Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:06 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

And in the political news, Jindal now wants to reconstruct the barrier island system. Science be dam..ed! Certainly don't want reason to get in the way of good politics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/sc...ef=todayspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 05:11 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
Youre a riot. With all the screw ups and deliberate lackadazicals response by the government, you want to slam Jindal who is getting desperate for some real help?!

Jindal has shown more leadership during this than Obama has in a year and a half. Sorry florida.bob, but to see you take some cheap shot at Jindal while you defend some of the garbage going on in Obama's admin, well thats just pathetic. Sometimes you people sink to new lows every day. Too busy turning your head to point fingers and laugh at one side to see how screwed up your own side is.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Youre a riot. With all the screw ups and deliberate lackadazicals response by the government, you want to slam Jindal who is getting desperate for some real help?!

Jindal has shown more leadership during this than Obama has in a year and a half. Sorry florida.bob, but to see you take some cheap shot at Jindal while you defend some of the garbage going on in Obama's admin, well thats just pathetic. Sometimes you people sink to new lows every day. Too busy turning your head to point fingers and laugh at one side to see how screwed up your own side is.
I know, it is disgusting to listen to what experts have to say. Politicians are so much wiser.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,180 times
I hope he doesn't really want Federal money. After all, his is the party that wants a smaller Federal govt. (Oh wait, that is right, it was only under FDR that the Federal govt. began to respond to natuarl disasters that affected the nation.)

Old 07-07-2010, 05:34 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I know, it is disgusting to listen to what experts have to say. Politicians are so much wiser.

I think it is public officials right and responsibility to weigh the certain damage that will be cause by the oil reaching land versus the potential damage to barrier islands. It is not irrational to pick your poison.

"The scientists explained to the corps how narrowing the inlets with rock would set the stage for the breaching of existing barrier islands during the region’s frequent storms. They warned that damage to these islands — which have buffered the impact of major storms like Hurricane Katrina — would prove difficult to repair, perhaps impossible, and would most likely outstrip any benefit to the wetlands gained by stopping the oil with the rock barriers."

That is the public's decision to make.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:01 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Ah, the Army Corp of Engineers, the same group who built NO's wonderful levee system that failed so miserably during Katrina. Guess we should just trust them without any reservations, huh?

The "experts" in the scientific community routinely are wrong in their predictions. "Experts". woefully undercounted that amount of oil leaking into the gulf.

Now the oil is in the Lake,destroying even more of the ecosystem. Could it have been prevented if the experts were more aggressive in their actions?

Oil seeps into New Orleans' Lake Pontchartrain - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100706/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill - broken link)

Old 07-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I think it is public officials right and responsibility to weigh the certain damage that will be cause by the oil reaching land versus the potential damage to barrier islands. It is not irrational to pick your poison.

"The scientists explained to the corps how narrowing the inlets with rock would set the stage for the breaching of existing barrier islands during the region’s frequent storms. They warned that damage to these islands — which have buffered the impact of major storms like Hurricane Katrina — would prove difficult to repair, perhaps impossible, and would most likely outstrip any benefit to the wetlands gained by stopping the oil with the rock barriers."

That is the public's decision to make.
I can't really agree with the last sentence, other than to say the Fed Govt, is the public. I feel it is the Fed Govt's responsibility and duty to protect our shores.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:05 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
I can't really agree with the last sentence, other than to say the Fed Govt, is the public. I feel it is the Fed Govt's responsibility and duty to protect our shores.

Why not local governments and people, after all they are most affected. In any event that is the basic difference between the left and right. The left believes that people should defer to the government and the right believes the government should defer to the people.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
And when they drag their feet and don't ?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:11 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Unless the govt has an agenda to help destroy the oil companies. While admittedly this sounds preposterous, you really wonder why 2 months into this tragedy how so little has been done. Can this administration really be this incompetent, or could the poor response be designed to help pass the cap/trade legislation and the push for green energy? Either way, it doesn't install confidence in the adminstartion's ability to perform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies