Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 06:52 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,846,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
I hate to say it, but the problem lies with the whole idea of gangster & rap culture. Don't get me wrong; I am not some old man saying "Them kids and their music!" because I do enjoy some artists such as Jay-z, Beyonce, Lil' Wayne, and others.

But that's just it- I enjoy it. I don't live that culture. Kids tend to emulate things they see. I'm eighteen, by the way, so I am fresh out of high school and can honestly say that despite what anybody else says WE DO COPY CELEBRITIES AND TV SHOWS. Teen pregnancy jumped because of Juno and Secret Life of the American Teenager. I am guilty of this, too. I dressed exactly like Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy for my entire Sophomore year.

Does this mean we should censor anything? No! Hell no. I like Juno, too, but don't feel the need to go out and knock a girl up. I am opposed to any form of censorship and in fact I think we should relax censorship in this country.

The problem is, rap culture glorifies drug dealing, pimps, hos, bling, sagging pants, drug usage, drinking, partying, and other bad aspects of life. Those are the black role models kids have- them, Obama, and sports stars who are just as bad as the gangsta rappers. Around 70% of black teens conform to black culture in some way. Am I racist for saying that? Nope, it's a fact. Sorry if you don't want to hear about Arneshia having four kids and a pimp- because it *does* happen more often to black teens. And that's a tragedy because there are plenty of intelligent, bright black kids who feel the pressure to conform to that negative behavior and gangsta culture. They are ostracized if they aren't.

You remind me of one of my black friends named- sadly- Tom. I say "sadly" because he was always called Uncle Tom by other black kids. The reason? He has glasses, doesn't sag his pants or wear extra-large t shirts, and has a 3.8 GPA. It's sad.
what your saying is not true ,where are you from?

yeah those are your friends everyone do not sag and im speaking of american blacks and they werent called uncle toms for not sagging, you know how many people wear glasses black ones?

all those ncaa college basketball players, doctors, aspiring nurses, teachers, lawyers and all things positive who are black are toms huh. GPA doesnt mean squat to whats an uncle tom that there is an ignorant misguided stereptype used against blacks and by black idiots i have never seen nor heard anyone say that not even in the hood.

Last edited by city414; 07-20-2010 at 07:03 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 06:54 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,451,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Dem_PA View Post
Please .. do you know ANY African American with any decent degree asking a question like that here on this board? lol

TROLL bait

And why not? Because YOU feel it would not happen?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,413,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
The type of school where you can get into trouble for talking too much in class, skipping class, showing up late, and showing up drunk. i.e. upstanding citizen enforcement. My school also provided leadership and mentoring classes. Back in the day they had civics classes. Civics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yeah so did mine but I'm trying to figure out where you got the idea that it was the responsibility of teachers to raise students to be upstanding citizens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Who is we? Has a committee been formed? Why wasn't I notified?
i asked that question a couple of pages ago but I don't think the OP ever answered

Old 07-20-2010, 06:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,451,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communist Data View Post
Professor Griff is a racist trying to stir something up. Not sure this is allowed(Rhetorical) yet my post questioning why the NAACP is racist was removed for "trolling" right.

And why is he a racist? Because you think so? What did the OP say that was at all racist?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:01 PM

57 posts, read 81,257 times
Why can't we all just get along?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:22 PM

88,884 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
yeah so did mine but I'm trying to figure out where you got the idea that it was the responsibility of teachers to raise students to be upstanding citizens?

i asked that question a couple of pages ago but I don't think the OP ever answered
I admire you for getting through a couple of pages.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,043,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communist Data View Post
The Nonsense is you a White person trying to tell me a Black person how things are in the Black community using stereotypes of Black households.
The statistics confirm what I'm telling you.

High teen pregnancy, high drop out rate, high use of drugs, high rate of gangs, violence, crime, high rate of single parent homes, high rate of illiteracy and perpetual poverty.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,310,932 times
How do we cure white smugness?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:42 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,816,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
A lot of men are surprised that women can do things well. It doesn't necessarily mean he thought you were amazing due to your skin color...unless there have been other things that led you to this conclusion. Further, men are always amazed when a woman can learn quickly, and even more amazed when it's something outside her field.

I know it happens often that people of all skin colors openly express shock or surprise when they meet someone who doesn't fit a stereotype. People do and say stupid things.
This underestimation of skills doesn't harm those having them the way it hurts businesses who did the underestimating. That's a mechanism of capitalism that serves as harsh punishment & loss for those engaged in discrimination wrongfully even if it fell under the radar of law enforcement. Failing to properly value talent means your competitor gained the advantage. Businesses built on nepotism fail to thrive over time, and attempting to tilt grace and favor too far with overzealous affirmative action programs becomes another brand of nepotism. It will fail to thrive, defeating the point entirely.

This mentality that the rest of America, particularly business, is obliged to daily deliver therapy to black, minorities, women... disqualifies them as legit candidates. That thinking needs to be tossed in the trash can and the realization that nobody owes anything beyond fair play reaffirmed. The purpose is equality and fair play, not vengeance or dominance over another. These kinds of ego games are quite costly to business. A select few folks interpretation of equality took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and needs to get back on track. The only thing affirmative action can do is provide access to a door, the rest is up to the individual, sink or swim. Affirmative action needs limits, and time lines for dissolution, not embellishment or expansion.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 PM

387 posts, read 534,041 times
Not all corporations and universities are sink or swim. A lot of corporations offer on the job training and individualized guidance. Entrance into a corporation or university isn't a promise that they won't be looked down on with scorn and hostility. Entrance doesn't evaporate negative biases that employers hold against their minority employees. At times they are often judged on impossible standards that are not imposed on non-minority individuals. Employers are obligated to fire anyone they dislike. Reliable performance and competency doesn't guarantee anyone a stay in their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
The only thing affirmative action can do is provide access to a door, the rest is up to the individual, sink or swim. Affirmative action needs limits, and time lines for dissolution, not embellishment or expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies