Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:07 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsua View Post
I don't understand what you're getting at? Even people with high IQs run into age discrimination, and gender bias, especially if they are applying for low paying, no skills jobs.
Simple, you are using a lot of "what ifs".

So, I used one, the fact is we really do not know...my guess, this is a fictional person.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:07 PM

640 posts, read 388,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It is happening in tech. People layed off go to contract companies.
The contract companies have to bid for work and salaries are based on that.

I know a couple of layed off software programmers that had to go the contract route and have taken pay cuts. Companies would rather hire a contractor than an employee now. So, yeah, it's happening already in high tech at least.
Of course contract workers means no benefits and no unemployment.

IMO, the rich and big corporations are going to make a third world country out of the US in no time at all. And people refuse to see that they are fighting against their own best interests.

If it is next to impossible to win an age discrimination case now, where will people be when those laws don't even apply anymore because everyone is a contract worker?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Of course contract workers means no benefits and no unemployment.

IMO, the rich and big corporations are going to make a third world country out of the US in no time at all. And people refuse to see that they are fighting against their own best interests.

If it is next to impossible to win an age discrimination case now, where will people be when those laws don't even apply anymore because everyone is a contract worker?
It is Obama who wants to "even things out".

Old 07-17-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Simple, you are using a lot of "what ifs".

So, I used one, the fact is we really do not know...my guess, this is a fictional person.
You know, it doesn't matter whether or not the person in the OP is fictional. The facts could easily apply to many people in our country now and in the future.

How people are responding to this scenario is very telling........whether it is a "real" person or not. There are many factors to consider when it comes to employment. Why so many are so eager to believe that an unemployed person is just lazy, etc., and not really trying to find work is amazing to me. I think it is a defense mechanism which protects them from facing the reality that the way things "have always been in the US" may have changed, and won't go back to the way they were. We had best become a little more concerned with what is happening to our neighbors in the country rather than harshly criticizing everyone. Nobody wants to live on a subsistance income such as unemployment and I don't believe the large majority of people receiving unemployment want to live that way either. I believe they would much rather have a job.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
It is Obama who wants to "even things out".
It's about time that the playing field be a little balanced out. Pure unbridled capitalism is enormously harsh. It must be balanced out with some regulation and social programs unless we want to live in the world of Mad Max.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
You know, it doesn't matter whether or not the person in the OP is fictional. The facts could easily apply to many people in our country now and in the future.

How people are responding to this scenario is very telling........whether it is a "real" person or not. There are many factors to consider when it comes to employment. Why so many are so eager to believe that an unemployed person is just lazy, etc., and not really trying to find work is amazing to me. I think it is a defense mechanism which protects them from facing the reality that the way things "have always been in the US" may have changed, and won't go back to the way they were. We had best become a little more concerned with what is happening to our neighbors in the country rather than harshly criticizing everyone. Nobody wants to live on a subsistance income such as unemployment and I don't believe the large majority of people receiving unemployment want to live that way either. I believe they would much rather have a job.
There are no facts with fiction.

That is what makes it fiction.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
It's about time that the playing field be a little balanced out. Pure unbridled capitalism is enormously harsh. It must be balanced out with some regulation and social programs unless we want to live in the world of Mad Max.
Well, we have plenty of regulation and we've kept adding more over the years. We also have plenty of social programs and keep adding new ones and spend even more on the old ones.

But in the end..it's not working, is it ?

Asking for more government does not make the problems go away.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I never said unemployment was a lazy persons problem, but dependence on the government is a huge social problem with a solution that starts at home. This is the stuff people have some control over; their life choices, their family relationships, their friendships, their contracts, their support network, the skills they acquire, their flexability, taking advantage of opportunity, and being creative. There is no one right way to live, we cling to the model that everyone should have their own home and stuff to put in it. But that was always a pipe dream even as everyone was doing it. It got us in this mess and the only way we can get ourselves out is by changing out view on life and how we live.

The economy, the country, the world, may NEVER go back to "normal", so what then? I'm thinking we will see more boarding houses, more communial living, more generations under one roof, the kind of things our ancesters did to get by before people got money from the government.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
There are no facts with fiction.

That is what makes it fiction.
Okay. So this scenario could never happen. Let's not talk about it.

I gotta go. I'm busy with my "social networking" tonight.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
There ya go, just consider your fictional lady as balance.

Someone in China is working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies