Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:17 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Imkcin is sooooo S M R T....

LOL
Smart enough to not be conservative, or a Repuglican or to have blind faith.

btw, your post is not a borderline attack, it clearly is an attack, and was reported as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:20 PM

512 posts, read 861,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Those who patronize have run out of ideas and the respect of their fellow mankind.

I see you have done both.
You're correct, I did patroinize, and for that, I apologize.

Just because you may have a "new idea" doesn't mean it's a good one.

Respect is earned.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 PM

406 posts, read 495,645 times
Quote:
Hey, why not go back and check your late 1960's history and the party that past the civil rights bill...oh yeah. IT WAS THE DEMOCRATS.

What about the Montana GOP wanted to make homosexuality illegal....you don't see a problem with that? Probably not.

I couldn't resist bringing this up again!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
You're correct, I did patroinize, and for that, I apologize.

Just because you may have a "new idea" doesn't mean it's a good one.

Respect is earned.

I appreciate you realizing this. Thank you.

But by definition well being and welfare are syonomous.

Welfare can be described as the promotion of well-being. Welfare as a active noun can also be government subsistance.

But I will no longer mince words.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I appreciate you realizing this. Thank you.

But by definition well being and welfare are syonomous.

Welfare can be described as the promotion of well-being. Welfare as a active noun can also be government subsistance.

But I will no longer mince words.
But it's the promotion of the well-being of our country, not of an individual person. Read the preamble again. Tell me where, anywhere, in it there is a reference to taking care of the individual. It was not written to promise a nation of people that they would be taken care of by their new government. That's what they just fought for independence of!

And I certainly don't want to mince words with you. That's what's wrong with the disintegration of our government. You should be wanting to dissect these words to understand the serious nature of them. They weren't playing around on a web forum, they had just shed blood and given up their lives for a new life, freedoms, and the future. I don't think there's a single thing in our lives today that could possibly come to such a turning point in history, as did their words and actions in those years. They didn't just pick words that sounded pretty, they wrote out a promise to us.

Dude, I'm starting to feel bad for picking on you, but I've seen misrepresentations like this so many times before, and I feel compelled to show you the error, when I have the chance. I'm not bullying you, but please, if you do nothing else today, re-read the preamble. Put yourself in their shoes, feel the pain, the weariness, the overwhelming pressure of what they'd just come through and the task they were then placed with. These were traitors one year and leaders of an uncharted nation the next. If you aren't willing to do that, then you should show some respect and discontinue posting about things you're not willing to dig deep into.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 PM

382 posts, read 302,754 times
A crybaby in our midst. Watch your mouth's people can't speak your mind you might reported.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:37 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
In reading an article about Christopher Hitchens, I ran across a quote I had quite forgotten. No less a leftist stalwart than Susan Sontag once stated communism in Eastern Europe was “fascism with a human face.”

In light of a fight I didn’t pick, I find that kind of humorous…

My pouty and venomous friend who has posited I am undereducated might consider such an esteemed intellectual more than I… Regardless there remains a true and evident bastardization and hybridization of two rather disparate forms of totalitarianism running in the veins of modern American Liberalism.

I never apologize for being patronizing. As a general rule when people need patronizing, I oblige.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
But it's the promotion of the well-being of our country, not of an individual person. Read the preamble again. Tell me where, anywhere, in it there is a reference to taking care of the individual. It was not written to promise a nation of people that they would be taken care of by their new government. That's what they just fought for independence of!

And I certainly don't want to mince words with you. That's what's wrong with the disintegration of our government. You should be wanting to dissect these words to understand the serious nature of them. They weren't playing around on a web forum, they had just shed blood and given up their lives for a new life, freedoms, and the future. I don't think there's a single thing in our lives today that could possibly come to such a turning point in history, as did their words and actions in those years. They didn't just pick words that sounded pretty, they wrote out a promise to us.

Dude, I'm starting to feel bad for picking on you, but I've seen misrepresentations like this so many times before, and I feel compelled to show you the error, when I have the chance. I'm not bullying you, but please, if you do nothing else today, re-read the preamble. Put yourself in their shoes, feel the pain, the weariness, the overwhelming pressure of what they'd just come through and the task they were then placed with. These were traitors one year and leaders of an uncharted nation the next. If you aren't willing to do that, then you should show some respect and discontinue posting about things you're not willing to dig deep into.
We're arguing over the same thing. Welfare means much more than government subsistance [which tho I am liberal, have my issues with].

Source: Webster's Dictionary.
Main Entry: 1wel·fare
Pronunciation: \ˈwel-ˌfer\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from the phrase wel faren to fare well
Date: 14th century
1 : the state of doing well especially in respect to good fortune, happiness, well-being, or prosperity <must look out for your own welfare>
2 a : aid in the form of money or necessities for those in need b : an agency or program through which such aid is distributed

Main Entry: well–be·ing
Pronunciation: \ˈwel-ˈbē-iŋ\
Date: 1582
: the state of being happy, healthy, or prosperous : welfare

The Preamble uses the word, Welfare btw. So I'm not the one mincing words or even ideas.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:50 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm only voting gay Republican. Oops. Guess that means I'm not voting for any Republicans.

You're voting for Moonbeam??!!

Old 07-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
We're arguing over the same thing. Welfare means much more than government subsistance [which tho I am liberal, have my issues with].

Source: Webster's Dictionary.
Main Entry: 1wel·fare
Pronunciation: \ˈwel-ˌfer\
Etymology: Middle English, from the phrase wel faren to fare well
Date: 14th century
1 : the state of doing well especially in respect to good fortune, happiness, well-being, or prosperity <must look out for your own welfare>
2 a : aid in the form of money or necessities for those in need b : an agency or program through which such aid is distributed

Main Entry: well–be·ing
Pronunciation: \ˈwel-ˈbē-iŋ\
Date: 1582
: the state of being happy, healthy, or prosperous : welfare

The Preamble uses the word, Welfare btw. So I'm not the one mincing words or even ideas.
We aren't arguing the same point. You are inserting words that are not a part of the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution, I am bringing your error to point. You are arguing for a government which takes care of the individual all the way down to their individual needs, and once again, I am pointing out that the documents you've referenced to prove your point don't say what you THINK they say.

(sigh) Again, words have meaning. The documents you refernce weren't made of of ideas or ideals (do you know the difference?). They were made up of words which have serious meaning to this day. They were written as a promise from our government (or future government as in the Declaration of Independence) to its people, stating our rights and the dedication and limits we should hold our government to.

Okay, little tyke (you so deserve that now), I was aware the preamble has the word 'welfare' long before you were, so I'm not sure your point. And yes, you are mincing words, ideas, ideals, and everything else in that stone soup you're cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies