Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:48 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I skimmed over the "top 5 myths" one. It was weak, at best.

The Bible itself is a documented, very dependable historical book. There is more reason to believe in Jesus and his miracles than there is for Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great.

It just makes an attempt to disprove that which the Bible teaches, like creation.

No....scientists doe a good enough job on their own.

Quote:
Come on. Give me some good stuff. Prove to me the cosmological argument is crap. prove to me that the universe came from nothing.
Come on....put up or shut up.
The universe coming from nothing or otherwise does little to convince an intelligent, logical, critical thinking person that a big guy sittting at a drafting table designed this mess. As for Jesus and the reality of his existence or his miracles, most Christians do not acknowledge the reality that his "Last Supper" was a Passover Seder. Obviously the writers of the bible rewrote history too.

If some supreme being intelligently designed this place, I think he needs to be held accountable for the atrocities that came with it.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
It's still a freakin virus. You don't seem to understand that. It's not equivalent to a cow growing wings.
And if such a thing occurred, it would be proof AGAINST evolution.

Again, you do not seem to understand at all what evolution even is. This is classic Creationist nonsense you are posting here. Cows growing wings? No. Cows and birds having a common ancestor? Yes. Any of this getting through?

Quote:
I'm sorry....I honestly don't care enough about it to read your propoganda. I doubt you'd read some if I posted something for you.
What a pathetic cop out. Of course you are not interested in looking at the stuff that proves you completely wrong. And I would read something you linked - problem is, I bet I've read it already. This is isn't my first time at the rodeo.

You are enough to say evolution is not a fact, but DON'T care enough to examine the evidence that proves you wrong. I'll say this, you do make a very, very good Calvinist. I find Arminian Christians to be much more intellectually honest.

Quote:
Give me some explanation in your own words--I want to see if you can understand it or just post links.
I already did, in several posts above. You can pretend all you like, but I and others have already explained ERV's to you at a level even a junior high school student can understand. You dismissed it out of hand, without any explanation or argument to the contrary.

You are in denial, and seem awfully keen to remain that way.

Quote:
What's a "creationist" if not a term coined by people that dont' believe it?
Creationists self-identify with this term.

Quote:
No...it's not a lie. And Jesus isn't a baby. But he would cry at the thought of you holding to foolish theories.
It is a lie. You have been given the evidence - and you refuse to even examine it. You lost this debate before it even started.

Quote:
The origins of the universe. The cosmological argument has yet to be disproven by anyone here.
Because it is off-topic. Evolution is a fact whether God lit the match or if we are all farted out of some giant extradimensional being after eating too much Mexican food.

Quote:
Honestly...at this point I grow tired of your rambling and don't care to argue point by point if you won't actually read them.
I bet you do. Losing a debate isn't fun.

Perhaps you should come armed with real argument and evidence next time.

Quote:
Give me a solid answer of why the cosmological argument isn't reasonable and we'll talk.
Irrelevant.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
* yawn *

I'm looking forward to you giving me a reason why creationism is not a reasonable argument.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
* yawn *

I'm looking forward to you giving me a reason why creationism is not a reasonable argument.
Because it has no scientific backing whatsoever.

That is why evolution belongs in a science classroom and creationism doesn't.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Really? Please explain these "weaknesses."

Quote:
The Bible itself is a documented, very dependable historical book. There is more reason to believe in Jesus and his miracles than there is for Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great.
The Bible is a mixture of fact, myth, and political propaganda. There is much truth in it, but most of this truth is not in its literal interpretation. That it is not literally true in no way diminishes its value as a religious text.

Quote:
It just makes an attempt to disprove that which the Bible teaches, like creation.
It does no such thing. If it happens to mean Genesis is not literally true (which we already know from many other areas of science), then that's too bad for those that insist on literally interpreting Genesis - which is a damn silly thing to do anyway.

Quote:
Says you, without being able to show how or why.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:00 PM

Did Calvinist just trot out the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?

He's not even up to date with Creationists. They gave that argument up long ago.

(because it's baloney)

Old 07-27-2010, 12:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
* yawn *

Still waiting to hear why creationism needs to be taught in public schools...what does it teach children to do and how can it be applied to future learning/education/research/experiments...

Old 07-27-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
* yawn *

Yawn

I'm looking forward to you giving us a single falsifiable hypothesis that would support Creationism.

That is the standard. A hypothesis that can be empirically tested.

Got one of those? Let's see it, as well as the results of the experiment.

I'm waiting.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
And I suppose since it's just the 'creationist' part of it that you feel so strongly about, you won't mind if we talk about the Hindu stories of creation. I mean, what difference does it makes WHOSE story of creation we use, right? You just care that creationism is presented, right?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:06 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:

Come on. Give me some good stuff. Prove to me the cosmological argument is crap. prove to me that the universe came from nothing. Come on....put up or shut up.
Creationism is the religious belief that humanity, life, the Earth, and the universe were created in some form by a supernatural being or beings. ...

The above exchange is exactly why I am not surprised by the poll results. It would be very interesting though, to see a comparison of blind faith creationism and scientific theory side by side in a class room IMO.

But, make sure you add in the study of UFO's etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies