Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 01:26 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,139,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapoutofit View Post
I didn't say anything about her comments. I spoke of why I feel that video surfaced, and her subsequently losing her job because of the video surfacing.

If the left didn't inject "racism" into every argument no one would have looked for a way to try to expose them as racist. Hence, no video.
I guess I do not understand how you manage to equate a zero-tolerance for racist commentary policy as "leftist."

Old 07-20-2010, 01:37 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,194,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think that is because white people use the word "Racism" and "Prejudice" as Synonyms and not words that actually have different meaning. If you asked those same black people if blacks can be and are prejudice....they would answer 'Yes'. You can never reach and understanding if you are not on the same page in regards to what a term means. Black people see the terms "raciist" and "prejudice" to be different things. White people interpret the terms to be the same thing......hence the confusion.
I do not think you can be a racists without being prejudiced, you may be prejudiced without being racists though. So when speaking about racism you are speaking about prejudice.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 PM

78,523 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Probably the saddest part is that while the NAACP condemned her comments....the audience broken into laughter when she described her actions towards the "white farmer". It was an NAACP meeting after all.

The irony of them condemning the tea party is thick indeed....and there is no *ok* racism.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:15 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,251,402 times
From the Atlanta news paper.

The wife of the white farmer allegedly discriminated against by the USDA's rural development director for Georgia said Shirley Sherrod "kept us out of bankruptcy." {snip}

But Spooner, who considers Sherrod a "friend for life," said the federal official worked tirelessly to help the Iron City couple hold onto their land as they faced bankruptcy back in 1986. {snip}

For Fox to take a spin on this like they have done, and know it’s not the truth … it’s very upsetting," said Sherrod, 62, who insisted her statements in the video were not racist. "I was struggling with the fact that so many black people had lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough."
Sherrod noted that few news reports have mentioned that the story she told happened 24 years ago -- before she got the USDA job -- when she worked with the Georgia field office for the Federation of Southern Cooperative/Land Assistance Fund.
"And I went on to work with many more white farmers," she said. "The story helped me realize that race is not the issue, it's about the people who have and the people who don't. When I speak to groups, I try to speak about getting beyond the issue of race."

Wow! You mean Fox misconstrued a story so much that it's a lie? Say it ain't so, Joe.

Hey Fox! YOU LIE!

What's sad is a tale about getting beyond prejudices was completed twisted by Fox News, and made into a racist issue. And tea party ilk have lockstepped right in place and carried this forward.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:18 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,467,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
From the Atlanta news paper.

The wife of the white farmer allegedly discriminated against by the USDA's rural development director for Georgia said Shirley Sherrod "kept us out of bankruptcy." {snip}

But Spooner, who considers Sherrod a "friend for life," said the federal official worked tirelessly to help the Iron City couple hold onto their land as they faced bankruptcy back in 1986. {snip}

For Fox to take a spin on this like they have done, and know it’s not the truth … it’s very upsetting," said Sherrod, 62, who insisted her statements in the video were not racist. "I was struggling with the fact that so many black people had lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough."
Sherrod noted that few news reports have mentioned that the story she told happened 24 years ago -- before she got the USDA job -- when she worked with the Georgia field office for the Federation of Southern Cooperative/Land Assistance Fund.
"And I went on to work with many more white farmers," she said. "The story helped me realize that race is not the issue, it's about the people who have and the people who don't. When I speak to groups, I try to speak about getting beyond the issue of race."

Wow! You mean Fox misconstrued a story so much that it's a lie? Say it ain't so, Joe.

Hey Fox! YOU LIE!

What's sad is a tale about getting beyond prejudices was completed twisted by Fox News, and made into a racist issue. And tea party ilk have lockstepped right in place and carried this forward.
As I've said before in this thread. It was her job to help them. It was her racial comments that got her into hot water. There was no lie, no misconstruing, no nothing but the truth about her bigoted comments.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM

47 posts, read 35,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
As I've said before in this thread. It was her job to help them. It was her racial comments that got her into hot water. There was no lie, no misconstruing, no nothing but the truth about her bigoted comments.
Why do you always seem so offended by these things? You come off like you're trying very hard to find racism facing whites and the occasional black outburst justifies that Blacks are the most racist people on earth.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Communist Data View Post
Why do you always seem so offended by these things? You come off like you're trying very hard to find racism facing whites and the occasional black outburst justifies that Blacks are the most racist people on earth.
I have no idea what makes you think I'm offended. I'm just simply pointing out the obvious and correcting the errors in your ways.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:36 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,148,098 times
The fact that she was so colloquial in relating this story suggests to me that she was comfortable in espousing these views in the NAACP setting. In other words, she seemed to find nothing wrong with her actions at the behest of a white farmer; in fact, she felt it was a good enough story that a room full of black people would get a kick out of it.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:39 PM

47 posts, read 35,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I have no idea what makes you think I'm offended. I'm just simply pointing out the obvious and correcting the errors in your ways.
In my ways? Right, take a look at yourself, you know what you're doing.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The fact that she was so colloquial in relating this story suggests to me that she was comfortable in espousing these views in the NAACP setting. In other words, she seemed to find nothing wrong with her actions at the behest of a white farmer; in fact, she felt it was a good enough story that a room full of black people would get a kick out of it.
You are exactly right Aero. She had no problem whatsoever telling them that story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies