers are? It isnt those who dont pay taxes, its those who pay the most and who happen to also provide jobs

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Not just no, but HELL NO. Good God, it's amazing to think that liberal Europe is proposing austerity measures and we're still hell bent on more pork spending.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Tax cuts will not provide enough stimulus for companies to hire and people to buy.
Homes have devalued as well as investments. People have lost so much of their wealth on paper that any tax cuts won't help. This is not some simple recession so those "tools" like cuts won't work here. With 20% unemployment (shadowstats) tax cuts are meaningless to many.

The Bush tax cuts worked but the economy then was nothing like today..nothing.
There are many many people who now cannot retire because their retirement funds can't support them; they can't even sell their homes and walk away with money.

Who are you kidding that tax cuts will magically cure this depression ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies