Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 12:23 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,370,040 times

Advertisements

I have to say the tittle of this thread bothers me.

Why is having kids implied to be the answer to poverty??

Bad message and SO untrue.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:24 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,870,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsua View Post
I do realize it is illegal to discriminate based on age...........and the reality is people don't win those kinds of cases. Age discrimination is next to impossible to prove.
Do you have statistics or are you still just assuming?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:27 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,768,520 times
Tell her to move to Alberta, Canada.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,802,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
No, I would guess fasting on soy products only as part of the green movement??
It is a "fictionally futuristic" movie, themed in the concept of euthanasia and framed in a generation of those who are forced to deal
with the classical problem of overcrowding, by turning those being euthanized into food pellets to sustain the existence of those people
remaining. You might be able to find the movie (starring Edward G. Robinson and Charlton Heston) somewhere out here on the internet.

The movie is certainly, food for thought.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:28 PM

640 posts, read 388,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Nitsua, my kids would have loved to have you around when they were growing up. They can up with all kinds of excuses why they shouldn't have to do their chores, too. But they grew up, as MOST of us do. And they know if you don't want to starve you need to work. They also knew that if they wanted to go to the movies on Sat. they had to SAVE to do it. If they wanted something more expensive they had to Plan ways to get the money.

I do feel sorry for the people that have lost their jobs and yes it can happen to anyone. But in 93 weeks you can find many ways to help yourself out. But that isn't what you are arguing. You think the Gov't should take care of all of societys ills. But then who do you think should pay for this.

You've already stated that the ultra rich will move away if they are taxed too much. If people that are 50 are no longer hireable, do you think people in their 30s and 40s should support everyone over 50?

You do realize that the gov't can't just print money don't you? I mean the money that the gov't has is money that belongs to the taxpayers. You get that don't you?

You can come up with millions of excuses for people but you haven't shared any ideas on how to deal with it. Does the unemployment keep coming until someone else is in the administration that will actually CREATE jobs?

Your negativity is beyond belief. Your "what ifs

" don't solve any problems. Try channeling your attitude in a more positive direction and maybe one day you will wake up and YOU won't be so afraid.
Exactly what does the way your children were raised have to do with a person in their 50s without any family not being able to find a job and therefore has no money and cannot provide for her physical survival?

So in 93 weeks the 50=something yr old has not been able to find a job. Let me ask you if you think age discrimination has been completely eliminated over that 93 week period?

You say I think that government should solve all our problems. No. However, I do think that government can contribute to the resolution of our most severe problems, like starving people, homeless people, bag ladies on the street, especially older Americans living in cardboard boxes. Could it be that we as a culture have no respect for anything other than money, and that "old" people are just a burden, so why don't they die already? Hmmmm? By the way, what percentage of the budget goes to social services??

Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Tell her to move to Alberta, Canada.

Where is she going to get the money to move to Alberta, Canada? And what will she do when she gets there?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Do you have statistics or are you still just assuming?
I'll work on finding that information for you. I'm not assuming. I have some idea of what kind of proof is necessary to win an age discrimination case and how almost impossible it is to obtain it. Plus, if someone is unemployed, broke, cannot provide for their own physical survival, how are they going to PAY a lawyer?

Lawsuits are costly.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:36 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,533,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
It is a "fictionally futuristic" movie, themed in the concept of euthanasia and framed in a generation of those who are forced to deal
with the classical problem of overcrowding, by turning those being euthanized into food pellets to sustain the existence of those people
remaining. You might be able to find the movie (starring Edward G. Robinson and Charlton Heston) somewhere out here on the internet.

The movie is certainly, food for thought.
Oh, sounds yummy.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:36 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,658,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They can. Some positions come with room and board.

People pay good money to have their pets cared for too.
Yes, dog walkers earn 10.00 an hour here.
Driving children to school and picking them up, taking them to activities. (by the way, I am waiting for polish to dry in case anyone is interested)
They are old enough to talk and tell ther parents EVERYTHING the babysitter is doing.
Selling on Ebay.
Driving the elderly to Dr. appointments, taking them to the grocery store.
Cleaning houses.
Taking in a border.
Baking and selling it.
Painting someones apartment.
Time to shine these shoes!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I have to say the tittle of this thread bothers me.

Why is having kids implied to be the answer to poverty??

Bad message and SO untrue.
I guess most people live with the illusion that adult children will help their parents with their physical survival needs in their old age if they need it. My impression was that this woman had no children and therefore no one to help her out, as well as no siblings and her parents had died. So she is basically without any family whatsoever. Most people think of family as the people to help someone in such dire circumstances.

Stop thinking in terms of ONE woman. This could be many, many people in this country right now. The question is how do WE solve this type of problem. You are getting hung up on a belief that this is one person trying to get "something" out of you guys on the Internet. It is not. It is a fact of life these days, and we are all going to have to deal with situations like this in the very near future in our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies