Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,533,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
and a culinary school... The Republicans are politicizing this issue before elections to turn everyone against the Democrats.
Oh, is that what the Republicans are doing? Thanks for the tip. Actually if you do a bit of reserach I think you will find there are quite a few democrats who are opposed to the location as well.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:55 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,050,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Oh, is that what the Republicans are doing? Thanks for the tip. Actually if you do a bit of reserach I think you will find there are quite a few democrats who are opposed to the location as well.
The unfortunate Democrats are opposed because of the upcoming elections and are afraid of losing support...

Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,530,328 times
It is a dangerous thing, denying a religious group a place to worship. Blaming the Muslims who want this facility for 9/11 is like the Nazi's blaming all Jews for the murder of Ernst vom Rath and then using it as an excuse for Kristallnacht. It is dangerous to do this and simply wrong. America is on an anti-Muslim tirade and this is an excuse to take it to a higher level. This is being played out all over the US and I see those who use it for political gain as pandering to ignorance and fear. Which group will be next?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:06 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,406,129 times
Quote:
and a culinary school... The Republicans are politicizing this issue before elections to turn everyone against the Democrats.
I wonder if they dropped the name "Islamic" and just opened it with a community center, with a non denominational temple of some kind, if people would still throw a fit.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,305,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Who cares about the privileged one percent? It's the 53% of us that pay taxes that I am worried about.

I guess that is fine for the 47% who belong to the porch sitting and mailbox watching crowd. The check shows up and all is well!

What happens when you run out of other peoples money?

The elections are coming and we will be righting this ship. Count on it!
What does any of the above have to do with the mosque/community center?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:09 AM

13,695 posts, read 9,019,963 times
What if, instead of the basketball courts, the Muslim group said they were building a golf course with a Mosque attached?

I bet a lot of those presently opposed would change their minds.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:11 AM

88,629 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
I could never begin to imagine what the 9/11 families went through but this issue is being used to satisfy a political agenda.
The community center is not 2 blocks away... it's more like 5 blocks away... you can't even see it from the World Trade Center site.
It's two blocks north of the northernmost border of the WTC site.

No, you cannot see it from the WTC. You might be able to see it from some of the higher offices on the north side of One World Trade Center when it is opened and occupied, but if being able to see a big rectangular glass building where Muslims meet is a big concern for you, you probably shouldn't be working at a place called The World Trade Center, lol.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:16 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,896,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
What does any of the above have to do with the mosque/community center?
It has as much to do with the Mosque as GregW's comment did which is what I responded to.

I am guessing you must the a dem since you needed help understanding my comment, am I right? No wonder your type loves big government, your so happy to let someone else do the thinking for you instead of reading and learning for yourself!

On second thought, nevermind, we all know Dem's don't read bills, they pass them so they can find out whats in them.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,080,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
It is a dangerous thing, denying a religious group a place to worship. Blaming the Muslims who want this facility for 9/11 is like the Nazi's blaming all Jews for the murder of Ernst vom Rath and then using it as an excuse for Kristallnacht. It is dangerous to do this and simply wrong. America is on an anti-Muslim tirade and this is an excuse to take it to a higher level. This is being played out all over the US and I see those who use it for political gain as pandering to ignorance and fear. Which group will be next?
Good grief! When are you people going to actually study the religious philosophy behind this very radical muslim/terrorist group! For centuries it has been an accepted thing to "count coup" by building their own religious representative (mosque) right over the top of any representative entity of the religious faction they have captured/defeated! In other words, its like pi**ing on the enemy.

They have done this for centuries. The Catholic religious zealots who overran Mexico did the same thing. You can still see it. Go to Mexico and you will find Catholic churches built up on high mounds (man-made hills) and there are actually tourist tunnels below into the Aztec temples that were covered up with dirt upon which the Catholic church above is built. I've been there and seen it with my own eyes!

There's an agenda in trying to build this Mosque at this location. If we Americans in this country don't wake up, we will be the slaves (men) and chattel (women...ever hear of Sharia law??) of the terrorist/radical muslim faction that is trying to take over the world. This nicey-nice crap will defeat us. Get some cojones and stand up and show strength! That's the ONLY thing these radical understand.

WAKE UP AMERICA!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,736,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
There is NO HOUSING in this area. This is an industrial area. There is no need to expand the existing mosque except to erect a monument against America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies