Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:19 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Clean houses for cash...I did that at one time.

Put up notices at senor housing sites and all bulletin boards.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
Why is she only looking for government programs? In almost every city and town in the country there are nonprofit organizations that provide all sorts of social services.

Necessity is the mother of invention. It sounds like she needs to change her approach or maybe her geography.
If she has the money to move she should go where the rich are, they create jobs.
If she still can't find a job?
There is always babysitting and cleaning houses.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
If that's really what they want, the extension could be offset by either increased revenues or decreased expenditures. Easy fix - let the Bush tax cuts expire as the law currently says. That would more than offset the $35 billion for an extension of unemployment benefits, and would return tax rates to the levels during the Clinton administration ... you remember, the last time the economy did just fine?
Well that certainly is an option. But most likely one that Congress won't even consider. They want their votes in Nov to get back into their cushy jobs in DC.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
A woman I know has no close family and just went through her 93 weeks of unemployment insurance. She sent out hundreds of resumes, and applied in person at about every retail and fast food place in town. Nothing. She just can not find a job. She went through all her savings and now has nothing left. She can't pay her rent and has no credit left on our credit cards and owes thousands. She has about $36 dollars left in her bank account and has sold most of her things.

As a single woman with no kids, is she eligible for welfare, rent subsidies, food stamps, etc? She is able bodied but just can not find a job. She has no disabilities and is a white legal American. Again her family is dead. (Mom and Dad passed away and no siblings)
First I'm going to assume that you actually know this woman, and not just making it up for the purpose of making strawman argument to support unemployment.. But she's had 93 weeks to start her own company, what company did she start?
Quote:
What should she do and what is societies role to help her?
She's YOUR friend, arent you going to help her, but you expect me to?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
She can thank the repubs for that. Apperantly they believe that everyone who has no job is just lazy.
Yeah, its Republicans fault that people dont have jobs.. even though they havent controlled power for over 4 years

Old 07-17-2010, 08:30 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You're posting this in the wrong section. Repost it here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemployment/
WOW... I didn't even know there was an unemployment forum in City-Data...

Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
A woman I know has no close family and just went through her 93 weeks of unemployment insurance. She sent out hundreds of resumes, and applied in person at about every retail and fast food place in town. Nothing. She just can not find a job. She went through all her savings and now has nothing left. She can't pay her rent and has no credit left on our credit cards and owes thousands. She has about $36 dollars left in her bank account and has sold most of her things.

As a single woman with no kids, is she eligible for welfare, rent subsidies, food stamps, etc? She is able bodied but just can not find a job. She has no disabilities and is a white legal American. Again her family is dead. (Mom and Dad passed away and no siblings)

What should she do and what is societies role to help her?
Is she lazy? Unproductive? Is she willing to move? Is she not willing to commit to job? What is societies role? Her friends should provide her shelter and food while she looks for a job (does she have friends? Everybody has friends or does her behavior go against society?)... What about her extended family? Uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, etc? She is eligible for a lot of social services but I guess the aforementioned "unemployment" forum can help her get started...

Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Cases like these afflict me. On the one hand, I truly have sympathy for her situation. I don't like the thought of anyone having such a rough time. But on the other hand, 93 weeks is a long time. It makes me wonder if she waited until the last minute to start looking for jobs. If that's the case, then I have no sympathy for her.

What's her skillset? What has she done for the last 50 years? I have trouble believing that nothing is out there for her. Where does she live? Big town or small town? If she's anywhere near a big city, then my sympathy goes down. Jobs are there. Sucky jobs, but they are jobs. Maybe she's not very resourceful?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Clean houses for cash...I did that at one time.

Put up notices at senor housing sites and all bulletin boards.
In fact, I have hedges that need to be trimmed, floors that need to be swept, decks that need to be stained, garage that needs to be cleaned out, and weekly house dusting... any takers?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:37 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
WOW... I didn't even know there was an unemployment forum in City-Data...
too funny.

where is the OP now? I almost think this woman is a 'theoretical person" used to start a controversy. But either way the OP seems to have vanished with all our suggestions.
I asked several times what city she lives in and I betcha i could find something for her. House cleaning etc all good options when all else fails.

Also like I said cooking, cleaning, shopping for an elderly or disabled person. I have a unemployed friend who is going back to school and she just started lookimg and got a job at an Aldies, or Albies? not sure the name but it is a Grocery store. There are jobs. Maybe not glamerous high paying ones but better than unemployment.

When I was just out of school and I moved to Vermont I cleaned rooms at an Inn I waitressed, worked as a patient care tech at a hospital, and I even held up signs for a road work repair crew! Instead of unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies