Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 05:52 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times

Advertisements

Unlike the poster above, I did NOT hear her say she was wrong nor interpret her comments as admittance to wrongdoing. Good thing I wasn't the farmer because I would sue that racist ***** and the NAACP for all I could get.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:03 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,501,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
You do realize Beck defended Sherrod? Probably not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Yeah after the truth came out....
As opposed to defending her before the truth came out?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:04 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Unlike the poster above, I did NOT hear her say she was wrong nor interpret her comments as admittance to wrongdoing. Good thing I wasn't the farmer because I would sue that racist ***** and the NAACP for all I could get.
If you were to read the thread, or watch the news coverage, you would know that the farmer and this woman are good friends....so much so that they have taken vacations together...

And the NAACP had nothing to do with what she did 24 years ago. She was speaking at her chapter however...

Clearly you do not know too much about the issue. Calm down and get out your feelings.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
The point is its not making gains...its already success! You however can't see it as that. I wouldn't say little Suzie has a 4.0, she's making gains! I would call her a success. I wouldn't bring up the fact that the race with the highest number of females on welfare is white...( and spare me the "because its more of us"...like you said fact is fact.)

This is where I get mad because black people can congratulate, and can say that yes white people and other races are having success....however...its like pulling teeth to get you to see it that way.

I believe this is why Sherrod felt the way she did back then. Im sick and tired of blacks defending and agreeing with white people, yet when its whites turn to do the same you can't!
You're a teacher? Ok, i'm not impressed then. The fact that you squandered an opportunity to show your knowledge of statistics is disappointing. Let me just say this: "As a percentage of population" is a generally-accepted standard in measuring social issues. You can't come along and prop up a statistic that suits your agenda without an accurate basis for using that statistic. Sorry, it just doesn't work that way, unless you're intentionally being disingenuous. I don't think you want to go down the statistics road. It's not pretty for black people.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:11 PM

180 posts, read 188,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Thats because you listened to a version of the speech edited by a conservative wingnut with an agenda. You didn't hear the full speech. He left out some key parts.

Remember the part where she said she took him to a white lawyer and thought that the lawyer "would take care of his own". She goes on to talk about how the lawyer basically didn't do anything and refused to help the farmer file Chapter 11. She also talked about how unjustly he was treated by the county. She said it opened her lines to the fact that injustice also happens on economical lines..not just racial.

here is the FULL VIDEO: Video: Watch the Shirley Sherrod Speech in Full | NAACP

I'm sure you won't watch it though because in reality you only want to see edited sound bites that reinforce your opinions.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I said it before and I will say it again. There is a conspiracy of like minds to make blacks out to be as racist as whites.
Why would we trouble ourselves with such a massive conspiracy when you do the job so well yourselves?
Quote:
Many white people feel a sense of shame and guilt about their history in regards to race.
You don't have the slightest insight into the caucasian mind. The concept of "White Guilt" exists only as myth in the minds of men like yourself. I ask you, how can one possibly feel guilty for a crime committed before ones birth? Although I think it was atrocious, I certainly don't lose any sleep over it.
Quote:
They don't want to appear as "abnormal" or morally inferior (this is why they always want to talk about how blacks sold their own people....to balance or offset whites role in the slave trade and slavery).
So you have a problem with the truth? Specifically the fact that slavery existed in Africa before the arrival of the Europeans - as did a slave trade that exported millions of Africans to North Africa, the Middle East, and the Persian Gulf. Several African nations such as the Ashanti of Ghana and the Yoruba of Nigeria had economies largely depending on the trade. African peoples such as the Imbangala of Angola and the Nyamwezi of Tanzania would serve as intermediaries or roving bands of war with other African nations to capture Africans for export as slaves. Not to mention the present day slavery that still exists in Africa in places like the Sudan, Niger, Chad, Mali, Ghana, and Mauritania. Who's morally inferior now?
Quote:
Moreover, today to be seen as a racist means that one is basically considered a low life or a person to be looked at negatively.
That's true, Malik Zulu Shabazz, the anti-Semitic and racist leader of the New Black Panther Party should be ashamed of himself.
Quote:
Also, current examples of white racism only gives justification to black cries of racism and discrimination and hence validates people like Jackson and Sharpton
First of all, what current examples of white racism are you talking about? And second, mainstream black America left Jesse Jackson behind a long time ago and I don't know anybody black or white who takes Sharpton seriously.

Quote:
In light of that, by spreading the notion that black racism is rampant and the equivalent of white racism, it helps whites feel less shame because they no longer feel morally inferior and abnormal in this behavior.
How can we feel morally inferior and abnormal for a practice that we ended well over a century ago when blacks are still enslaving other blacks in Africa today? Again, who's morally inferior now?
Quote:
Then they use black racism to discredit black leadership saying that things are "double standards".
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

The thing that really gets me is that by now you're probably totally convinced that I'm a bigoted racist. Well, my girlfriend is Mexican and my best friend is a gay black man. I'm about as live and let live as they come. If you and I met in a bar somewhere we would probably get along great. I'm just sick and f/ing tired of always hearing that the white American male is the root of all evil. Give it up man. In terms of oppurtunity you live in the greatest country on Earth and you can go as far as your potential allows. Nobody is holding you back. Why don't you spend some time thinking about the positive aspects of our culture instead? All that hate is going to burn you up.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:15 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communist Data View Post
Why are you so worried about Black on White racism as if that even impacts you or anybody in this country. Blacks are 13% of a population dominated by whites. Where is this obsession coming from that a small handful of Blacks may not like whites?

Even though I don't agree with the tiny percentage of Blacks who do not like whites, at least they can justify why they are upset with whites. What reason do whites have to be mad at Blacks or any other group? They just hate based on skin color, minorities tend to be upset over experienced treatment and historical treatment. If you think racism in this country will ever go away you're delusional. Again the idea of this 1960s version of an angry black man that feels "the man" is holding them down, is a stereotype and shows you do not know any Black people personally.
1) That's not what I said. In fact, I said the opposite.

2) The fact that you'd even say that proves to me i'm debating a lightweight. When you've got your skills honed, come back and we'll debate deeper issues. But to say that I "do not know any Black people personally" is beyond absurd.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:16 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You're a teacher? Ok, i'm not impressed then. The fact that you squandered an opportunity to show your knowledge of statistics is disappointing. Let me just say this: "As a percentage of population" is a generally-accepted standard in measuring social issues. You can't come along and prop up a statistic that suits your agenda without an accurate basis for using that statistic. Sorry, it just doesn't work that way, unless you're intentionally being disingenuous. I don't think you want to go down the statistics road. It's not pretty for black people.
Sir, I could careless what impresses you. I'm doing something with my life and for my community while your only complaining about it, therefore my moral compass and my self-concept is higher than yours could be.

You sir, have given up an opportunity to get schooled, and you last sentence proves just what you are.

It was nice talking to you.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:17 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,191,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
As opposed to defending her before the truth came out?
No Beck would be bashing and calling her a racist but for the truth being revealed.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:18 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,701,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Brilliant? That was nothing but pure, unadulterated excuse making for black-racism - which does exist - contrary to what the author of that post surmises.

The fact that you'd consider that piece "brilliant" is beyond farcical. There's not one ounce of guilt anywhere within the genome of this human being. Why? Because i'm not a racist. I simply point out where racism exists and call out those who use it to their advantage.
You cannot repudiate a general rule by pointing out an exception to the rule. Never have you heard me say that ALL white people are guilty of anything. I think that it is understood, by those who want to understand, that statements of white or black propensities are not meant to be ABSOLUTE RULES, but general rules. Hence, you either don’t have the ability to understand or you don’t want to understand, which leads you to try discrediting a general proposition by pointing out how YOU are not that way and therefore…..the argument is thus fallacious.

If you want to find the person who is to be discredited, in what they are arguing, simply find the person who is employing logical fallacies. Argument or debate fallacies are simply untruths that are not overtly obvious because they seem superficially logical. You used a couple of logical fallacies in your rebuttal just now. You used the “Straw man”, which is to misrepresent my position then argue against that misrepresentation. You did that by implying that my argument pertained to ALL white people, which you could thus refute by saying that “I am not like that…..so the theory is debunked”. The other fallacy you used is the “fallacy of composition”. This is when a person attempt to argue that what is true of a part is true for the whole, or visa versa. This is related to your straw man assertion in that you assume that a statement I make about the whole applies to all its parts. For example, if I said that a certain sports team is not a good “Team”, one cannot refute that by pointing out a good individual player on the team. If the team has a losing record it cannot be offset by pointing out the outstanding statistics of an individual player.

This is where the hypocrisy comes in and the quest to maintain the belief in racial supremacy comes in. Note that many whites go to great links to attempt to offset talk of white racism with talk of black racism, to promote the percepton of EQUALITY, as opposed to INFERIORITY of negative bahavior with blacks. In the abstract, whites don’t want whites to feel inferior morally so they go to great links to always offset talk of white racism, a negative, with talk of black racism. However, is the opposite true? How often do whites try to “Equalize” or “Normalize” negative perceptions about black people by pointing out whites behaving the same way? When the topic is personal irresponsibility in black people, how often do you hear these same white folks chiming in attempting to equalize black behavior with white behavior? When the topic is out of wedlock births, how often do you hear white people attempting to equalize the behavior with whites? When you talk about crime and violence, how often do you hear whites trying to equalize the behavior with blacks? In other words, when the topic is negatively or inferior behavior in the black community, there is hardly any attempt to offset those stories with stories of white folks behaving the same way, offered by white folks to the discussion. Why is that? It’s because white people are COMFORTABLE with the notion of black inferiority but UNCOMFORTABLE with the notion of white inferiority relative to blacks.

There is no “shame” or no feeling of “moral inferiority” or abnormality when the topic is negative behaviors in blacks. Rather, it’s the opposite. It’s a ego boost to feel their race behaves better and it produces subconscious “Pride” and a sense of “Superiority”. It also helps to uphold beliefs that the problems and inequality of blacks is “self created”, which allows them to not feel a sense of “responsibility” as citizens of a nation that legalized the oppression of black people, carried out by white peoples. Thus, black inferiority both rationalizes black inequality and excuses white racism, historical and present, and it helps whites feel better about themselves to see themselves as a “Superior race”. Of course, many whites will deny that they are connected to this way of thinking and I am certainly not saying that they all are. However, far too many whites argue from the premise that they are THE MICROCOSM of white people, for this not to be generally true. I mean, if you know that white racism exist out there and have existed and that it has had a negative impact upon black people, then why the hell many white folks go through such great lengths to repudiate blacks claims based upon noting more than the fact that THEY ARE NOT RACIST? Why defend or hide the white racism that actually does exist…..just because you are not a racist? Just because YOU are not a racist does not mean that blacks are not impacted by the racism from other whites, which you then defend by your repudiation of black claims based upon YOUR experience, regardless of the experience of black people.
Nuff said.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-20-2010 at 06:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies